Worthwhile intertubez finds

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5975
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Andrew » 17 May 2018, 09:09

Pham Nuwen wrote:
17 May 2018, 07:35
So the two spaces after a period has reached open war? I think the world is running out of things to argue about these days. What is this timeline we inhabit?
The best of all possible timelines.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8624
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by nicole » 17 May 2018, 09:40

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 May 2018, 18:46
Jadagul wrote:
15 May 2018, 18:07
The actual answer is that WYSIWYG word processing is terrible.

I type two spaces after a period, to signal that I'm ending a sentence. Then my document compiler takes that information into account when it decides the correct amount of spacing to put there.

Hell, that's happening right now. There were five spaces before this sentence. But you can't see them, because HTML is not WYSIWYG and render spaces intelligently.
This is the correct answer. I'm not kerning or handling the line-endings for the text in these sentences, either!

I write technical documents in org-mode. If someone wants MS Word, I export to it and tidy it up. (In my experience, a PDF goes over just fine, though. 99% of a time someone sends an Excel or MS Word file, it's better as a PDF anyway...) But then, I've never actually had anyone in an academic or professional context actually complain about two spaces after a sentence, even when they could see it. It's always been randos on the internet who cared.
I mean, why complain about it when "replace all" is so easy?

I've spent years changing two spaces to one but have never given any fucks about which people actually used when they composed.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11853
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 May 2018, 16:13

nicole wrote:
17 May 2018, 09:40
Eric the .5b wrote:
16 May 2018, 18:46
Jadagul wrote:
15 May 2018, 18:07
The actual answer is that WYSIWYG word processing is terrible.

I type two spaces after a period, to signal that I'm ending a sentence. Then my document compiler takes that information into account when it decides the correct amount of spacing to put there.

Hell, that's happening right now. There were five spaces before this sentence. But you can't see them, because HTML is not WYSIWYG and render spaces intelligently.
This is the correct answer. I'm not kerning or handling the line-endings for the text in these sentences, either!

I write technical documents in org-mode. If someone wants MS Word, I export to it and tidy it up. (In my experience, a PDF goes over just fine, though. 99% of a time someone sends an Excel or MS Word file, it's better as a PDF anyway...) But then, I've never actually had anyone in an academic or professional context actually complain about two spaces after a sentence, even when they could see it. It's always been randos on the internet who cared.
I mean, why complain about it when "replace all" is so easy?

I've spent years changing two spaces to one but have never given any fucks about which people actually used when they composed.
The funny thing is, wars over style guide details like this have been a thing in programming for decades. Piddly things like this:

Code: Select all

if (some_condition) {
	 do_something();
}
vs.

Code: Select all

if (some_condition)
{
	do_something();
}
It's actually becoming a solved problem, though, because people have simply written programs like Prettier that take code and reformat it to meet a set of style rules. If code gets added to a project, you run the program on it and know it meets the style guide. Boom.

I'm a little surprised that nobody's written an app to do that for easy formatting details like "spaces after a sentence" in Word documents.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15186
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dhex » 17 May 2018, 16:53

Doesn't Word have that option in autocorrect?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13900
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Aresen » 17 May 2018, 16:54

dhex wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:53
Doesn't Word have that option in autocorrect?
It does. I looked it up after this conversation started.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11853
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 May 2018, 16:56

dhex wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:53
Doesn't Word have that option in autocorrect?
I don't see it in mine, but you could add three custom auto-replace entries to accomplish it.

I suspect that'd irritate the shit out of me, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem


User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22004
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 18 May 2018, 12:00

Argh I hate the government.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13900
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Aresen » 18 May 2018, 13:28

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10018
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 18 May 2018, 13:55

Some pretty cool maps of what languages are most commonly spoken in New York City neighborhoods.

Not surprisingly, the most common language is English, or sometimes Spanish (with the exception of one neighborhood where it's Russian!)

Also not surprisingly, the second language is usually Spanish, or English if English wasn't the first one, but there are exceptions - in some, the second language is Yiddish, Russian, Chinese, or Creole.

Maybe the most interesting part is the 3rd-most-common language, because that's where it gets really diverse. There are neighborhoods where the 3rd-most-common language is Greek, Bengali, Punjabi, Polish, French, or Korean!

Italian, BTW, doesn't show up anywhere except the southern half of Staten Island.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5975
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Andrew » 20 May 2018, 10:39

The Gig Economy

Warning: pretty damn long, and if you only read the first 20% or so (especially the twitter screenshots), you'll have the very wrong idea about it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22476
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 20 May 2018, 21:47

JD wrote:
18 May 2018, 13:55
Some pretty cool maps of what languages are most commonly spoken in New York City neighborhoods.

Not surprisingly, the most common language is English, or sometimes Spanish (with the exception of one neighborhood where it's Russian!)

Also not surprisingly, the second language is usually Spanish, or English if English wasn't the first one, but there are exceptions - in some, the second language is Yiddish, Russian, Chinese, or Creole.

Maybe the most interesting part is the 3rd-most-common language, because that's where it gets really diverse. There are neighborhoods where the 3rd-most-common language is Greek, Bengali, Punjabi, Polish, French, or Korean!

Italian, BTW, doesn't show up anywhere except the southern half of Staten Island.
I'm surprised that Arabic doesn't appear anywhere except Staten Island.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15186
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dhex » 20 May 2018, 21:52

Not even Astoria.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22476
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 20 May 2018, 21:55

dhex wrote:
20 May 2018, 21:52
Not even Astoria.
Greek was ahead of Arabic there, which makes sense. I figured Steinway would be it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13203
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Kolohe » 20 May 2018, 22:03

according to Wiki, there's only 70k Arab Americans in NYC, which is on the low side for an individual ethnicity. (And every ethnicity in NYC seems to be 'largest number of ethnicity X outside traditional home nation(s))
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10018
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 21 May 2018, 11:18

Mo wrote:
20 May 2018, 21:47
I'm surprised that Arabic doesn't appear anywhere except Staten Island.
I was surprised it didn't show up in Sunset Park - in parts of Sunset Park, it seems like every other business is the "Al Noor" something-or-other. I guess all the Chinese and Spanish speakers swamp the Arabic speakers, though.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10018
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 08 Jun 2018, 11:31

This is a long but fascinating article: The Trials of White Boy Rick

"White Boy Rick" was one of the very few White major players in Detroit's drug scene in the 1980s. He reportedly moved hundreds of kilos of cocaine into the city and associated with the city's biggest and richest gangs, all before he was 18 years old, and then he was arrested, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison, repeatedly denied parole even while other big players served much shorter sentences. And there is credible evidence that he was an FBI informant from the age of 14 and he was denied parole partly as revenge for having informed on high-ranking figures in the Detroit city government and police department.

(BTW, there is one important update missing from the Atavist article: he was finally paroled in the summer of 2017.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15488
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Jun 2018, 22:16

Fracking Linked to Increased Rates of Sexually Transmitted Infections

https://journalistsresource.org/studies ... infections

I'm sure it is. You've got to make sure your well casings are in place before you engage in fracking operations, no matter how well you know the ground you're drilling. Always engage in safe wastewater injection practices...
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22476
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 12 Jun 2018, 09:53

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 22:16
Fracking Linked to Increased Rates of Sexually Transmitted Infections

https://journalistsresource.org/studies ... infections

I'm sure it is. You've got to make sure your well casings are in place before you engage in fracking operations, no matter how well you know the ground you're drilling. Always engage in safe wastewater injection practices...
I'm sure some of it is linked to a transitory male population and possibly with some associated oldest profession increases in the area.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15488
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Jun 2018, 11:49

Mo wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 09:53
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 22:16
Fracking Linked to Increased Rates of Sexually Transmitted Infections

https://journalistsresource.org/studies ... infections

I'm sure it is. You've got to make sure your well casings are in place before you engage in fracking operations, no matter how well you know the ground you're drilling. Always engage in safe wastewater injection practices...
I'm sure some of it is linked to a transitory male population and possibly with some associated oldest profession increases in the area.
How are you engaging in sober analysis of this when there are so many double entendres left untendred?

Also I believe that is the main... uh... thrust of the paper.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23617
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2018, 12:44

lunchstealer wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:49
so many double entendres left untendred
That's good. I'll take it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22476
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 13 Jun 2018, 09:20

In districts where men outearn women*, boys do better in math than girls. In districts where there are more opportunities for women relative to men, girls outperform boys.

* Read: wealthy
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22004
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 09:37

I would be very surprised if those effects were persistent across levels of math complexity. In general this sort of study pings my "too pat by half" warning system.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23617
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 12:23

Mo wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 09:20
In districts where men outearn women*, boys do better in math than girls. In districts where there are more opportunities for women relative to men, girls outperform boys.

* Read: wealthy
RTFA
Yeesh. There's a lot of assumptions and ignored variables there. The one that jumps out at me is this: As long as they've been comparing boys and girls, girls have edged out boys in K-6 grades. Puberty is the turning point, once the hormones kick in, girls (in the aggregate) lose interest in math.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6342
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Jun 2018, 01:35

"I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.

Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him."
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tr0g and 3 guests