Worthwhile intertubez finds

Highway

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Highway » 07 May 2018, 11:50

Warren wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:45
Highway wrote:
07 May 2018, 11:35
As we were discussing the height limits in DC the other day, there's an article today on CityLab defending the height limit as a driver of creativity in design.
Page Not Found
ETA
https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/05/ ... ne/558368/
I fixed the original as well.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 May 2018, 12:34

Yeah I don't know. I'm very The Fountainhead in my architectural views in that I'm a firm believer that form should follow function. A height limit might drive creative style, but that doesn't mean the city wouldn't be better off with bigger, less creative buildings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 May 2018, 12:58

Highway wrote:
As we were discussing the height limits in DC the other day, there's an article today on CityLab defending the height limit as a driver of creativity in design.
Arguments like that always bring to mind villain speeches when they tell the hero that whatever horrible thing the villain did to them the result made them a better person. So the hero should actually be thankful for the villain's actions.

"I made you!"

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 May 2018, 15:45

Eh, constraints inspiring creativity are a real thing. See every formal poetic form.

It's just not a good excuse for a law or regulation.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 May 2018, 15:53

Painboy wrote:
07 May 2018, 12:58
Highway wrote:
Arguments like that always bring to mind villain speeches when they tell the hero that whatever horrible thing the villain did to them the result made them a better person. So the hero should actually be thankful for the villain's actions.

"I made you!"
Without Josef Stalin, we never would have had Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JD

Post by JD » 15 May 2018, 12:26

SCIENCE HAS CONCLUSIVELY PROVEN THAT TWO SPACES AFTER A PERIOD ARE SUPERIOR TO ONE. The wretched one-spacers will be ground into the dust and the two-spacers shall inherit the earth as God himself intended!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 May 2018, 12:38

Only for douchebags that use monospaced fonts in 2018.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 15 May 2018, 13:06

Keep telling yourself that as SCIENCE proves you wrong.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 May 2018, 13:33

I have reached the conclusion that the space wars are the equivalent of the toilet paper wars. To have an opinion beyond, "in certain circumstances, I prefer [n spaces or x toilet roll orientation] but humans have opposable thumbs and can overcome this difficulty,' is to demonstrate one's degeneracy and prove Devo right.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 15 May 2018, 13:36

lunchstealer wrote:
15 May 2018, 13:33
...and prove Devo right.
What, about having a gut feeling?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 May 2018, 13:47

I was taught the two space rule and prefer it.

Whatever.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 May 2018, 14:29

JD wrote:
15 May 2018, 13:36
lunchstealer wrote:
...and prove Devo right.
What, about having a gut feeling?

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 May 2018, 14:56

JD wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:26
SCIENCE HAS CONCLUSIVELY PROVEN THAT TWO SPACES AFTER A PERIOD ARE SUPERIOR TO ONE. The wretched one-spacers will be ground into the dust and the two-spacers shall inherit the earth as God himself intended!
Hear! Hear!

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 15 May 2018, 18:07

lunchstealer wrote:
I have reached the conclusion that the space wars are the equivalent of the toilet paper wars. To have an opinion beyond, "in certain circumstances, I prefer [n spaces or x toilet roll orientation] but humans have opposable thumbs and can overcome this difficulty,' is to demonstrate one's degeneracy and prove Devo right.
The actual answer is that WYSIWYG word processing is terrible.

I type two spaces after a period, to signal that I'm ending a sentence. Then my document compiler takes that information into account when it decides the correct amount of spacing to put there.

Hell, that's happening right now. There were five spaces before this sentence. But you can't see them, because HTML is not WYSIWYG and render spaces intelligently.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 May 2018, 11:28

I can honestly say I was completely unaware there were different opinions on how many spaces after a period.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 May 2018, 11:51

Painboy wrote:I can honestly say I was completely unaware there were different opinions on how many spaces after a period.
Oh man it’s like rule 34 but with arguments.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 May 2018, 12:12

In the beginning was the Word. Then came the fucking word processor.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 May 2018, 15:22

lunchstealer wrote:
16 May 2018, 12:12
In the beginning was the command line.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 May 2018, 15:27

". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 May 2018, 16:33

Jadagul wrote:
16 May 2018, 15:22
lunchstealer wrote:
In the beginning was the command line.
In the beginning Turing created the Machine.

And the Machine was crufty and bogacious, existing in theory only. And von Neumann looked upon the Machine, and saw that it was crufty. He divided the Machine into two Abstractions, the Data and the Code, and yet the two were one Architecture. This is a great Mystery, and the beginning of wisdom.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 May 2018, 18:44

lunchstealer wrote:
Hey, I'll cheerfully take a thought processor.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 May 2018, 18:46

Jadagul wrote:
15 May 2018, 18:07

I type two spaces after a period, to signal that I'm ending a sentence. Then my document compiler takes that information into account when it decides the correct amount of spacing to put there.

Hell, that's happening right now. There were five spaces before this sentence. But you can't see them, because HTML is not WYSIWYG and render spaces intelligently.
This is the correct answer. I'm not kerning or handling the line-endings for the text in these sentences, either!

I write technical documents in org-mode. If someone wants MS Word, I export to it and tidy it up. (In my experience, a PDF goes over just fine, though. 99% of a time someone sends an Excel or MS Word file, it's better as a PDF anyway...) But then, I've never actually had anyone in an academic or professional context actually complain about two spaces after a sentence, even when they could see it. It's always been randos on the internet who cared.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 May 2018, 19:19

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 May 2018, 18:46
Jadagul wrote:
15 May 2018, 18:07

This is the correct answer. I'm not kerning or handling the line-endings for the text in these sentences, either!

I write technical documents in org-mode. If someone wants MS Word, I export to it and tidy it up. (In my experience, a PDF goes over just fine, though. 99% of a time someone sends an Excel or MS Word file, it's better as a PDF anyway...) But then, I've never actually had anyone in an academic or professional context actually complain about two spaces after a sentence, even when they could see it. It's always been randos on the internet who cared.
I'm surprised that I didn't get that kind of bullshit from the graduate dean, who rejected my thesis because I used Times New Roman instead of Courier. But it's possible I just had guessed right about which was the correct number of spaces in her crazed style manual.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 May 2018, 20:16

lunchstealer wrote:
16 May 2018, 19:19
I'm surprised that I didn't get that kind of bullshit from the graduate dean, who rejected my thesis because I used Times New Roman instead of Courier.
WTF?

I hope you resubmitted in Viking Gothic.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 May 2018, 07:35

So the two spaces after a period has reached open war? I think the world is running out of things to argue about these days. What is this timeline we inhabit?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex