Worthwhile intertubez finds

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9500
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 May 2018, 22:32

I think the British say Chinaman. They also say "let's go for a Chinaman," which means get Chinese food.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22566
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 03 May 2018, 22:35

I heard Chinese food in London sucks.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22566
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 03 May 2018, 22:36

OMG. I could not handle being the letter writer in the “Wireless in the Woods” situation. I would be so fucking petty it would be the last dance with Mary Jane.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/0 ... et-me.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9500
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 May 2018, 22:37

Mo wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:35
I heard Chinese food in London sucks.
Probably. It did everywhere I tried it in Europe. It's like bad American Chinese food.

Oddly, I had really good Mexican food in Canterbury of all places.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22566
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 03 May 2018, 22:41

You’d think running Hong Kong would at least give them access to half decent Cantonese food
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10082
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 04 May 2018, 10:43

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:32
I think the British say Chinaman.
...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9500
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 May 2018, 12:16

JD wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:43
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:32
I think the British say Chinaman.
...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
I dunno. Europeans are both shockingly intentionally racist and shockingly unintentionally racist.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6025
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Andrew » 04 May 2018, 12:33

JD wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:43
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:32
I think the British say Chinaman.
...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
Beat me to it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15251
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dhex » 04 May 2018, 12:39

Mo wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:36
OMG. I could not handle being the letter writer in the “Wireless in the Woods” situation. I would be so fucking petty it would be the last dance with Mary Jane.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/0 ... et-me.html
hahaha i'd be all fuck that guy forever. you don't get to be a cunt then un-cunt things like magic just 'cause.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 04 May 2018, 12:49

Is "This is actually terrible advice" the affectation Dear Prudence?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25782
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by thoreau » 04 May 2018, 13:20

quadrants-2.jpg
quadrants-2.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22120
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 04 May 2018, 13:32

Meh.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 04 May 2018, 14:10

I mean
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10965
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Ellie » 04 May 2018, 15:03

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 12:16
JD wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:43
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:32
I think the British say Chinaman.
...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
I dunno. Europeans are both shockingly intentionally racist and shockingly unintentionally racist.
*deliberately ignoring the Lebowski reference*

I used to be internet-friends with an Asian American woman who went to grad school in England, and she was surprised to find that in England people said "Chinese" as a catch-all for East Asian, because "Asian" to them referred to Indian/Pakistani.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13247
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Kolohe » 04 May 2018, 16:52

thoreau wrote:
04 May 2018, 13:20
quadrants-2.jpg
I like it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10082
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 04 May 2018, 17:23

Kolohe wrote:
04 May 2018, 16:52
thoreau wrote:
04 May 2018, 13:20
quadrants-2.jpg
I like it.
I think it's pretty funny.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22566
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 04 May 2018, 20:29

Ellie wrote:
04 May 2018, 15:03
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 12:16
JD wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:43
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:32
I think the British say Chinaman.
...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
I dunno. Europeans are both shockingly intentionally racist and shockingly unintentionally racist.
*deliberately ignoring the Lebowski reference*

I used to be internet-friends with an Asian American woman who went to grad school in England, and she was surprised to find that in England people said "Chinese" as a catch-all for East Asian, because "Asian" to them referred to Indian/Pakistani.
They also use Oriental. I've also heard Oriental used in the classic term, which was referring to the Near/Mid East.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9500
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 May 2018, 20:31

Mo wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:29
Ellie wrote:
04 May 2018, 15:03
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 12:16
JD wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:43
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:32
I think the British say Chinaman.
...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
I dunno. Europeans are both shockingly intentionally racist and shockingly unintentionally racist.
*deliberately ignoring the Lebowski reference*

I used to be internet-friends with an Asian American woman who went to grad school in England, and she was surprised to find that in England people said "Chinese" as a catch-all for East Asian, because "Asian" to them referred to Indian/Pakistani.
They also use Oriental. I've also heard Oriental used in the classic term, which was referring to the Near/Mid East.
I have never figured out why or how Americans started using Oriental to refer to things East Asian.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 04 May 2018, 20:36

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:31
Mo wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:29
Ellie wrote:
04 May 2018, 15:03
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 12:16
JD wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:43
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:32
I think the British say Chinaman.
...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
I dunno. Europeans are both shockingly intentionally racist and shockingly unintentionally racist.
*deliberately ignoring the Lebowski reference*

I used to be internet-friends with an Asian American woman who went to grad school in England, and she was surprised to find that in England people said "Chinese" as a catch-all for East Asian, because "Asian" to them referred to Indian/Pakistani.
They also use Oriental. I've also heard Oriental used in the classic term, which was referring to the Near/Mid East.
I have never figured out why or how Americans started using Oriental to refer to things East Asian.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman
Posts: 6106
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Dangerman » 04 May 2018, 20:43

The two halves of the world are Christendom and Dar al Islam.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22566
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 04 May 2018, 20:58

Warren wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:36
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:31
Mo wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:29
Ellie wrote:
04 May 2018, 15:03
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 12:16
JD wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:43


...so you're saying it is the preferred nomenclature?
I dunno. Europeans are both shockingly intentionally racist and shockingly unintentionally racist.
*deliberately ignoring the Lebowski reference*

I used to be internet-friends with an Asian American woman who went to grad school in England, and she was surprised to find that in England people said "Chinese" as a catch-all for East Asian, because "Asian" to them referred to Indian/Pakistani.
They also use Oriental. I've also heard Oriental used in the classic term, which was referring to the Near/Mid East.
I have never figured out why or how Americans started using Oriental to refer to things East Asian.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
Did you read it? Because there was no explanation, just that it started happening in the second half of the 20th century. It would be like all of the sudden referring to the Mountain Time Zone states as the Midwest, just because.
In the later Roman Empire, the Praefectura Praetorio Orientis, the Praetorian prefecture of the East, included most of the Eastern Roman Empire from the eastern Balkans eastwards; its easternmost part was the Diocese of the East, the Dioecesis Orientis, corresponding roughly to the region of Syria. Over time, the common understanding of "the Orient" has continually shifted eastwards, as European people traveled farther into Asia. It finally reached the Pacific Ocean, in what Westerners came to call "the Far East". These shifts in time and identification sometimes confuse the scope (historical and geographic) of Oriental Studies. Yet there remain contexts where "the Orient" and "Oriental" have kept their older meanings (e.g., "Oriental spices" typically are from the regions extending from the Middle East to sub-continental India to Indo-China). Travelers may again take the Orient Express train from Paris to its terminus in the European part of Istanbul, a route established in the early 20th century.

In European historiography, the meaning of "the Orient" changed in scope several times. Originally, the term referred to Egypt, the Levant, and adjoining areas. as far west as Morocco. During the 1800s, India, and to a lesser extent China, began to displace the Levant as the primary subject of Orientalist research. By the mid-20th century, Western scholars generally considered "the Orient" as just East Asia, Southeast Asia, and eastern Central Asia. As recently as the early 20th century, the term "Orient" often continued to be used in ways that included North Africa.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10965
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Ellie » 04 May 2018, 23:35

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:31
Mo wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:29
They also use Oriental. I've also heard Oriental used in the classic term, which was referring to the Near/Mid East.
I have never figured out why or how Americans started using Oriental to refer to things East Asian.
I had it drilled into my head that "Oriental is for rugs, Asian is for people." (I recognize that FFF said things East Asian, not people East Asian, so I am not addressing him personally. Just saying!)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22566
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 05 May 2018, 00:16

Ellie wrote:
04 May 2018, 23:35
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:31
Mo wrote:
04 May 2018, 20:29
They also use Oriental. I've also heard Oriental used in the classic term, which was referring to the Near/Mid East.
I have never figured out why or how Americans started using Oriental to refer to things East Asian.
I had it drilled into my head that "Oriental is for rugs, Asian is for people." (I recognize that FFF said things East Asian, not people East Asian, so I am not addressing him personally. Just saying!)
Ture, but that's very much a late 20th century American thing*. The more you think about, "Oriental is for rugs, Asian is for people," the less it makes sense. You basically defined an adjective.

* Which means Oriental as a description of East Asians in the US was polite for around 25 years.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12766
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Highway » 07 May 2018, 11:35

As we were discussing the height limits in DC the other day, there's an article today on CityLab defending the height limit as a driver of creativity in design.
Last edited by Highway on 07 May 2018, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 07 May 2018, 11:45

Highway wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:35
As we were discussing the height limits in DC the other day, there's an article today on CityLab defending the height limit as a driver of creativity in design.
Page Not Found
ETA
https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/05/ ... ne/558368/
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests