Warren

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 07 Jan 2018, 03:18

Where's Stevo when we need him?
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Jan 2018, 11:10

Ignore the third comment, it's stupid as fuck. The middle one is the good stuff.

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jan 2018, 12:18

Ellie wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 11:10
Ignore the third comment, it's stupid as fuck.
Which is why I gave me the lulz.

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jan 2018, 12:45

I have to wonder about the original poster. I mean, there are very few crops that grow to fruition in less than 24 hours, so I'm not sure what good starting your Purge garden would do...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jan 2018, 12:46

Fascinating piece about how three different Mexican cities are dealing with crime, corruption, and drug gangs by basically saying "'Legitimate' Mexican federal government, get the fuck out of the way."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/07/worl ... ption.html
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jan 2018, 14:24

I'll take this opportunity to plug www.borderlandbeat.com

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jan 2018, 14:49

A look at a 1968 book written by experts in their fields that tried to predict the world of 2018: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... ld-of-2018

tl;dr: The usual howlers ("the suppression of lightning by the late 1980s"!) but also some prescient stuff about what you can and should do in a world where all information is online.

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jan 2018, 15:22

Avert your eyes dhex, it's xkcd.

Ok, everyone else, I think this is probably the best election style map that balances the map looking what it's supposed to look like and getting an understanding of proportionality. I would make one edit, add something so you could tell the difference in smaller states like MT or close medium states like NV.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Jan 2018, 22:31

It's an interesting map. A wrinkle is that it represents votes, not actual population, but that's reasonable, considering.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Jan 2018, 22:44

"Location within each state is approximate" my ass.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jan 2018, 22:09

A DA, judge and police chief claim that garbage is public property, so a paper decides to go through it. It's an old story, but good.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-1 ... ish.html-2
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Jan 2018, 23:19

Ok, it makes a lot more sense now that I know its an old story. I saw on twitter the blurb about the finding the credit card statements and was wondering how someone who should know better could be that careless.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jan 2018, 23:45

People who should know better are still careless.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jan 2018, 00:07

Mo wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 23:45
I think it is fair to say that, if we had all done what we knew to be better (or should have known to be better), a fair share of disasters, major and minor, would have been prevented. [Also known as the Captain Edward John Smith Theorem.]
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Jan 2018, 09:06

Mo wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 23:45
True, but even as late as 2002, the only people with shredders were secret squirrels and white collar criminals.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jan 2018, 20:24

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jan 2018, 20:55

Pick one or more of the following:
  • Trump
    The Democrats
    George Soros
    The Koch Brothers
    Bilderbergers
    SJWs
    The Alt Right
    Sargon of Akkad
    PewDiePie
    Elon Musk
    Other
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 21:00

I think it's because we're spoiled. Maybe it's not kids today, maybe it's just I'm a geezer, but I don't think so. Never has there been such a whiny, petulant, and useless society as the one we have today. I know, I know. They said the same thing about the "me" generation, then about gen X and gen Y and the millennials. But I think it's actually true for all of them. Each generation has been more spoiled than the one before leading up to now. People think it's getting worse because their expectation is that it should get better than it is no matter how good it gets. Because it does. It keeps getting better and better and at an ever increasing rate and so they're spoiled like that.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Jan 2018, 13:03

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/opin ... cline.html
For well-off urbanites, the decline of crime is most visible in sanitized, closely guarded city spaces where tourists and others can now comfortably wander about. But far more consequential have been the changes in low-income, highly segregated urban communities. Indeed, my research has shown that the most disadvantaged people have gained the most from the reduction in violent crime.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2018, 08:37

I for one look forward to a new blue state dominated by Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Jan 2018, 13:11

How Google Maps is way ahead of everybody else.

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jan 2018, 14:37

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 13:11
How Google Maps is way ahead of everybody else.

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat
Just checked my neighbourhood & saw the same thing.

It's not complete: I checked where my horse is boarded. One side of the street shows buildings, the other does not.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Jan 2018, 10:55

In 2016, after the then-14-year-old [Jade Hameister] become the youngest person to ski to the North Pole from outside the last degree of latitude (a distance of about 60 miles), she gave a TEDx talk in Melbourne in which she encouraged young women to embrace an adventurous mindset, and to resist societal pressures that discourage them from their ambitions. Male YouTube commenters took offense to Hameister’s message, as users flooded the page with the phrase, 'Make me a sandwich' ....

After Hameister’s recent record-setting descent to the South Pole, the teenager offered a biting response to her critics with a Facebook post in which she posed alongside the Ceremonial South Pole flags while carrying a sandwich on a plate. 'I skied back to the Pole again … to take this photo for all those men who commented ‘Make me a sandwich’ on my TEDX Talk,' she wrote. 'I made you a sandwich (ham & cheese), now ski 37 days and 600km to the South Pole and you can eat it.'"
That's pretty awesome.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 26 Jan 2018, 11:33

Too bad she loses all her awesome points for doing a TED talk.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jan 2018, 12:19

Andrew wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 11:33
Too bad she loses all her awesome points for doing a TED talk.
To be fair, she's young, so thinking TED Talks are impressive is par for the course, alongside liking dumb auto-tuned pop music.

If she were older I'd say that doing a TED talk is diagnostic of brain death.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem