Worthwhile intertubez finds

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Sandy » 08 Feb 2018, 12:53

Mo wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 19:54
How has it taken over 2 hours for this to appear on the gryll? Son I am disappoint.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/richard-p ... lon-brando
Leaves out important information, like before he turned into a whale or after?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Feb 2018, 13:08

She said the 70s, so sometime between The Godfather and Apocalypse Now.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Feb 2018, 21:51

Trigger Warning for Freddie DeBoer, but I like this metaphorical take on outrage culture

http://archive.is/g4mfx
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 19 Feb 2018, 23:23

I wonder how much his nostalgia for the radicals and queers of his youth is colored by ignorance of the policing that went on?

Though clearly not all movements self police equally. Social Justice is becoming (has become) Maoist-level.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Feb 2018, 23:43

I liked Conor Friedersdorf's article in the same vein today.

The Excesses of Callout Culture
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Feb 2018, 10:10

Disgusting radical centrism at its peak smh. /s

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 20 Feb 2018, 11:20

Highway wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 23:43
I liked Conor Friedersdorf's article in the same vein today.

The Excesses of Callout Culture
The least charitable critics of the social-justice left will say that I am being naive;
Oh, you sweet summer child.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Feb 2018, 11:37

Bari Weiss is a doofus, and she got into a turd storm largely for sextupling down on the initial bad tweet.

Friedersdorf is a doofus for not recognizing this, and for glossing over the "eternal foreigner" bit with his "immigrants are as American as everyone else" bit, which is great though it smells of "immigrants reflect well on me. Awesome people wouldn't come here if we weren't awesome. America, yay! We aren't terrible, don't remind me of the few million civilians we've killed in stupid wars since 1945!" and also ignored how fucking tired of that shit everyone who isn't black or white gets. It's like if you're a white 65 year old, you still don't call a fifteen year old black male a "boy."

If you expect Twitter to behave in any other way, you are a doofus. Twitter is designed for such asshole pileons. It's like those zombie horses in the Walking Dead. One starts, others follow, others follow them. And so on, until it burns itself out.

Everyone on Twitter should be liquidated.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Feb 2018, 11:40

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 11:37
Nowadays that would constitute a literal coup against the state.

Not saying you're wrong, mind you.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Feb 2018, 11:46

thoreau wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 11:40
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 11:37
Nowadays that would constitute a literal coup against the state.

Not saying you're wrong, mind you.
I mean all their property should be seized and sold at auction and that they should be sold into slavery. If there aren't enough buyers, they should be forced to build galleys which they will then be forced to row to the Kerguelen Islands where they will descend into cannibalism. The survivors will eventually die off, though we may make intermittent and meager supply drops so as to prolong their suffering. It should probably be livestreamed, maybe on Twitch.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Feb 2018, 12:25

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Feb 2018, 13:04

Clearly, it's the secret backstory to Rust.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Feb 2018, 19:19

thoreau wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 12:25
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter twitch stream.
Ftfy, gramps.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 20 Feb 2018, 22:53

Dangerman wrote:
thoreau wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 12:25
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter twitch stream.
Ftfy, gramps.
Twitch lacks the warmth of badly-mimeographed paper with unintelligible images.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Mar 2018, 08:50

Obama was right about clinging to guns and religion.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Mar 2018, 10:17

Mo wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 08:50
The ovations for St. Mikhail Kalashnikov were touching.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Mar 2018, 10:34

fuckin moonies.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Mar 2018, 12:13

Mo wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 08:50
Tim Elder, Unification Sanctuary's director of world missions, told worshippers the ceremony was meant to be a blessing of couples, not "inanimate objects," calling the AR-15 a "religious accoutrement." The church has held at least one other ceremony featuring assault-style rifles.
Stay off my side please.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Mar 2018, 16:44

The best part about America's gun culture is the part that's focused on safety and responsibility. They are the best argument against substantial tightening of gun laws.

The worst part about America's gun culture is the part that wants to turn schools into armed fortresses and hold ceremonies to bless armed couples. They are the best argument in favor of tighter gun control laws and involuntary psychiatric commitment.
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 08 Mar 2018, 15:15

City of Los Angeles v. Patel (2015) : LA used to require all hotel operators to keep a surprisingly detailed logbook about all customers, which had to be provided to police on demand. The Patels and other hotel operators sued, claiming this was a violation of their Fourth Amendment rights. The city, not surprisingly, argued that this was just one of the regulations that went along with operating a hotel. The Supreme Court held (narrowly) in favor of Patel.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 08 Mar 2018, 15:25

Horne v. Department of Agriculture (2015) : The 1949 "Marketing Order Regulating the Handling of Raisins Produced from Grapes Grown in California" "authorized the federal government to reserve a percentage of the yearly California raisin crop to stabilize the supply, and thus the price, of California raisins". Horne decided to process his own raisins, claiming that this exempted him from the reserve; the Dept of Ag disagreed. Horne won on Fifth Amendment grounds.

I'm not sure how "Justice Sotomayor also argued (in favor of the Dept of Ag) that precedent establishes that the government may require an individual to give up some property rights as a condition of engaging in regulated commerce" while almost simultaneously deciding in favor of Patel, but I guess being a Supreme means never having to justify yourself...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Mar 2018, 16:55

What has always struck me as weird about Patel is that the hotels complained. Most, if not all, of the hotels in Phoenix turn over registers upon police request to: keep the cops happy (meaning they show up promptly if called), be able to advertise that they're crime-free, and be able to tell their insurance company and/or various regulatory agencies they engage in crime prevention and aren't blight upon a neighborhood.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 19:16

Andrew wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 16:55
What has always struck me as weird about Patel is that the hotels complained. Most, if not all, of the hotels in Phoenix turn over registers upon police request to: keep the cops happy (meaning they show up promptly if called), be able to advertise that they're crime-free, and be able to tell their insurance company and/or various regulatory agencies they engage in crime prevention and aren't blight upon a neighborhood.
Well you know, it's LA.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Mar 2018, 20:18

I'm surprised the raisin case went that way because it seems to me almost the same as Wickard.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 21:28

Kolohe wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:18
I'm surprised the raisin case went that way because it seems to me almost the same as Wickard.
I'm not for sure, but I think a couple of justices had been replaced since Wickard.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges