Worthwhile intertubez finds

Kolohe

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Kolohe » 12 Sep 2018, 08:12

There's a few cases where Crawford is looking at things that, to me, is at an odd angle, and I don't think some of his premises are right.
The role that the upper-tier university soon discovered for itself, upon the collapse of ideals of liberal learning, was no longer that of training citizens for humane self-government, but rather that of supplying a cadre to staff the corporations, the NGOs, and the foundations. That is, the main function of elite schools is to supply the personnel required to run things in an economy that has become more managerial than entrepreneurial.
Staffing the managerial ranks of the neoliberal order is not done by Ivy grads, it's done by flagship state university grads. There are, for one, too few 'elite' college grads to do all the work, and two, if anyone in academia still does 'learning for self actualization' it's the super elite schools, which are far less 'training for a specific job' focus (at the undergrad level).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Sep 2018, 14:49

I thinks you're supposed to read "managerial" ranks there as including, like, CFOs and Undersecretaries for Defense and foundation Vice Presidents.

And state flagships are probably included in "upper tier universities" here, if not exclusively composing the category. "Upper-tier" here is distinguishing from, like, the community college with majors in "radiation tech" and "security contractor."

But yes, the claim is basically that the upper tier schools may not be training for a _specific_ job, but they are training for a specific type of job role.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2018, 14:57

I never thought I would type this, but....

What Jadagul said.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Sep 2018, 23:44

Opinion: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside Morrissey’s Touring Band

https://thehardtimes.net/hardstyle/opin ... ring-band/
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Sep 2018, 06:57

Awesome

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Sep 2018, 08:09

Is it funnier if you know who Morrissey is/was?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Sep 2018, 10:30

Yes obvs

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Sep 2018, 11:55

Smdh
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Sep 2018, 12:05

Confession: everything I know about Morrissey I learned from MST3K

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR78U6zvGI
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JD

Post by JD » Yesterday, 12:24

This is a kind-of-interesting piece about refusing to debate far-right figures: https://longreads.com/2018/09/18/no-i-w ... ebate-you/

It makes some decent arguments about what should be done about people who are acting in bad faith in a liberal society; it also could have been boiled down into about one paragraph without losing too much. To me one of the most interesting parts was this:
Curation is a political choice, and so is the choice of who we allow to take lead roles in the theatre of public discourse. I say: If Bannon has to have a public platform, make him work for it. Have him stand on a stage and play the audio footage of the toddlers at the Mexican border screaming for their parents as they’re dragged away to detention. Have him answer to the mothers of children who were gunned down by police because of the color of their skin, or to the friends and family of migrants who drowned in the Mediterranean. That’s not a polite thing to say. It wouldn’t be a polite thing to do. But the idea that politeness and civility is owed to anyone in a position of power is one of the great gotchas of liberal thought.
But the author seems to skim by, without noticing at all, that the curator is someone in a position of power, and "the choice of who we allow to take lead roles in the theater of public discourse" seems to suggest that society in some ways boils down to who holds the whip hand, which I am not sure is something the author would explicitly agree with but which is a theme that runs throughout her piece.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Yesterday, 12:36

But the idea that politeness and civility is owed to anyone in a position of power is one of the great gotchas of liberal thought.
I'll read the piece later, but I wonder what the author's opinion was of the people who didn't show politeness and civility to Obama when he was president.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JD

Post by JD » Yesterday, 12:40

Andrew wrote:
Yesterday, 12:36
But the idea that politeness and civility is owed to anyone in a position of power is one of the great gotchas of liberal thought.
I'll read the piece later, but I wonder what the author's opinion was of the people who didn't show politeness and civility to Obama when he was president.
Yeah, I had kind of the same thought.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » Yesterday, 14:02

The science journal Nature publishes one sci-fi story a week. A lot of them are boring, notable only for their high-art pretensions. But this one is good:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06698-2

OK, maybe I only like it because it appeals to my libertarian sympathies via a scenario of "In the future, sugary and fatty food will be illegal." But still, I liked it.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Yesterday, 16:03

thoreau wrote:
Yesterday, 14:02
The science journal Nature publishes one sci-fi story a week. A lot of them are boring, notable only for their high-art pretensions. But this one is good:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06698-2

OK, maybe I only like it because it appeals to my libertarian sympathies via a scenario of "In the future, sugary and fatty food will be illegal." But still, I liked it.
If you like that, check out "Lipidleggers" by F. Paul Wilson.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch