Worthwhile intertubez finds

Ellie

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Ellie »

Well, the policeman should be more sympathetic. The crook has probably fallen on hard times since his husband passed away, as evidenced by that black half-veil he's wearing.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I thought the unfairness of the match was that the cop brought a club to a gunfight.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Highway

Post by Highway »

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:36
Maybe he's using the prybar to break into the window behind them, and he took off his shoes because he doesn't want his metal heels to make noise.
This is what I figured as well. Shows intent to enter the building he just broke into. If he was just walking by, he would be wearing his shoes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Maybe he's breaking into a mosque or some Japanese's house.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Spreading his colonialism, no doubt.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

An article by a former NYC restaurateur on how the letter grading system for restaurants is an arbitrary, meaningless process that exists mostly to extract fines from restaurants and keep them compliant: https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/03/why- ... tment.html
It’s been ten years since New York City’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene began assigning letter grades to restaurants. Today, diners focus on the grades posted in each restaurant’s window, assuming they’re objective assessments of establishments’ cleanliness. Cooks are obsessed with the points system that the Health Department used to determine violations. And restaurant owners loathe the system because the whole thing feels like a slow-motion bureaucratic shakedown whose real purpose is to be a steady, easily manipulated revenue stream for the city.
Often, other violations made no sense at all, or the inspectors didn’t listen if you told them they were wrong. There was the time an inspector walked into our wood-storage room, looked at the row of wood we stacked for our pizza oven, and told me I was only allowed to store one day’s worth of wood, and that we had more than that.

“The building code says that you can store one day’s worth of wood within six indirect feet of the wood oven,” I explained, “and one week’s worth of wood in a one hour fire-rated, sprinklered room, which this is. I read the building code myself and the permit drawings were approved by the Department of Buildings.”

She didn’t want to hear it. Another fine. Another court date.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Holy shit! You can do entire virtual surgical procedures with this STEM site thingie. https://edheads.org/

It's got some for free as well that don't require a membership if you don't want to do a total knee or aortic anyeurism .... you pussy ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I've dreamed all my life of resurfacing a hip. I've also dreamed all my life of never again having flash installed.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 12:04
I've dreamed all my life of resurfacing a hip. I've also dreamed all my life of never again having flash installed.
Suck it up d_e, don't you know there's a plague going on?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

An online test for how good your relative pitch is: https://www.themusiclab.org/quizzes/td

I scored 29 out of 32 correct, with an average response time of 0.7 seconds ("better than 85% of people"). I feel like it's definitely something you could improve at with practice, though.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:12
An online test for how good your relative pitch is: https://www.themusiclab.org/quizzes/td

I scored 29 out of 32 correct, with an average response time of 0.7 seconds ("better than 85% of people"). I feel like it's definitely something you could improve at with practice, though.
Interesting. I got 30 out of 32 correct with an average time of 0.6 seconds, which apparently pushes it up to 94%. I was surprised by the 1/64th intervals being in there, so those were what I missed at first. And even though they felt like half-guesses later, I didn't miss any others.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

A list of when a science fiction idea or concept first appeared and in what story.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/ctnlistPu ... ate2=1899

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Painboy wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:21
A list of when a science fiction idea or concept first appeared and in what story.

I used their link and the bigger internet, and I still can’t figure out what a ‘Gansas’ is vis a vis a scientific fi trope.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote:
25 May 2020, 13:43
Painboy wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:21

I used their link and the bigger internet, and I still can’t figure out what a ‘Gansas’ is vis a vis a scientific fi trope.
Nor I. In the book, gansas are wild swans the protagonist harnesses to fly him about. I'd put that more in the category of fantasy than sci-fi.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I wonder if that’s what the birds in that video game Joust were supposed to be called?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex