Worthwhile intertubez finds

Warren

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 12 Aug 2019, 11:02

lunchstealer wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 02:25
Still it's shit like this why I got to Village Inn.
NOPE
At least iguana guy is like a floor show with no cover charge.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Aug 2019, 11:22

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 02:25
Still it's shit like this why I got to Village Inn.
NOPE
At least iguana guy is like a floor show with no cover charge.
Is the hotel related to the restaurant chain? Around here they fill the same niche as Perkins.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Aug 2019, 11:25

Why is everyone taking my jokes way too seriously?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Pham Nuwen » 12 Aug 2019, 18:45

Warren wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 11:25
Why is everyone taking my jokes way too seriously?
Because you are only slightly more funny than me. And I'm not funny. Only my life is. *sigh*
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Aug 2019, 20:27

Stumbled upon this earlier this year, but I was reminded of it again, today:
When I recall that night so many years ago, among the foul mists and brackish fens of the Great Southern Swamp, a great wave of shame and guilt rises within me, beneath which lies a vaster and darker force: madness, pure and unending, threatening to swallow me whole.

That morning, I had set out with Cedric (a fellow medical student at Miskatonka State) with the intention of putting to rest a ludicrously backwoods Southern legend. We had set off in a massive horse-carriage, a true leviathan capable of holding twenty souls, which bore the chrome mark of its maker: Chrysler Manufactory, Detroit.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Aug 2019, 20:47

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 20:27
Stumbled upon this earlier this year, but I was reminded of it again, today:
When I recall that night so many years ago, among the foul mists and brackish fens of the Great Southern Swamp, a great wave of shame and guilt rises within me, beneath which lies a vaster and darker force: madness, pure and unending, threatening to swallow me whole.

That morning, I had set out with Cedric (a fellow medical student at Miskatonka State) with the intention of putting to rest a ludicrously backwoods Southern legend. We had set off in a massive horse-carriage, a true leviathan capable of holding twenty souls, which bore the chrome mark of its maker: Chrysler Manufactory, Detroit.
Link down! Link down!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Aug 2019, 00:28

Weird, works for me.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Aug 2019, 10:42

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Aug 2019, 10:55

dbcooper wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 10:42
https://www.notjordanpeterson.com/

Have fun.
Nifty algorithm. I just can't think of anything I want to hear Jordan Peterson say.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Aug 2019, 13:43

Whoa
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Aug 2019, 12:15

dbcooper wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 10:42
https://www.notjordanpeterson.com/

Have fun.
I'm encouraged by the many accounts I received from people who were interested in using this technology in positive ways, and I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be able to use technologies like this for the better, while minimizing their potential harm.
Yeah, probably not though.

JD

Post by JD » 23 Aug 2019, 12:50

Interesting discussion at https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/blog-po ... -say-that/

I do think, though, that
a) you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, so a knee-jerk OMIGOD WE CAN'T TRUST AUDIO OR VIDEO BAN IT RIGHT NOW reaction is unhelpful at best
b) I can think of completely legitimate uses for "deepfake" audio and video (for example, an actor is making a movie and dies before filming is complete, but has signed a contract allowing his likeness to be used to complete the movie so they don't have to go all Plan 9 on it)
c) people have been able to forge almost every single kind of verification ever invented - signatures, seals, holograms - and it doesn't mean that they were suddenly completely worthless, it just means we have to take them as part of the totality of evidence.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Aug 2019, 13:39

I kind think we are heading toward digital signatures with floating privacy features - basically a way to replicate the logic of multi factor authentication based on time, place, device, maybe other biometric features. So standards get adopted for posted content to have some kind of time date and the party in question can be like nope wasn't there - maybe some kind of encryption scheme in real time of posting? Dunno.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Aug 2019, 17:01

This Amy Wax interview is something else. I’m glad those kids shelling out big bucks to go to Penn Law get the academic rigor if someone who wonders, “Why are Jews so Jewy?” I mean why get it for free at VDare, when you can pay $50k a year for those insights.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/ ... hite-again
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Aug 2019, 18:44

Yes that was something else.

Man what kind of Europeans do these yutzes think we were getting from 1860-1920? (this is also a fun time to bring up the mainstream appeal of catholic conspiracy theories during that period.)
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Aug 2019, 02:57

Also, there are a bunch of “shithole” countries in Latin America and Southeast Asia, including Malaysia, that are wealthier than European countries like Greece or Portugal.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JD

Post by JD » 28 Aug 2019, 10:24

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 Aug 2019, 19:40

Interesting article on the history of MI5 failure:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/ ... bea720b460
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 29 Aug 2019, 10:50

dbcooper wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 19:40

Good stuff. I've long felt that most of the world is kind of amateurish and just muddles along, held together with chewing gum and bits of string, and I've never seen much reason to doubt that intelligence services were much the same.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Aug 2019, 12:47

JD wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 10:50
dbcooper wrote:

Good stuff. I've long felt that most of the world is kind of amateurish and just muddles along, held together with chewing gum and bits of string, and I've never seen much reason to doubt that intelligence services were much the same.

Smart, Qualified People Behind The Scenes Keeping America Safe: 'We Don't Exist'
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Aug 2019, 14:54

JD wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 10:50
dbcooper wrote:

In almost every respect intelligence organizations that are perceived as highly effective are almost always an illusion they create. The Gestapo was actually pretty awful at its job but because they had this feared reputation anyone who got picked up by them often confessed everything because they thought the Gestapo already knew everything, even when they usually didn't.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Sep 2019, 15:28

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Sep 2019, 18:33

I’m not sure what’s worse, Hitler’s last living relative is a paedophile or that he has an awful head tattoo. Also, clearly bringing disrepute to the family name.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/h ... d-19441891

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Sep 2019, 19:21

Mo wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 18:33
I’m not sure what’s worse, Hitler’s last living relative is a paedophile or that he has an awful head tattoo. Also, clearly bringing disrepute to the family name.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/h ... d-19441891
That first photo caption is money though
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Sep 2019, 19:32

I just appreciate the part where his adoptive family didn't change his last name. I guess they had the foresight to realize that a member of the Hitler family could easily grow up to be a pedophile with a head tattoo, and there's no need to tarnish the adoptive family's good name by association.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo