Worthwhile intertubez finds

JD

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 07 Nov 2017, 07:28

An interesting piece about an ethic group I never knew about: Afro-Turks, Turks of African origin whose families were presumably brought to Turkey as slaves.
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016082 ... n-africans

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Nov 2017, 09:46

Not this kind of Afro-Turk?

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Nov 2017, 19:56

Huh. Google is celebrating Pad Thai today.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Nov 2017, 19:25

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Nov 2017, 11:09

"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Nov 2017, 16:13

The thesis that notoriety and belonging motivate this kind of extremism would explain why the ur-SJW, Shanely, hooked up with weev, and he with her.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Nov 2017, 18:12

On the other end of the horror spectrum:

http://mymodernmet.com/kfc-funny-advertisement-images/
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Nov 2017, 21:43

Sandy wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 16:13
The thesis that notoriety and belonging motivate this kind of extremism would explain why the ur-SJW, Shanely, hooked up with weev, and he with her.
Pathetic knows no politics.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Nov 2017, 01:38

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Nov 2017, 02:03

BTW, are the neo-reactionary guys genuinely interested in German Romanticism, or is another ironic pose?

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Nov 2017, 06:13

dbcooper wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 02:03
BTW, are the neo-reactionary guys genuinely interested in German Romanticism, or is another ironic pose?
At a certain point the only good reaction is yelling "NERRRRRRRRDS!"

Maybe they look at the nazis and find a year zero refreshment to things but by white people. I could certainly see some guardian columnist jacking it over Pol pot and the romanticism of retribution. Since these fucknuts are generally one hand on forehead while pondering the slow doom of glorious civilization, it seems like it fits the rest of their aesthetic.

I tend to think it's more like a burzum, this makes a nice album cover, sort of thing. They write mostly like goth seventh day Adventists anyway.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Nov 2017, 10:53

Dhex needs to get back to a place where he can talk to actually people socially. At this rate, he will be speaking an entirely new language by age fifty, unable to communicate with anyone else. The phenomenon will be called "dhex's aphasia."
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Nov 2017, 13:26

dhex wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 06:13
dbcooper wrote:

Maybe they look at the nazis and find a year zero refreshment to things but by white people. I could certainly see some guardian columnist jacking it over Pol pot and the romanticism of retribution. Since these fucknuts are generally one hand on forehead while pondering the slow doom of glorious civilization, it seems like it fits the rest of their aesthetic.

I tend to think it's more like a burzum, this makes a nice album cover, sort of thing. They write mostly like goth seventh day Adventists anyway.
Yeah, this is the most likely case.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Nov 2017, 19:00

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 10:53
Dhex needs to get back to a place where he can talk to actually people socially. At this rate, he will be speaking an entirely new language by age fifty, unable to communicate with anyone else. The phenomenon will be called "dhex's aphasia."
Eh, he only dropped one obscure band name and it was a clear proper noun in context. That was perfectly cromulent dhexese.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Nov 2017, 19:05

dhex wrote:
dbcooper wrote:

Given guys like this running around, I think they get pretentious as Hell, but don't think they're nerdy enough to delve much. Less cafe dreams of Year Zero, more Che t-shirts.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Nov 2017, 14:38

Oh Jesus that's dumb

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » Yesterday, 20:27

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Yesterday, 23:20

It's the end of sitting except most of it is for sitting on.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » Today, 00:00

Ellie wrote:
Yesterday, 23:20
It's the end of sitting except most of it is for sitting on.
And somewhere, an outraged manager is looking at that massive waste of space and volume and dreaming of battery-farm-esque multi-layer cubical grids...

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » Today, 11:01

Offices > full cubes > half cubes > open space > unassigned seating.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » Today, 11:36

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Today, 11:01
I actually prefer pods with tall walls to individual cubicles, at least for my line of work. Half-height walls aren't worth anything, imo.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » Today, 11:48

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 19:05
dhex wrote:
dbcooper wrote:

Given guys like this running around, I think they get pretentious as Hell, but don't think they're nerdy enough to delve much. Less cafe dreams of Year Zero, more Che t-shirts.
Oh man I loved that thread.

Yeah, agree. Pretty sure they'd hate the stuff if they read it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 1 minute ago

Highway wrote:
Today, 11:36
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Today, 11:01
I actually prefer pods with tall walls to individual cubicles, at least for my line of work. Half-height walls aren't worth anything, imo.
Full cubes means walls you can't see over.