And Lo, It Was Declared that Stuff Was Good

Rachel

Re: And Lo, It Was Declared that Stuff Was Good

Post by Rachel » 30 Jun 2016, 19:35

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Could you make a tote bag for dhex that says totes?
In teal?
With a Comic Sans font?
That would be awesome
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2016, 20:01

the innominate one wrote:
Warren wrote:
the innominate one wrote:It may be the second most abundant element in the universe the since most of the universe is either entirely inaccessible or not cost effective to access, that doesn't mean much.
That's going to change soon. By which I mean, not at all as far as the universe is concerned, but we'll be mining off earth soon.
Define soon.
Oh sometime in the next couple hundred years or so.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Jun 2016, 20:05

And when are we estimated to run out of helium, given current known reserves and current growth in use and current discovery rate?

Yes, I want to know when we will reach peak helium.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 01 Jul 2016, 11:59

Actually, now you people do make me want to make a tote bag that says that. Or maybe one that says "magotes".

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jul 2016, 12:19

In ALL CAPS
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 01 Jul 2016, 13:38

Here's a little mock-up from a custom design website:

I even went with orange and teal to make it pop (and refused to center the text)!
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Jul 2016, 13:39

JD wrote:Actually, now you people do make me want to make a tote bag that says that.
Last year at Pride I saw somebody selling a tote bag that said "Totes Gay." I wanted it very badly.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2016, 19:47

Wouldn't totes queer be more accurate?

BTW, totes is a brand name and likely trademarked.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Jul 2016, 19:56

Yeah, it was not quite accurate enough for me to buy it. But I so wanted it!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2016, 22:40

JD wrote:Actually, now you people do make me want to make a tote bag that says that. Or maybe one that says "magotes".
How about "maggots"?

Finally managed to get my AT&T internet mostly working, thanks to a technician with a stupid name. What kind of name is Ellie, anyway? And how could a woman know anything about technology? Craziness.

Didn't have to pay to get the wiring fixed to make it work, either (I wouldn't have in any case.)

Now to get the TV and Chromecast working.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Jul 2016, 13:20

Groovy. I have wifi, my tv is set up straight across from my bed, and the chromecast is set up and functional.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Jul 2016, 05:24

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jul 2016, 10:27

Hugh Akston wrote:Angie's List is now free
That can't be good.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Jul 2016, 11:57

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Angie's List is now free
That can't be good.
Yeah, I don't want it to become Yelp. OTOH, I get deals through there, so I assume that will stay part of the paid tier.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Aug 2016, 20:58

Nothing is better than when a plunger successfully deals with a clogged sink or shower drain.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Aug 2016, 10:25

Fin Fang Foom wrote:Nothing is better than when a plunger successfully deals with a clogged sink or shower drain.
Not even when your girlfriend pees on a stick and it comes up negative?

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 27 Aug 2016, 12:11

Some sucker nice person just made us an offer on the house in Spring. I have a verbal on it and assuming it's as described we'll come away with 10K more in proceeds than my floor. With a bit of luck, we can be out by mid September. Yay!
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 27 Aug 2016, 12:23

Cool. 8-)

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Aug 2016, 18:20

tr0g wrote:Some sucker nice person just made us an offer on the house in Spring. I have a verbal on it and assuming it's as described we'll come away with 10K more in proceeds than my floor. With a bit of luck, we can be out by mid September. Yay!
His wife objected so they backed out. Fuckers.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 30 Aug 2016, 20:52

tr0g wrote:
tr0g wrote:Some sucker nice person just made us an offer on the house in Spring. I have a verbal on it and assuming it's as described we'll come away with 10K more in proceeds than my floor. With a bit of luck, we can be out by mid September. Yay!
Did you get the earnest money?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Sep 2016, 19:56

tr0g wrote:
he made an offer without checking with his spouse? sucks yo.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 02 Sep 2016, 09:05

dhex wrote:
tr0g wrote:
he made an offer without checking with his spouse? sucks yo.
With disastrous planning like that, it's a good thing they backed out sooner rather than 3/4ths of the way through the process...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

JD

Post by JD » 02 Sep 2016, 11:11

My wife entered a dress into the 2016 challenge of the Association of Sewing and Design Professionals, and she made it into the finals! So maybe at the conference in Vancouver in October she'll be the winner. The prize, IIRC, is a rather fancy sewing machine, plus of course the bragging rights.

re: people making housing decisions without consulting others - years ago, my wife and I showed an apartment for the landlord, and the lady who saw the apartment immediately put down a deposit. When her boyfriend, who was living with her, came to see it, he immediately said, "I can't live here", and he was right. The apartment was a small one with tight spaces, and the guy was probably 6'5" and 350 lb. This guy using that apartment's bathroom would have been like one of those "how many people can you fit in a phone booth?" contests. We were nice and gave the lady her deposit back, because he was absolutely right, but I wonder how the hell it escapes your notice that your boyfriend is a large person.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 13 Sep 2016, 13:51

I can't tell anyone this in real life yet because the start date is still being debated and therefore the offer letter is not official.

And really, I probably won't feel comfortable saying this until I have my first day of work anyway.

But I got a job.

Originally the offer letter said start September 26th. Now they just emailed me and asked if I can start on Friday, September 16th. As in, in 3 days.

Which I technically can, but...that feels rushed, and my sleep pattern is still all screwed up, and it's a really good thing I have a therapy appointment in an hour so I can figure this out!

But yeah. Job.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Sep 2016, 13:51

Woo-hoo! Hooray, Rachel!!

What is the job?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b