Worthwhile intertubez finds

dhex

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dhex » 31 Aug 2017, 20:29

that's cool.

the underlying sentiment with that stuff kinda creeps me out a bit, cause like...what do you think new york in 1910 looked like? anything like 1960?
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Sep 2017, 10:53

A British lefty joined a Facebook group for Trump supporters. I really hope they are lying about what they found.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Sep 2017, 11:23

thoreau wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:53
A British lefty joined a Facebook group for Trump supporters. I really hope they are lying about what they found.
I do not think they are lying.

However, I do dispute his underlying assumption that "Trump Supporters" = "All Conservatives"
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 01 Sep 2017, 12:06

Holy Fuck. Why only have a 2-Minutes Hate when you can just simmer in that thick stew of 24-hour hate?

EDIT: I've also heard people state, in person, that protesters should be run over if they block the roads (Pre-Charlottesville)...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Sep 2017, 12:27

Taktix® wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 12:06
Holy Fuck. Why only have a 2-Minutes Hate when you can just simmer in that thick stew of 24-hour hate?

EDIT: I've also heard people state, in person, that protesters should be run over if they block the roads (Pre-Charlottesville)...
Oh, yeah, the "run over protesters" thing is totally a big thing, especially with the law and order types. Cause "Blocking the roads is a crime!" Yeah, and so is vehicular manslaughter, and one's way more of a crime than the other.

I think I've gotten through to a couple people (out of more than a couple tried) with the point that people don't want to protest. They don't want to block roads and march. They do that when they are ignored in the other ways of being noticed, of getting their voices heard. Why do they have a protest march? Because the cops don't stop harrassing them, or killing people, even with cameras and being filmed. And when they do kill people, nothing happens to them. So would you just sit back and take it? "Oh well of course I would, I respect the law!" Right after you said that you should run people over, right. Somehow I don't believe you.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Sep 2017, 12:40

Isn't it a basic tenet of lawn order that if a person is committing a crime any and all acts of violence against them are permissible?

Unless they take over a federal facility, of course.

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Sep 2017, 13:16

Highway wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 12:27
Taktix® wrote:

Oh, yeah, the "run over protesters" thing is totally a big thing, especially with the law and order types. Cause "Blocking the roads is a crime!" Yeah, and so is vehicular manslaughter, and one's way more of a crime than the other.

I think I've gotten through to a couple people (out of more than a couple tried) with the point that people don't want to protest. They don't want to block roads and march. They do that when they are ignored in the other ways of being noticed, of getting their voices heard. Why do they have a protest march? Because the cops don't stop harrassing them, or killing people, even with cameras and being filmed. And when they do kill people, nothing happens to them. So would you just sit back and take it? "Oh well of course I would, I respect the law!" Right after you said that you should run people over, right. Somehow I don't believe you.
Yeah, I also love when they aggressively misunderstand that actually, inconveniencing people is part of the point.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 01 Sep 2017, 13:27

I'm not to the point of running people over, but if you impede me from getting to where I need to go, you have lost me as a supporter.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2017, 20:42

Taktix® wrote:

I have to admit, years back, I probably voiced something like that idea about Critical Mass protests. I was never actually serious, mind. And I wouldn't have said it more recently, because people have been deliberately plowing into crowds in Europe and Asia.

But I'm sure there's something I've posted out there, saying just that.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Sep 2017, 04:59

The fabulous bullshit of Dr. Paolo Macchiarini.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/01 ... r-scam/amp
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Sep 2017, 10:41

That woman loves herself some society weddings and doesn't like to disclose her conflict of interest in any tweets she makes about the doctor
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Sep 2017, 23:06

Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Sep 2017, 23:19

Kolohe wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 10:41
That woman loves herself some society weddings and doesn't like to disclose her conflict of interest in any tweets she makes about the doctor
Oops! That guy she married for five minutes was gay, right?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Sep 2017, 21:17

Some background on the distracted boyfriend meme:

https://www.wired.com/story/distracted- ... interview/

--Jake

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 07 Sep 2017, 17:24

Hunter S. Thompson reviews the Ducati 900 Supersport motorcycle.

http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Sep 2017, 19:46

Looks like Equifax's CFO is going to do some jail time. http://www.businessinsider.com/equifax- ... ack-2017-9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Sep 2017, 08:35

Could also go under bad AI or Facebook Follies.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Sep 2017, 09:18

For a platform that knows so much about me, I think it’s incredible how far off the mark most of their suggestions are.
Yeeeep.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Sep 2017, 10:08

My biggest problem with the 'memories' thing is that I hardly ever post pictures of stuff I've done in real time, especially vacation out of town trips.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 12 Sep 2017, 13:06

I'm fairly convinced that Facebook is a branch of the NSA. Mark Zuckerberg is Big Head (from Silicon Valley).

I have an account, but it has very little information about me and I haven't logged in for at least 2 years, yet I still get notifications from them.

Also if you have a business and your only web presence is a Facebook page, well sorry. I'm not going to make the effort.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Sep 2017, 13:12

FB is allowing me to keep tabs on my relations in FL what decided to ride out Irma without having to actually communicate with them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Sep 2017, 13:36

Before too long, FB in the 1st world will have to confront a wave of people leaving because they can't risk social-media blowups. Several of my friends in tech now only have professional bullshytte pap pablum content on anything that's publicly facing at all, and use email and P2P for actually keeping in touch.

I imagine a time when Big Zuck is left with a network of left-behind, out-of-touch oldsters (NO OFFENSE! Some of my best Internet Friends are out-of-touch oldsters!), trashy people who don't care if their trashy life is public because you can't kill a career that never was, and profiles for prominent people/groups that aren't really giving FB that good juice because they are professionally maintained and manicured.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2017, 13:38

I would be more impressed by services that let me keep tabs on family if said services could also be integrated with drones.

--Jake

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Sep 2017, 13:46

Dangerman wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:36
Before too long, FB in the 1st world will have to confront a wave of people leaving because they can't risk social-media blowups. Several of my friends in tech now only have professional bullshytte pap pablum content on anything that's publicly facing at all, and use email and P2P for actually keeping in touch.

I imagine a time when Big Zuck is left with a network of left-behind, out-of-touch oldsters (NO OFFENSE! Some of my best Internet Friends are out-of-touch oldsters!), trashy people who don't care if their trashy life is public because you can't kill a career that never was, and profiles for prominent people/groups that aren't really giving FB that good juice because they are professionally maintained and manicured.
FB actually has better privacy controls for lowering the likelihood of some kind of social media blowup, whereas Twitter seems custom-designed to create said blowups.

I really need an alt account.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren