And Lo, It Was Declared that Stuff Was Good

dhex

Re: And Lo, It Was Declared that Stuff Was Good

Post by dhex » 23 Dec 2015, 10:21

i know i'm just jinxing shit and this is sad as hell from a context of only a few years ago, but it looks like a local wisp is going to be able to install a dish in a tree on the edge of my property that will get me 5.5-6mb down (in shitty weather, just tested) and about 1.2 up for 70 bucks a month unlimited. which if it's stable for 3 months or so means i can fire verizon and unfortunately also fire my mom and pop unlimited 3g provider. but that will save me a ton of money each month. i'm excited.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Dec 2015, 10:42

dhex wrote:i know i'm just jinxing shit and this is sad as hell from a context of only a few years ago, but it looks like a local wisp is going to be able to install a dish in a tree on the edge of my property that will get me 5.5-6mb down (in shitty weather, just tested) and about 1.2 up for 70 bucks a month unlimited. which if it's stable for 3 months or so means i can fire verizon and unfortunately also fire my mom and pop unlimited 3g provider. but that will save me a ton of money each month. i'm excited.
That is awesome.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Dec 2015, 11:33

i'm getting closer to 1-2 mb/s from the actual connection in house. jinx achieved!

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Dec 2015, 11:41

It's not like electric potential. Can you figure out where the bottleneck is on your network? Or are you measuring the 1-2 inside the house on the direct network connection from the dish?

And I know you are loathe to use capital letters, but is that a 1-2 mbps (mega-bit per second) as in DSL speed? Or is that 1-2 MB/s (megabyte per second) download speed (which is more like 10 mbps)?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 23 Dec 2015, 11:46

Highway wrote:It's not like electric potential. Can you figure out where the bottleneck is on your network? Or are you measuring the 1-2 inside the house on the direct network connection from the dish?

And I know you are loathe to use capital letters, but is that a 1-2 mbps (mega-bit per second) as in DSL speed? Or is that 1-2 MB/s (megabyte per second) download speed (which is more like 10 mbps)?
Speed is measured in bits (or megabits or gigabits) per second, size is measured in bytes...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Dec 2015, 11:48

Taktix® wrote:
Highway wrote:It's not like electric potential. Can you figure out where the bottleneck is on your network? Or are you measuring the 1-2 inside the house on the direct network connection from the dish?

Speed is measured in bits (or megabits or gigabits) per second, size is measured in bytes...
Dude, I know that, but it's still not clear what he's reporting...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Dec 2015, 12:00

download speeds. sorry for the confusion. some of this may be weather related, which bodes poorly. however, i can drop my far, far slower unlimited 3g line now. but being able to fire verizon remains, for the time being, a pipe dream.

bleh.

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jan 2016, 10:40

aaaand i can stream netflix! wooha charlie gonna blow my fuckin' brains out!

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jan 2016, 11:03

Al Pacino?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jan 2016, 11:07

wooha! charlie! gonna binge watch season two of girls charlie! wooha!

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Jan 2016, 11:27

He's going to Netflix Mountain!

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 Jan 2016, 12:17

I moved to Brunswick Maine yesterday. It's gorgeous. I'll be here for at least a few months, and a friend of a friend has an interview set up for me this week at a production vegetable greenhouse, which would fit me pretty well. I'll try and post some pictures soon, but I have to go into town for internet until I get it hooked up at the house.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 03 Jan 2016, 12:08

Dangerman wrote:I moved to Brunswick Maine yesterday. It's gorgeous. I'll be here for at least a few months, and a friend of a friend has an interview set up for me this week at a production vegetable greenhouse, which would fit me pretty well. I'll try and post some pictures soon, but I have to go into town for internet until I get it hooked up at the house.
That strikes me as entirely too far north, but good on ya if you like it. Hope things work out in 2016, DM.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Jan 2016, 12:55

Dangerman wrote:I moved to Brunswick Maine yesterday. It's gorgeous. I'll be here for at least a few months, and a friend of a friend has an interview set up for me this week at a production vegetable greenhouse, which would fit me pretty well. I'll try and post some pictures soon, but I have to go into town for internet until I get it hooked up at the house.
Have you tried the stew?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 03 Jan 2016, 13:23

This seems like a good step. A good start to 2016?
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Jan 2016, 15:50

I'll agree that it's less bad.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jan 2016, 15:54

You're getting there at exactly the wrong time of year. It's going to be harsh (seriously) until March or April.
But when spring does arrive it will be all the more glorious for having endured the winter. And if you're still there in the fall, and if a storm doesn't rip the leaves from the trees, well I dare say your eyes have never seen such beauty. Also lobster.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Jan 2016, 16:00

Dude, I only moved like 1.5 hours away. I know what I'm in for. It's actually somewhat milder here because of the ocean. Midday temps are higher than in the mountains, but the wind is more brisk. Tradeoffs.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jan 2016, 16:07

Oh. That's different.

nevermind
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 04 Jan 2016, 19:28

Good deal Man of Danger! I hope the new digs ahh, grow on you.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Apr 2016, 19:50

Animaniacs are loose on Netflix again.

http://www.avclub.com/article/animaniac ... lix-234891
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Apr 2016, 20:04

Call me for Pinky and the Brain and/our Earthworm Jim.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 May 2016, 12:33

lunchstealer wrote:Animaniacs are loose on Netflix again.

http://www.avclub.com/article/animaniac ... lix-234891
I would like FIVE GODDAMN MINUTES without the Animaniacs theme song in my head, please.

DAMN YOU, NETFLIX
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 May 2016, 17:53

A minor triumph today! My son had been given two tickets to a forthcoming Rangers game, which he could have taken a friend to go see or sold, for that matter; but he asked if we could get two more tickets and go as a family.

So I spent somewhere approaching an hour online trying to pin down two tickets in the general vicinity of his seats and I was striking out far below the Mendoza Line when an odd thought struck me: Hey, why not try to make a telephone call to the Rangers' box office? And to my mild but genuine astonishment, I reached a human being in less than two minutes and the guy there fixed us up with two seats right next to my son's seats. Success!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 May 2016, 18:40

I just can't believe there's an instution around that George W Bush was part of and is still functioning.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex