And Lo, It Was Declared that Stuff Was Good

Warren

Re: And Lo, It Was Declared that Stuff Was Good

Post by Warren » 10 May 2016, 18:43

Kolohe wrote:I just can't believe there's an instution around that George W Bush was part of and is still functioning.
I assume you're referring to the state of Texas.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 10 May 2016, 21:44

I guess this is a good thing. I was asked to peer review a manuscript for Biological Journal of the Linnean Society.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 May 2016, 10:05

Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:I just can't believe there's an instution around that George W Bush was part of and is still functioning.
Functioning of that entity was dubious before he showed up and it's dubious still.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 May 2016, 10:17

tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
Functioning of that entity was dubious before he showed up and it's dubious still.
The National Guard?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 11 May 2016, 11:18

Warren wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
The National Guard?
Damnit, Warren.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 May 2016, 10:06

So, thanks to Sandy and Jasper for helping me figure out backyard botany on Twitter yesterday. I now know my yard has a creeping fig.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jun 2016, 15:14

I got my new TV delivered today! LG OLED B6 55" And 7:15 is darn early in the morning to have something delivered.

Now to decide how much setting adjustment I want to do with it. I did turn motion smoothing off on the Blu-Ray input, because it was making 24fps animation look like 60 fps CG.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 27 Jun 2016, 19:36

:D
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Jun 2016, 17:13

Turns out we're not running out of the second most abundant element in the universe as fast as we thought
If quickly using up supplies of a resource millions of years in the making sounds like a job for the fossil fuel industry, you’re not wrong. Most of the world’s helium comes from natural gas, where it can exist in very small quantities. A good source will be about 3 percent helium, but more often helium hovers between 0.1 percent and 0.5 percent—nothing compared to the relatively astronomical 10 percent pocket found in Tanzania. But worldwide, helium is about a thousand times less lucrative than gas, so even though removing (inert) helium makes the gas burn better, companies don’t usually bother to take it out. “Normally, it’s an afterthought,” says Samuel Burton, assistant field manager at the Federal Helium Program. “It’s something that they don’t even consider because the natural gas makes so much more money for them.”

When helium’s price goes up—like it has for most of the past few years—natural gas companies are incentivized to sell extracted helium on its own. Countries like Qatar mine so much natural gas that even though it has relatively little helium, they can crank out a decent percentage of the world’s demand as an afterthought.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Jun 2016, 18:03

Hugh Akston wrote:Turns out we're not running out of the second most abundant element in the universe as fast as we thought
If quickly using up supplies of a resource millions of years in the making sounds like a job for the fossil fuel industry, you’re not wrong. Most of the world’s helium comes from natural gas, where it can exist in very small quantities. A good source will be about 3 percent helium, but more often helium hovers between 0.1 percent and 0.5 percent—nothing compared to the relatively astronomical 10 percent pocket found in Tanzania. But worldwide, helium is about a thousand times less lucrative than gas, so even though removing (inert) helium makes the gas burn better, companies don’t usually bother to take it out. “Normally, it’s an afterthought,” says Samuel Burton, assistant field manager at the Federal Helium Program. “It’s something that they don’t even consider because the natural gas makes so much more money for them.”

When helium’s price goes up—like it has for most of the past few years—natural gas companies are incentivized to sell extracted helium on its own. Countries like Qatar mine so much natural gas that even though it has relatively little helium, they can crank out a decent percentage of the world’s demand as an afterthought.
I had been wondering about the "helium shortage" for a while. The fact that people continued to use it for party balloons seemed strange as the price should be going through the roof it was indeed rapidly running out.

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Jun 2016, 18:43

"Rapidly running out" is relative. And balloons are just this piddly use that's probably the biggest profit for helium. I think one of the more worrisome parts of helium is that it's not in any way a renewable resource. Once you get it out of the ground, it's going to get off the earth somehow.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Jun 2016, 18:59

Yeah, like diamonds, everyone has been conned into believing they are extremely rare despite walking past jewelry store after jewelry store offering diamonds a-plenty. Helium may have been scarce relative to industrial needs, but party balloons and squeaky voices are several orders of magnitude lower than industrial needs.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jun 2016, 19:27

It may be the second most abundant element in the universe the since most of the universe is either entirely inaccessible or not cost effective to access, that doesn't mean much.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2016, 19:43

the innominate one wrote:It may be the second most abundant element in the universe the since most of the universe is either entirely inaccessible or not cost effective to access, that doesn't mean much.
That's going to change soon. By which I mean, not at all as far as the universe is concerned, but we'll be mining off earth soon.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Jun 2016, 20:46

Highway wrote:"Rapidly running out" is relative. And balloons are just this piddly use that's probably the biggest profit for helium. I think one of the more worrisome parts of helium is that it's not in any way a renewable resource. Once you get it out of the ground, it's going to get off the earth somehow.
That won't be a problem in 10-20 years when cold fusion generators are producing helium as a byproduct.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jun 2016, 20:56

Warren wrote:
the innominate one wrote:It may be the second most abundant element in the universe the since most of the universe is either entirely inaccessible or not cost effective to access, that doesn't mean much.
That's going to change soon. By which I mean, not at all as far as the universe is concerned, but we'll be mining off earth soon.
Define soon.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jun 2016, 21:38

I heard there's a Stanford dropout with a plan to make helium using just a fraction of the usual number of protons and neutrons that other processes require. If she gets a market valuation in the billions we'll know it's solid.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Jun 2016, 21:46

thoreau wrote:I heard there's a Stanford dropout with a plan to make helium using just a fraction of the usual number of protons and neutrons that other processes require. If she gets a market valuation in the billions we'll know it's solid.
That's just a bunch of ambient temperature, non-flammable air!
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Jun 2016, 21:55

Warren wrote:
Asteroids have heavy elements, we're probably quite a ways away from mining stars.

And part the reason why the price hasn't been going up is because Congress required the sell off the strategic helium reserve, flooding the market.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jun 2016, 03:47

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
Asteroids have heavy elements, we're probably quite a ways away from mining stars.

And part the reason why the price hasn't been going up is because Congress required the sell off the strategic helium reserve, flooding the market.
Which deep-sixed DoD's program to bring back military dirigibles.

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jun 2016, 16:21

My wife has acquired a professional embroidery machine for her shop, and the two of us are going to a training class for it. With the new hardware, software, and training, we should be able to embroider on just about anything (that will fit into the machine, anyway). Anybody want a Grylliade trucker cap?

Slightly more seriously, this will give us new product lines to add to the shop. Along with the bridal work that's the bread and butter of the shop, we can cross-sell bridesmaids'/groomsmen's gifts like monogrammed handkerchiefs, bathrobes, etc. We can also do stuff that is hopefully less seasonal than bridal work*, like shirts, hats, and aprons for local businesses. Also, the proprietress of a local shop has advised us that anything with "Brooklyn" on it sells really well, and we can sell stuff through her on consignment, so we can make tote bags, purses, patches, etc.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jun 2016, 16:23

Could you make a tote bag for dhex that says totes?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Jun 2016, 18:19

Hugh Akston wrote:Could you make a tote bag for dhex that says totes?
In teal?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jun 2016, 18:33

Kolohe wrote:
In teal?
With a Comic Sans font?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Jun 2016, 18:41

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
In teal?
With a Comic Sans font?
Obviously it will have to be in comic sans.

Horatio Sanz should have his name legally changed to Comic Sans.