Worthwhile intertubez finds

thoreau

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by thoreau » 10 Jan 2019, 13:45

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

JD

Post by JD » 05 Feb 2019, 09:48

This is a very interesting article on the spread of Amanita phalloides, the death cap mushroom: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... da/581602/
It seems that humans have unwittingly helped them spread across the world, as with so many other species. Apparently they actually taste quite good too.
Beep boop, you silly humans.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Feb 2019, 15:55

Nice take on how public health crusaders have expanded their remit beyond reasonable limits.

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2 ... -advocacy/
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Mar 2019, 11:16

A video by Coleman Hughes, discussing Bayard Rustin, one of the less remembered Civil Rights activists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/opin ... ntity.html
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Mar 2019, 12:14

thoreau wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 15:55
Nice take on how public health crusaders have expanded their remit beyond reasonable limits.

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2 ... -advocacy/
I make arguments that go very much like this when people do the "the CDC has a mandate to study and prevent gun deaths" thing. Ugh. Public health is a scary set of views in this age. They just hand-wave away all risk taking as irrational and ergo subject to proper correction.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Mar 2019, 09:46

An interesting piece on exactly why and how Amazon pays zero in federal taxes: https://www.vox.com/2019/2/20/18231742/ ... ate-income

tl;dr version: they take advantage of tax credits and incentives, and "a policy initiative from the early 1990s that was meant to constrain CEO pay has totally backfired" - WHUT? THINGS ACTUALLY HAVE SIDE EFFECTS? SENATOR CANUTE CAN'T JUST ORDER THE ECONOMY TO BE THE WAY HE WOULD LIKE?

JD

Post by JD » 19 Mar 2019, 10:18

Here's a piece on NYC basement apartments, which are largely illegal, and a city initiative to legalize them and bring them up to code, which actually sounds like a rare good thing from the city government: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

However, some of the residents of the apartments are actually not fans of the plan, because being illegal is part of what keeps these apartments cheap; if they're up to code and on the open market, the price will go up.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Mar 2019, 22:22

JD wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 10:18
Here's a piece on NYC basement apartments, which are largely illegal, and a city initiative to legalize them and bring them up to code, which actually sounds like a rare good thing from the city government: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

However, some of the residents of the apartments are actually not fans of the plan, because being illegal is part of what keeps these apartments cheap; if they're up to code and on the open market, the price will go up.
There is no law on the books making basement apartments illegal, the fact that they are not code compliant makes them so, yes? The bill is for grant/loan money to help people convert unused/illegal apartments into code compliant ones. I'm not sure how this is different than a "neighborhood beautification" program.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

JD

Post by JD » 26 Mar 2019, 17:22

It's not just the Roman Catholic Church; the Jehovah's Witnesses have been protecting child molesters for years.
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... rs/584311/
It's pretty strong stuff - physical, mental, and sexual abuse, animal cruelty, etc., but maybe the most shocking part is the way that absolutely everything else is considered secondary to "protecting the good name of the organization", and the principle that no one can be convicted unless there are two witnesses to an act is used to brush away virtually every accusation.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Apr 2019, 12:04

This is an excellent troll of the NYTimes.

https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-nyc- ... story.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Apr 2019, 13:49

The name "Smith" in different languages.
yfe9tidxooj21.jpg
yfe9tidxooj21.jpg (80.33 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

--Mo

JD

Post by JD » 09 Apr 2019, 11:24

Studies show that plastic bag bans have a ton of unintended consequences. Yes, people use fewer plastic shopping bags, which resulted in tens of millions of pounds of trash saved. But people also bought more plastic garbage bags, and those take substantially more material and energy to make, and they used more paper bags, which are arguably worse for the environment. As for reusable shopping bags:
A 2011 study by the U.K. government found a person would have to reuse their cotton tote bag 131 times before it was better for climate change than using a plastic grocery bag once. The Danish government recently did a study that took into account environmental impacts beyond simply greenhouse gas emissions, including water use, damage to ecosystems and air pollution. These factors make cloth bags even worse. They estimate you would have to use an organic cotton bag 20,000 times more than a plastic grocery bag to make using it better for the environment.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Apr 2019, 18:12

I believe the unintended consequences to bag bans, but I still throw away a lot of plastic bags, because I don't throw away enough small amounts of garbage to get that one extra re-use out of more than one or two of them a week. ETA: At one point, I had to clear out a cabinet I'd filled with plastic bags with the intention of re-using them because I could never keep up with supply.

However, the government studies focusing on cotton/canvas bags strike me as dubious. I'm not even sure most reusable bags are cotton—many, like the one I've been trying out (and will probably buy several more of) are nylon and other polymers. The NPR story calls those out as more efficient than disposables if you use them a mind boggling "dozens" of times. (Meanwhile, of course, you don't use one set of disposable bags a year, you get a new set every time you go shopping. I don't doubt people conscientiously using even cotton bags manage to do better within a year or two, much less re-usable polymer bags.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Apr 2019, 18:33

Also, I've found that a reusable shopping bag is just handy and tidy for lugging stuff around outside of shopping trips. Taking a few drinks and whatnot into the office? Throw it in the bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Apr 2019, 19:33

We use collapsible shopping boxes, and they're great. And using it 100 times a year? Probably not difficult. We do disinfect them (found a disinfectant that doesn't need rinsing, just air drying) a couple times a year, and just keep on going.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Apr 2019, 21:11

I get new plastic bags every shopping trip. I've got a sock that holds old bags and I pull one out whenever I need a bag, but if the sock is full they go right in the trash. I remain unconvinced that anything bad comes of throwing old grocery bags in the trash.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Apr 2019, 03:21

This is the best marketing thing I've randomly watched in ages:

Just a guy and his dog in the woods, hiking and fishing and camping and cooking.

(Whether that's really "ultralight" camping, I dunno, because I see people saying just 30 pounds of gear is too much for ultralight, much less that big pack—but it sure looked pleasant.)

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Apr 2019, 05:44

Highway wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 19:33
We use collapsible shopping boxes, and they're great. And using it 100 times a year? Probably not difficult. We do disinfect them (found a disinfectant that doesn't need rinsing, just air drying) a couple times a year, and just keep on going.
Most people I know use collapsible plastic as replacements for plastic shopping bags. I rarely see cotton bags. You've got to be a real NPR/PBS junkie to use a cotton tote. Here in the UK most people use reusables because they charge 5-10 pence for plastic bags.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Apr 2019, 05:55

I use cotton bags for meat because I can wash them.

I use leftover bags used to hold Mardi Gras parade throws for everything else. We collect them every March so I might as well use them.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 10 Apr 2019, 09:50

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 03:21

Just a guy and his dog in the woods, hiking and fishing and camping and cooking.

(Whether that's really "ultralight" camping, I dunno, because I see people saying just 30 pounds of gear is too much for ultralight, much less that big pack—but it sure looked pleasant.)
I'll watch later, but 30 pounds of gear isn't ultralight. The usual goal is 15 pounds or less of gear, which excludes fuel, water, and food.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 Apr 2019, 10:54

Warren wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 21:11
I get new plastic bags every shopping trip. I've got a sock that holds old bags and I pull one out whenever I need a bag, but if the sock is full they go right in the trash. I remain unconvinced that anything bad comes of throwing old grocery bags in the trash.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/18/asia/dea ... index.html
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Apr 2019, 11:17

Jasper wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 10:54
Warren wrote:
Yeah, if I lived in a coastal area, I'd be more concerned. But my trash goes into landfills where my plastic film bags just sit doing nothing.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Apr 2019, 11:18

Jasper wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 10:54
Warren wrote:
Unless Warren is leaving North America to trash his bags that’s probably not happening
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2019, 12:40

I use cloth bags, mainly because plastic bags have been banned here.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Apr 2019, 16:35

Andrew wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 09:50
Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 03:21

I'll watch later, but 30 pounds of gear isn't ultralight. The usual goal is 15 pounds or less of gear, which excludes fuel, water, and food.
Every time I look it up, I see people trying to one-up each other. "30 pounds!" "10 pounds!". "What fits in a small backpack!" "Why do you need that much space?" etc.

I'm pretty sure this guy's backpack, when he shows it, doesn't count.

The dog in his jacket is a great moment, though.