heroes of the day

Kolohe

Re: heroes of the day

Post by Kolohe » 03 Jul 2013, 18:54

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Jul 2013, 19:14

Quick take would be that Camp David trumps the Foreign Assistance Act. Haven't read either in twenty years, though.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Jul 2013, 19:24

that's what the article says too, but I'm not a fan of treaties overriding legislation.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Jul 2013, 20:06

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Jul 2013, 23:38

Well, the Egyptian military has at least some taste in music.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Jul 2013, 15:41

Obviously a king is just the person to hit up for advice on liberal democracy. Granted, he's Western educated and speaks flawless English. I guess this is why I'll never be Very Serious.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2013, 16:17

Mo wrote:Obviously a king is just the person to hit up for advice on liberal democracy. Granted, he's Western educated and speaks flawless English. I guess this is why I'll never be Very Serious.
One advantage monarchs have is that they can look at a longer term than the next election.

Another advantage is that change of government can be accomplished with a single bullet.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jul 2013, 13:25

Is it odd that what's an attempt at scathing criticism of Obama's foreign policy actually makes it sounds pretty awesome? I'm guessing part of the reason is that Jonah Goldberg wrote it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Jul 2013, 13:36

Mo wrote:Is it odd that what's an attempt at scathing criticism of Obama's foreign policy actually makes it sounds pretty awesome? I'm guessing part of the reason is that Jonah Goldberg wrote it.
Mr. Goldberg makes the White Queen look like an amateur. Not only can he believe six impossible things before breakfast, he can write an article redefining a word and then attacking it. Impressive.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jul 2013, 13:55

He was the guy that advocated invading Iraq because sometimes the US should kick some little country around just to show everyone who's boss. Which, aside from the war having the exact opposite effect, is how an insecure bully acts rather than a true BMOC.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 09 Jul 2013, 14:01

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Mo wrote:If Operation Eagle Claw wasn't such a colossal fuck up, which was not really his fault, and instead succeeded, Carter gets a second term.
I was around then and I strongly disagree. Eagle Claw turned a defeat into a landslide, but Carter was already behind. And he was around because of the largely perceived perception that he was incompetent. Eagle Claw (rightly or wrongly) only hammered home that message. But people were saying it LONG before.
Carter lost when he started wearing sweaters and telling voters they'd just have to get used to doing without as much. He'd have lost fewer votes anally raping a black, Jewish AARP member with the cameras running.
Hmm. Seems to me it was Ford who had himself photographed wearing a sweater with a WIN button (for whip inflation now) to represent his lowered winter thermostat that he was imploring his subjects to emulate.

That said, I agree with your larger point that Carter long had a reputation as a weenie who tried to convince the nation to make do with less. I think it was his "malaise" speech that might have been the turning point.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 09 Jul 2013, 14:41

Mo wrote:He was the guy that advocated invading Iraq because sometimes the US should kick some little country around just to show everyone who's boss. Which, aside from the war having the exact opposite effect, is how an insecure bully acts rather than a true BMOC.
Please Mo. HNIC is the preferred nomenclature.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 09 Jul 2013, 14:43

Ayn_Randian wrote:
Mo wrote:He was the guy that advocated invading Iraq because sometimes the US should kick some little country around just to show everyone who's boss. Which, aside from the war having the exact opposite effect, is how an insecure bully acts rather than a true BMOC.
Please Mo. HNIC is the preferred nomenclature.
Hockey Night In Canada?

ETA: don't explain, I know
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jul 2013, 14:58

Ayn_Randian wrote:Please Mo. HNIC is the preferred nomenclature.
I want guys like DAR to be able to comprehend my post.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Jul 2013, 16:36

Somehow my mom is the dirty hippie always protesting out on the streets and I am the bourgeois corporate stooge concerned about her well being.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Jul 2013, 16:48

Mo wrote:Somehow my mom is the dirty hippie always protesting out on the streets and I am the bourgeois corporate stooge concerned about her well being.
Dude, welcome to the club.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Jul 2013, 17:02

Mo wrote:Somehow my mom is the dirty hippie always protesting out on the streets and I am the bourgeois corporate stooge concerned about her well being.
Is she back in the Old Country? Because I'm a corporate stooge, but if I were there...
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Aug 2013, 17:07

The only Egyptiuans we should care about are the Jesus branded ones. :roll:

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2013, 17:43

Mo wrote:The only Egyptiuans we should care about are the Jesus branded ones. :roll:
I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to people who want to give disproportionate weight to treatment of religious minorities. It can be something of a bellwether. However, I consider Muslims and Christians in Israel to be religious minorities, as well as Sunnis in Iraq and Iran, Muslims in Thailand, Muslims in China, etc.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Aug 2013, 18:26

Well, the thing is most of those Christians would be 'Christians' were they in the US and even more heretical (in the eyes of of the audience this is written for) than mormons or papists. I mean, we're talking people that split off when the Western Roman Empire was (barely) a going concern.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2013, 18:28

Kolohe wrote:Well, the thing is most of those Christians would be 'Christians' were they in the US and even more heretical (in the eyes of of the audience this is written for) than mormons or papists. I mean, we're talking people that split off when the Western Roman Empire was (barely) a going concern.
Eh, what do Copts think of gays and abortion?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Aug 2013, 18:40

thoreau wrote:Eh, what do Copts think of gays
sinners "condemned by God in the Old and New Testaments."
and abortion?
murder, but acceptable and tragic when the health of the mother is threatened. "But we thank God, that as a result of medical advances, these cases are very rare now"

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Aug 2013, 18:40

oh, now the penny just dropped.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2013, 18:44

Kolohe wrote:oh, now the penny just dropped.
Huh?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Aug 2013, 18:47

iswydt

(eventually)