Highway wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 13:29
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 12:50
Highway wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 11:36
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 11:01
Offices > full cubes > half cubes > open space > unassigned seating.
I actually prefer pods with tall walls to individual cubicles, at least for my line of work. Half-height walls aren't worth anything, imo.
Full cubes means walls you can't see over.
Can't see over when sitting down or when standing up? Can't see over when standing up is good. When sitting down, but someone walking through can see over all of them, is bad. And I would rather be in pods with 2 other people than individual boxes (maybe that's what you meant by half-cubes?).
I think half-cubes are the low-walled cubes, as opposed to full cubes with the high walls that can't be seen over while standing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

JasonL

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 19 Nov 2017, 15:00

In our org, full cube was tall walls you can’t see over while standing forming aisles, with cubes in the aisles separated by walls you can’t see over while seated but can see over when standing. This creates a little neighborhood in each aisle kinda. Half cubes reduced the separation barrier between cubes in the same aisle to be a barely there desktop barrier that didn’t run the length of the cube - you could lean back from you typing position and see around that barrier to the end of the aisle. They we’re also smaller sqft.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 27 Nov 2017, 12:48

When assigned to a group with more female peers, women tend to shy away from STEM fields and end up in lower-paying, fewer-hour jobs. Men in a group with more women tend to go to more men-dominated professions (i.e., STEM), but earnings are the same either way.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3071681
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Nov 2017, 12:51

Sandy wrote:When assigned to a group with more female peers, women tend to shy away from STEM fields and end up in lower-paying, fewer-hour jobs. Men in a group with more women tend to go to more men-dominated professions (i.e., STEM), but earnings are the same either way.

This doesn't fit with narratives that I am allowed to agree with, so it follows that it must be wrong.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Nov 2017, 09:26

Sandy wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 12:48
When assigned to a group with more female peers, women tend to shy away from STEM fields and end up in lower-paying, fewer-hour jobs. Men in a group with more women tend to go to more men-dominated professions (i.e., STEM), but earnings are the same either way.

Our results suggest that the increasing female university enrollment over recent decades has paradoxically contributed to the occupational segregation among university graduates that persists in today’s labor market.
I feel a great disturbance in the Force.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Nov 2017, 11:02

A thoughtful take on the "It's Ok to be white" meme:

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-an ... o-be-white
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 28 Nov 2017, 12:21

Highway wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 13:29
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 12:50
Highway wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 11:36
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 11:01
Offices > full cubes > half cubes > open space > unassigned seating.
I actually prefer pods with tall walls to individual cubicles, at least for my line of work. Half-height walls aren't worth anything, imo.
Full cubes means walls you can't see over.
Can't see over when sitting down or when standing up? Can't see over when standing up is good. When sitting down, but someone walking through can see over all of them, is bad. And I would rather be in pods with 2 other people than individual boxes (maybe that's what you meant by half-cubes?).
Full cubes walls are 6' tall. At 6'5", I can see over them if I am close to one. Half cubes are ones that you can see over if standing.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Nov 2017, 12:46

Sandy wrote:

This feels like an overgeneralized finding I'm not sure would hold up in reproduction efforts. I don't feel like the mechanism could be all that general across populations. Not even sure I get what the mechanism is supposed to be really.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Nov 2017, 12:49

JasonL wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 12:46
Sandy wrote:

This feels like an overgeneralized finding I'm not sure would hold up in reproduction efforts. I don't feel like the mechanism could be all that general across populations. Not even sure I get what the mechanism is supposed to be really.
Isn't it just "women actively maintain traditional women's gender norms," or, put more nicole-ly, "women perpetuate maternity cult"?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Nov 2017, 15:14

JasonL wrote:
Sandy wrote:

IIRC, in one writeup there were others pointing to similar findings in other studies. I don't think this is yet at the level of consensus by any means, but it's an interesting finding.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Nov 2017, 18:53

JasonL wrote:
Sandy wrote:

This feels like an overgeneralized finding I'm not sure would hold up in reproduction efforts.
Yeah, you kinda need equal numbers of men and women to maximize that.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 30 Nov 2017, 13:49

The Economist does a pretty good piece on the costs of "buy local" regulations: https://www.economist.com/news/finance- ... ying-local
Between 2009 and 2011 the PIIE authors estimate that the Obama administration’s buy-local requirements for steel cost the government about $5.7bn. Canadian restrictions on wind turbines meant utilities in Ontario and Quebec spent $500m more than if they had bought American ones.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Dec 2017, 09:38

It's an awful idea and the religious appeal of it is frustratingly suggetive of the overall state of humanity in 2017 - we hate things that actually create value and prosperity because some stupid narrative or optics or waa shut it all down lets be poor.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2017, 10:27

JasonL wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 09:38
It's an awful idea and the religious appeal of it is frustratingly suggetive of the overall state of humanity in 2017 - we hate things that actually create value and prosperity because some stupid narrative or optics or waa shut it all down lets be poor.
What do you mean "in 2017"?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Dec 2017, 10:53

Feels to me like the shape of the rebellion against neoliberal consensus is primarily that kind of thing, which makes it feel more explicit in public discourse than previous times I can recall.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Dec 2017, 13:03

Trade war with China to bring back rust belt mfg jobs was a thing during the election.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2017, 14:14

I heard the exact same things said about Japan in the 80's.
Smoot–Hawley was 1930. Protectionism is as constant as the wind. It's fervor waxes and wanes. The current climate is by no means a high water mark.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Dec 2017, 20:05

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/kz3y ... in-to-mush

the infowars trumpian turn still confuses me a bit, but on the other hand alex jones is a piece of shit so...yeah.

eta: though in general the pretend bafflement over "triggering the libs" as a main focus seems to me to be misplaced in a world where we had the daily show, etc.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

JD

Post by JD » 05 Dec 2017, 11:13

The Economist again, exploring how and why Berlin is profoundly dysfunctional. For example, four years after a traffic light was destroyed in an accident, the city was still using a temporary replacement and refused to give any timetable for when a permanent replacement would be built; the new airport has missed seven announced opening dates and may not open until ten years after it was originally supposed to; Germany's GDP would actually be higher if it weren't for their capital.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Dec 2017, 11:22

JD wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 11:13
The Economist again, exploring how and why Berlin is profoundly dysfunctional. For example, four years after a traffic light was destroyed in an accident, the city was still using a temporary replacement and refused to give any timetable for when a permanent replacement would be built; the new airport has missed seven announced opening dates and may not open until ten years after it was originally supposed to; Germany's GDP would actually be higher if it weren't for their capital.
The last line of your quote and the sub-head
Unlike other capitals, Germany’s is a drain on the rest of the country
puzzled me a bit.

Washington and Ottawa are both parasitic on the US and Canada respectively, taking large amounts of tax money to subsidize bureaucrats while producing little in the way of products or services.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Dec 2017, 11:48

Greater DC has a number of real companies headquartered there, like Capital One and Marriott.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 07 Dec 2017, 08:42

An alternate juror explains the Steinle/Zarate trial and why the jury found Zarate not guilty:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... tch-216016

Perhaps the most significant part:
The involuntary manslaughter charge that the jury was read included two key requirements: 1) A crime was committed in the act that caused death; 2) The defendant acted with "criminal negligence"—he did something that an ordinary person would have known was likely to lead to someone's death.

The jury members were not free to select the crime for part (1)—they had to use the one chosen by the prosecution, and the prosecution chose that crime to be the "brandishing," or waving with menace, of a weapon. As a juror, I found this choice puzzling, because the prosecutor presented absolutely zero evidence of brandishing during the trial.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Dec 2017, 21:25

Is Boston still America's most racist city?

Bint: Betteridge's law may not apply
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Dec 2017, 11:35

This is horrifying. Let's take FICO scores and make them more invasive, less accountable and insane. Oh and it's coming here.
Zhima Credit’s algorithm considers not only whether you repay your bills but also what you buy, what degrees you hold, and the scores of your friends.
She explained how to boost my score. “They will check what kind of friends you have,” she said. “If your friends are all high-score people, it’s good for you. If you have some bad-credit people as friends, it’s not nice.”
As in China, you may even be penalized for who your friends are. In 2012, Facebook patented a method of credit assessment that could consider the credit scores of people in your network. The patent describes a tool that arrives at an average credit score for your friends and rejects a loan application if that average is below a certain minimum. ... “You could imagine a future where people are watching to see if their friends’ credit is dropping and then dropping their friends if that affects them,”

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Dec 2017, 12:33

Mo wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 11:35
This is horrifying. Let's take FICO scores and make them more invasive, less accountable and insane. Oh and it's coming here.
Zhima Credit’s algorithm considers not only whether you repay your bills but also what you buy, what degrees you hold, and the scores of your friends.
She explained how to boost my score. “They will check what kind of friends you have,” she said. “If your friends are all high-score people, it’s good for you. If you have some bad-credit people as friends, it’s not nice.”
As in China, you may even be penalized for who your friends are. In 2012, Facebook patented a method of credit assessment that could consider the credit scores of people in your network. The patent describes a tool that arrives at an average credit score for your friends and rejects a loan application if that average is below a certain minimum. ... “You could imagine a future where people are watching to see if their friends’ credit is dropping and then dropping their friends if that affects them,”
Wow that is truly horrible. This could just as easily go in the inequality thread, as it guarantees people who aspire to fly high the aspidistra are going to make sure they don't associate with *those* people.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."