Worthwhile intertubez finds

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Mar 2011, 11:47

Warren wrote:
Norbert Wronkletoad wrote:
JD wrote:A guy wrote a flowchart to help you figure out what baseball team you should root for.

I LOL'ed at "What baseball team should I root for? -> I have a soul. -> No -> Yankees".
i'd only change the redsux to, "i'm a brainless drone, programmed by ESPN to think of these twaddlenocks as being likable. just like with bill bellacheat, the espn sack-knockers go nuts, and I go along with it"
I think there needs to be another branch at the beginning. "Do you find going to the post office too fast paced and overstimulating?" -> No -> "Don't bother with baseball".
Or chess.

Norbert Wronkletoad
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 12 Mar 2011, 14:51

#
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 09 Nov 2011, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Mar 2011, 12:27

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2011, 17:14

Viat The Agitator

Jon Cryer comes out from under the bridge.

I am not sure I am ready to accept equal rights for them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2011, 17:27

Warren wrote:
JD wrote:A guy wrote a flowchart to help you figure out what baseball team you should root for.

I LOL'ed at "What baseball team should I root for? -> I have a soul. -> No -> Yankees".
i'd only change the redsux to, "i'm a brainless drone, programmed by ESPN to think of these twaddlenocks as being likable. just like with bill bellacheat, the espn sack-knockers go nuts, and I go along with it"
I think there needs to be another branch at the beginning. "Do you find going to the post office too fast paced and overstimulating?" -> No -> "Don't bother with baseball".
Also, "Do you like to see real atheletes in action?" -> Yes -> "Don't bother with baseball."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 13 Mar 2011, 18:05

Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:

Also, "Do you like to see real atheletes in action?" -> Yes -> "Don't bother with baseball."
Yeah. Real athletes like football player Deion Sanders (.262 lifetime BA in MLB, minimal HRs) and basketballers Michael Jordan (.202 BA with AA Birmingham) and Danny Ainge (.220 lifetime BA during 3 years with Toronto Blue Jays) would rip those no talent non-athletic hacks in major league baseball new assholes if he ever were to apply themselves to the game.

Or something like that.

ETA - Bo Jackson, Lifetime .250 BA.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Mar 2011, 02:42

"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Mar 2011, 02:43

Aresen wrote:Viat The Agitator

Jon Cryer comes out from under the bridge.

I am not sure I am ready to accept equal rights for them.
Ha! Excellent.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 14 Mar 2011, 04:50

A young sicentist at the University of Mocsco provides a demonstation of s database used to track ressarch into aging, or something. kKind of slow until yo get ot the 00:30 mark, with the climax occuring perhaps waround the 02:00 mark.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2011, 12:07

Pakistan has its own version of The Onion:

http://www.roznamajawani
.com/

Apparently they managed to fool Fox News:

http://www.salon.
com/news/politics/war_room/2011/03/14/fox_nation_pakistan_padded_bras/index.html
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Mar 2011, 23:48

While looking up Gottfried's 9/11 joke, I came across this:

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 15 Mar 2011, 14:36

Wow, an actual good editorial on American schooling in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/opini ... _LO_MST_FB
Our current educational approach doesn’t just fail to prepare teenagers for graduation or for college academics; it fails to prepare them, in a profound way, for adult life.

We want young people to become independent and capable, yet we structure their days to the minute and give them few opportunities to do anything but answer multiple-choice questions, follow instructions and memorize information. We cast social interaction as an impediment to learning, yet all evidence points to the huge role it plays in their psychological development.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Mar 2011, 16:20

For you Pegg/Frost and Star Wars fans:

http://www.collegehumor.
com/video:1949406
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Mar 2011, 18:10

JD wrote:Wow, an actual good editorial on American schooling in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/opini ... _LO_MST_FB
Our current educational approach doesn’t just fail to prepare teenagers for graduation or for college academics; it fails to prepare them, in a profound way, for adult life.

We want young people to become independent and capable, yet we structure their days to the minute and give them few opportunities to do anything but answer multiple-choice questions, follow instructions and memorize information. We cast social interaction as an impediment to learning, yet all evidence points to the huge role it plays in their psychological development.
I like the idea, and it seems like it worked in this case, but I'd like to see it work more than once with more than 8 people.

The fundamental problem with being 15 is that you don't know what you don't know, and unlike when you're 5 or 35, you don't even know that.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2011, 19:32

Kolohe wrote:The fundamental problem with being 15 is that you don't know what you don't know, and unlike when you're 5 or 35, you don't even know that.
That's a problem, but the fundamental problem is the hormones suddenly coursing through your veins, redefining and overwhelming every moment of your waking life, to deal with you haven't had the slightest preparation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 16 Mar 2011, 10:27

I agree that maybe not every school and every student is ready for the kind of experiment they described in the editorial, but I do think that their general assessment of the problem is right on target. True that 15-year-olds do not necessarily know what they don't know, or what they need to learn, so I think some adult guidance might be warranted, but I also think that they're probably not as bad as one might think, either: there's nothing that makes teachers or administrators necessarily the best judges of what needs to be learned. (Of course, I am also cynical enough to think that most people never mature much intellectually or emotionally beyond the age of 15 - but I'm also idealistic enough that this improves my estimation of 15-year-olds.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Mar 2011, 11:30

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Mar 2011, 23:06

April Winchell is a hero of mine for many reasons, not the least of which is her ability to recount an amusing story:
April Winchell wrote:I stood there, watching two legends of television beat the living crap out of each other and wondering what to do. I looked over at Carrie, who was regarding the events with her arms folded.
EDIT: quasi-related: A perfectly harmless sampler:

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 17 Mar 2011, 16:17

Video: The History of Twitter, in the style of a Ken Burns documentary:

(Ridiculously long URL follows.)

http://techland.time.com/2011/03/17/the ... nt=Twitter

EDIT: Warning: There's a commercial at the beginning, during which you cannot turn down the sound (for the video; you can still turn down your system's volume). Also, some language NSFW.

But also, pretty funny.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 17 Mar 2011, 23:06

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 Mar 2011, 22:56

People getting sliced up in movies.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Mar 2011, 23:38

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Mar 2011, 20:00

I may have to watch all of this.

JD

Post by JD » 21 Mar 2011, 17:02

As an acquaintance said, best headline of all time:
STRIP SEARCH FINDS CRACK BETWEEN BUTTOCKS
You know the editor was snickering as he wrote that one...

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Mar 2011, 19:08

One reason to not be on Facebook:

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo