Worthwhile intertubez finds

Andrew

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Andrew » 02 Dec 2018, 22:07

Linguistic history of the word "bear." It would appear that Berlin, Berne, and Brno all basically mean "bear town," but not in the way that Ellie would hope.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 06 Dec 2018, 17:40

The Baby Name Voyager: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

It's kind of amazing how faddish many, many names have been. Howard? Huge about a hundred years ago, almost nothing now. Courtney? Massive in the 1980s and 1990s, pretty much nonexistent otherwise. Elaine? Big in the 1920s-40s, then fades into obscurity. Jason? Goes from basically nothing prior to 1960, then is huge for the 1960s and 70s, then crashes again. Kay? Almost certainly born around WWII, and nobody is naming their babies Kay now.

And it even does substring matching! If you start entering "Broo" you can see how Brooke started to take off in the 1960s, followed at roughly 20-year intervals by Brooklyn, Brooklynn, and Brooks.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Dec 2018, 18:21

Warren's mounting a comeback!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Dec 2018, 19:01

Don't call it a comeback! You've been here for years, rocking your peers and putting suckers in fear!
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 Dec 2018, 20:40

I remember growing up Ester was always seen as an old lady name, and yep after 1970 it disappears.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Dec 2018, 23:08

That's actually really interesting to me. The virulence plasmids for yersinia pestis seem to spring up only the last few thousand years. So it's kind of cool to me that they are starting to realize it's been around a lot longer than thought. And plague ain't nothing to fuck with. It's got a host of anti-phagocytosis mechanisms. I've only been a part of one training session but apparently peeps above me are terrified of someone catching the pnuemonic form from an animal interaction.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Dec 2018, 08:52

Jennifer will become an old lady name in the coming years.

Also, despite being more common in the 90s than it is now, Alexander's rank went from 23rd to 8th.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Dec 2018, 10:18

Mo wrote:Jennifer will become an old lady name in the coming years.

Also, despite being more common in the 90s than it is now, Alexander's rank went from 23rd to 8th.
Everybody wants to rule the world.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 07 Dec 2018, 14:17

John Dingell has some plans on "how to save government": https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... nt/577222/

(spoiler: "saving government" looks remarkably like the lefty shortlist of demands) It's interesting mostly because of who the author is (Dingell was the longest-ever-serving Congressman). Basically, he wants automatic voter registration; to do away with the Senate and the Electoral College; and to "get money out of campaigning", by which he actually means "make the state responsible for money in campaigning".
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Dec 2018, 18:18

Mo wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:52
Jennifer will become an old lady name in the coming years.
That's going to be deeply weird to my cohort.

Or maybe it will be like stereotypical old lady names in the past...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Dec 2018, 18:34

I have to admit, I think it's progress not to have three-quarters of the public think government almost always does the right thing. I'm not sure what I think about 18%, though. I wish a sane skepticism were on the table, but people seem to flip from total trust to total distrust at the drop of a hat (or which branch or agency of government they're talking about).

Policy-wise I have no problem with automatic/no voter registration, and after 2016, I see no justification left for the Electoral College. However, in his talk about protecting independent journalism, I don't see anything but a stop hurrrrrting America-esque plea for people not to use Trump's rhetoric. Whoop de fucking doo. I'm skeptical of getting rid of the Senate (even as he complains about the "hyper-partisan House"), and he can go fuck himself sideways on "getting money out of" politics.

As for *gasp* minorities having an ability to counter majorities having power over them, I can't sympathize much. But it's to Blue benefit to confuse the issue there with the minority having greater power than the majority—conflating effective vetoes and supermajoritarian requirements with gerrymandering and other abuses of democracy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Dec 2018, 14:01

Ok 2018, put down the pipe. Ammon Bundy is now pro caravan and anti-Trump.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/ ... ravan.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Dec 2018, 14:37

Neo needs to just reboot the matrix already.
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2018, 14:42

Not until I get a piece of orgasm cake.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Dec 2018, 14:58

Painboy wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 20:40
I remember growing up Ester was always seen as an old lady name, and yep after 1970 it disappears.
Yeah my grandmother had an old fashioned name that disappeared so no one has heard of it... Adele.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » Today, 10:08

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » Today, 10:19

I think there was a radio lab on that. Super freaky.

Warren

Post by Warren » Today, 11:23

Highway wrote:
Today, 10:08
Maybe I'll just never go outside again
That's the dream.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT