Worthwhile intertubez finds

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Jan 2018, 12:23

Doing a Ted Talk? Don't you get paid for those? Or are you just trapped in the room all day as your reward?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Jan 2018, 14:03

"My daddy bought me a ski trip, and all I got was this lousy TEDTalk."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 Jan 2018, 14:14

TED talks are like school. Mostly crap but occasionally something worth paying attention to.

Jake

Post by Jake » 26 Jan 2018, 15:27

I'd do a TED Talk in a heartbeat. It's not about whether they're really all that useful (or remunerative); it's about other people, some of whom are in positions of power and influence, hearing that you've done a TED Talk. That gets you a seat at certain tables that might not otherwise be open to you.

(This is not to say that people who are unimpressed with TED Talks are wrong; it's just that thoughtful people who've thought about TED Talks for more than thirty seconds are far more rare than the ones who still assume that "gave a TED Talk = modern Einstein".)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jan 2018, 17:42

Sure, I'd do a TED TAlk in a heartbeat, but nobody is going to ask me to do a TED Talk. If I did anything worthy of a TED Talk, I might not want to sully my accomplishment/reputation with a TED Talk.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jan 2018, 18:24

Warren wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 17:42
Sure, I'd do a TED TAlk in a heartbeat, but nobody is going to ask me to do a TED Talk. If I did anything worthy of a TED Talk, I might not want to sully my accomplishment/reputation with a TED Talk.
That is very Marxist.

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jan 2018, 22:58

A crazy hard video game!

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 31 Jan 2018, 06:09

Jake wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 15:27
I'd do a TED Talk in a heartbeat. It's not about whether they're really all that useful (or remunerative); it's about other people, some of whom are in positions of power and influence, hearing that you've done a TED Talk. That gets you a seat at certain tables that might not otherwise be open to you.

(This is not to say that people who are unimpressed with TED Talks are wrong; it's just that thoughtful people who've thought about TED Talks for more than thirty seconds are far more rare than the ones who still assume that "gave a TED Talk = modern Einstein".)
Question for the room: TEDx talks don't have the same cachet that Ted talks do, right? My employer is hosting a TEDx thing and I'm wondering if I should try to give a talk there.

Honestly, might be good practice for hypothetical future talks even if it in itself doesn't get me much of anywhere.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jan 2018, 09:17

Jadagul wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 06:09
Jake wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 15:27

Question for the room: TEDx talks don't have the same cachet that Ted talks do, right? My employer is hosting a TEDx thing and I'm wondering if I should try to give a talk there.

Honestly, might be good practice for hypothetical future talks even if it in itself doesn't get me much of anywhere.
TEDx events are locally organized and can be of any topic. They are not passed through whatever sorts of Big Think of Our Time criteria normal TED talks use. Anyone can create one. So, no, to the extent TED has cachet, TEDx has less.

I agree that for all that and even for all the mockery you might get, the practice is probably pretty valuable, especially if you capture and are amenable to feedback.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Jan 2018, 10:20

Jadagul wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 06:09

I'd watch.

You'd probably go beyond my comprehension at the first polysyllable, but I'd watch.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 Jan 2018, 10:48

if nothing else it'd be good practice for future presentations, but even within the tremendously variable band of quality that exists for ted*, the tedx stuff is often mercurial.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Jan 2018, 11:16

That's what toastmasters is for.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 31 Jan 2018, 12:58

dhex wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 10:48
if nothing else it'd be good practice for future presentations, but even within the tremendously variable band of quality that exists for ted*, the tedx stuff is often mercurial.
Yeah, there's pretty much a cottage industry of YouTube videos roasting cringey talks from TEDx events. But as long as you just want to use it to practice and you're giving a real talk that's not about why the moon is appropriating Mayan culture or whatever, there's not much downside I can think of, and a fair amount of upside.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Feb 2018, 22:09

This has to be one of the most bizarre Wikipedia articles I've ever read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Traven

I'd assume it was entirely invented except he was the author of Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Feb 2018, 22:51

Andrew wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 22:09

I'd assume it was entirely invented except he was the author of Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
There's always Emperor Norton, but that's genuinely strange.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Feb 2018, 09:12

Eric the .5b wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 22:51
Andrew wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 22:09

There's always Emperor Norton, but that's genuinely strange.
This is the part that really blew my mind:
In 1933, the writer sent the English manuscripts of his three novels – The Death Ship, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Bridge in the Jungle – to the New York City publishing house Alfred A. Knopf for publication, claiming that these were the original versions of the novels and that the earlier published German versions were only translations of them. The Death Ship was published by Knopf in 1934; it was soon followed by further Traven books which appeared in the United States and the United Kingdom. However, comparison of the German and English versions of these books shows significant differences between them. The English texts are usually longer; in both versions there are also fragments which are missing in the other language. The problem is made even more complex by the fact that Traven's books published in English are full of Germanisms whereas those published in German full of Anglicisms.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Feb 2018, 19:41

At a whacky, conspiratorial guess? Neither English nor German was his first language.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Feb 2018, 20:16

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 19:41
At a whacky, conspiratorial guess? Neither English nor German was his first language.
I hadn't considered that. I was thinking extremely fluent in both languages or two guys working together. Whatever the explanation, though, it's a superhuman devotion to fucking with people.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Feb 2018, 09:24

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Feb 2018, 09:32

Haha.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Feb 2018, 09:52

I don't know what's better, William Price-Hound or "It's time for some Bayesian Inference"
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 07 Feb 2018, 10:07

Mo wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 09:52
I don't know what's better, William Price-Hound or "It's time for some Bayesian Inference"
Leon Thotsky FTW
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Feb 2018, 10:38

leon thotsky is high quality.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Feb 2018, 19:54

How has it taken over 2 hours for this to appear on the gryll? Son I am disappoint.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/richard-p ... lon-brando
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Feb 2018, 20:06

Kolohe wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 09:24
Kolohe wrote:
11 Oct 2013, 13:37
Worthwhile Buzzfeed post
The sequel
I have skipped reading that several times in the past week. That was a mistake. The mistake has now been corrected.