Worthwhile intertubez finds

Kolohe

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Kolohe » 12 Sep 2017, 15:27

Dangerman wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:36
Before too long, FB in the 1st world will have to confront a wave of people leaving because they can't risk social-media blowups. Several of my friends in tech now only have professional bullshytte pap pablum content on anything that's publicly facing at all, and use email and P2P for actually keeping in touch.

I imagine a time when Big Zuck is left with a network of left-behind, out-of-touch oldsters (NO OFFENSE! Some of my best Internet Friends are out-of-touch oldsters!), trashy people who don't care if their trashy life is public because you can't kill a career that never was, and profiles for prominent people/groups that aren't really giving FB that good juice because they are professionally maintained and manicured.
If Zuck merely has a cohort of aging not even late tech adopters, that will be fine for Zuck's lifetime, as Microsoft and talk radio demonstrate.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Sep 2017, 21:02

I just don't understand why anyone would post anything public-facing on Facebook. But clearly people do.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Sep 2017, 10:36

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Sep 2017, 11:58

Mo wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 10:36
Couscous-gate!
Ah so that's what the French version of the Trump Taco bowl looks like.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 19 Sep 2017, 12:17

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 Sep 2017, 21:36

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Sep 2017, 10:01

Near a breaking point. Competence anywhere in sight would be nice.

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Sep 2017, 10:07

It's a fucking insane amount of money that I would never, ever choose to spend myself.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Sep 2017, 19:39

I clicked on the Twitter link but still got blocked by the paywall.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Sep 2017, 00:32

I wonder how much of wage stagnancy can be explained by the growth in healthcare/insurance costs and thus non-wage compensation?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Sep 2017, 07:54

IIRC, total comp growth has been stagnant as well. I think because of the decline in pensions.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Sep 2017, 09:13

Mo wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 07:54
IIRC, total comp growth has been stagnant as well. I think because of the decline in pensions.
That's the most current version of the story I know as well, though you have to be careful how you choose to calculate the value of a pension vs defined contribution. The private employer benefits world is very much bimodal where medium to largish corporations spend considerably more on benefits including retirement and health than do small employers which may do very little or often nothing. When you get to 500 workers or more your retirement cost per head roughly triples.

http://www.epi.org/blog/professor-hubba ... -not-true/

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Sep 2017, 10:55

I like these observations on how the accuracy of sci-fi predictions seems to depend on the era in which they were made.

http://noahpinionblog.blogspot.com/2017 ... t-get.html
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

JD

Post by JD » 22 Sep 2017, 13:50

thoreau wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 10:55
I like these observations on how the accuracy of sci-fi predictions seems to depend on the era in which they were made.

http://noahpinionblog.blogspot.com/2017 ... t-get.html
I think there's a huge observation bias when it comes to SF predictions, though. I mean, you can't exactly take a completely representative sampling of all SF to see what came true and what didn't, so there's a strong tendency to remember the most noticeable things: really close projections, wildly wrong projections, things that were popular whether they were right or wrong, etc. Cyberpunk was right when it came to some things like the impact of pervasive information technology, but there was also plenty of SF from the same period that predicted all kinds of stuff that didn't happen.

And in fact, I wonder if cyberpunk seems more accurate because in part it was very short-term extrapolation, and a lot of the "predictions" weren't actually predictions. "Billionaires build spaceships and collaborate with the government to spy on the populace, while working-class people live out of shipping crates and drink poison water." That's not so much a prediction as it is "the last 1000 years of human history", roughly (s/spaceship/extremely expensive exploratory vessel/, but YKWIM).

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Sep 2017, 14:04

JD wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 13:50
I think there's a huge observation bias when it comes to SF predictions, though. I mean, you can't exactly take a completely representative sampling of all SF to see what came true and what didn't, so there's a strong tendency to remember the most noticeable things: really close projections, wildly wrong projections, things that were popular whether they were right or wrong, etc. Cyberpunk was right when it came to some things like the impact of pervasive information technology, but there was also plenty of SF from the same period that predicted all kinds of stuff that didn't happen.
Along those lines, the "SF didn't predict XYZ" arguments,, particularly when that's "the Internet" or "smart phones" or whatever, tend to ignore all the SF that did predict quite a bit of it. That's because another big bias is to repeat received wisdom as opposed to actually reading anything.

But then, predicting things isn't SF's job. It's just one of the tools.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Oct 2017, 11:56

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Oct 2017, 12:35

thoreau wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 11:56
Eminem Rips Donald Trump In BET Hip Hop Awards Freestyle Cypher is praising with faint damn.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 13 Oct 2017, 13:41

https://www.statnews.com/2017/10/12/mic ... ug-prices/

Anarchist who helped design the DIY EpiPencil wants to let you make your own drugs.

Sort of a Cody Wilson type (except left anarchist) actually doing anarchism.

I like it.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JD

Post by JD » 17 Oct 2017, 17:47

The Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/
Basically it summarizes incidents in aviation, which usually aren't big enough to make the mainstream news. But it gives you a pretty good idea of how common aviation incidents are. For example, here's everything listed yesterday:

Mount Cook AT72 near Dunedin on Oct 14th 2017, lightning strike
Zagros MD82 at Mashad on Oct 14th 2017, engine shut down in flight
THY A333 near Tehran on Oct 16th 2017, engine shut down in flight
Flybe E195 near Dublin on Oct 16th 2017, smell of smoke in cockpit due to atmospheric conditions, a number of flights affected
Thomas Cook A321 near Munich on Oct 15th 2017, fuel pump problem
Provincial DH8C at St. John's on Oct 6th 2017, rejected takeoff due to uncommanded propeller feather
Delta B738 at Salt Lake City on Oct 14th 2017, bird strike
Korean B744 at Jeju on Jan 25th 2016, dropped parts of engine cowl on touchdown
Indonesia AirAsia A320 near Perth on Oct 15th 2017, loss of cabin pressure

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Oct 2017, 18:59

JD wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 17:47
Basically it summarizes incidents in aviation, which usually aren't big enough to make the mainstream news. But it gives you a pretty good idea of how common aviation incidents are. For example, here's everything listed yesterday:

Flybe E195 near Dublin on Oct 16th 2017, smell of smoke in cockpit due to atmospheric conditions, a number of flights affected
Provincial DH8C at St. John's on Oct 6th 2017, rejected takeoff due to uncommanded propeller feather
All of the above: Plane out of service until fecal matter could be removed from passenger seats.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Oct 2017, 19:13

Aresen wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 18:59
JD wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 17:47

All of the above: Plane out of service until fecal matter could be removed from passenger seats.
Fecal matter too embedded in pilots' seats for removal.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Oct 2017, 19:27

The US Navy used to have enough things falling of aircraft that they had specific fill in the blank report format called TFOA

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Oct 2017, 20:00

Kolohe wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 19:27
The US Navy used to have enough things falling of aircraft that they had specific fill in the blank report format called TFOA
On my ship, the fleet Summery of Mishaps was included weekly in the Plan of the day. Each specific mishap was documented and then there would be a sentence that read "There were X incidents of things falling off aircraft".

Funny Story. Our executive officer made the SOM as follows
Senior officer walked directly into an I-beam, clearly painted in yellow and black stripes, striking his forehead and rendering him unconscious. 8 man hours lost.
What happened was, we were a sub-tender and submarines would tie-up along side of us. To get from our ship to a tended unit, you would go to the machine shop on our second deck and walk out the doors in our hull onto a gangway that went down to the sub. The doors have a lip on them (called a "knife edge" even though it isn't sharp) to help make them water tight. The gangway would set on that lip, meaning you would have to step up onto it going out, and down off of it coming in. Now the machine shop had a track of I-beam that ran around it about six and a half feet off the deck with a winch on it so you could move heavy machinery around. The track ran up to the doors stopping short. If you needed to move something heavy onto the sub and couldn't use one of the cranes on the main deck there was an I-beam extension that would extend it beyond the doors and a handful of deck apes could maneuver and lower it from the winch. Now with this extension on, and the gangway setting on the knife edge, the I-beam would be about eye high on the end of the gangway. Going out the door you'd notice it. But if you were walking up the gangway looking down where to put your feet you'd hit your head square on the end of it. Which is how our XO knocked himself out.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Oct 2017, 21:51

So the XO was reporting his own injury?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Oct 2017, 22:58

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 21:51
So the XO was reporting his own injury?
No. The injury was documented as a matter of course. As a "mishap" it became a line item in the fleet Summery of Mishaps that was documented weekly. The Plan of the Day is a daily document that is prepared by each command and delivered to each division in that command and is read out at the beginning of the work day.