heroes of the day

fyodor

Re: heroes of the day

Post by fyodor » 02 Jul 2013, 16:01

Mo wrote:From what I hear on the ground, root for early elections first, bringing in opposition into the govt second, generals third, Morsi never.
Hmm, that kinda sounds like the generals to me, as the first two would be up to Morsi who ain't gonna do either (unless he fears the generals enough).
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jul 2013, 16:18

thoreau wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Yeah, but a materials scientist? You want a STEM guy running a country? I mean, how impossible must it be for a guy with a PhD in STEM to resist thinking what the country needs is some social engineering?
STEM pipeline, dude.

The Pope has a chemistry degree.
Well, there's that whole "transubstatiation" thing...
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jul 2013, 16:20

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
thoreau wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Yeah, but a materials scientist? You want a STEM guy running a country? I mean, how impossible must it be for a guy with a PhD in STEM to resist thinking what the country needs is some social engineering?
STEM pipeline, dude.

You say this as though it's a good thing?
Obviously we want heads of state to be STEM majors, since they understand the importance of the sacred STEM pipeline. And the Pope is a head of state.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jul 2013, 20:13

thoreau wrote:
STEM pipeline, dude.

Just remember, the only two US Presidents with STEM backgrounds were Carter and Hoover.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Jul 2013, 20:21

Kolohe wrote:
thoreau wrote:
STEM pipeline, dude.

Just remember, the only two US Presidents with STEM backgrounds were Carter and Hoover.
Who might be the two most underrated presidents. Certainly the most underrated of their century.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Jul 2013, 20:25

I'll agree that both got hosed by circumstance, but each one's reactions to those circumstances was utterly ineffectual and politically tone-deaf. They were the wrong men for the job.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Jul 2013, 20:36

Hoover I'm voting underrated just because he's rated so badly that it would be hard for him not to be. He didn't do a good job as president, but he wasn't the Absolute Font of All Evil that he sometimes gets interpreted as.

Carter, on the other hand, did a lot of substantive good that he's not appreciated for--he's largely responsible for the beginning of the Reagan boom, between his appointment of Volcker and the beginning of various deregulation movements.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jul 2013, 20:54

If Operation Eagle Claw wasn't such a colossal fuck up, which was not really his fault, and instead succeeded, Carter gets a second term.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jul 2013, 21:02

Mo wrote:If Operation Eagle Claw wasn't such a colossal fuck up, which was not really his fault, and instead succeeded, Carter gets a second term.
But what if it had gone well? What then huh? A Mondale administration?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jul 2013, 21:15

God no.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Jul 2013, 21:20

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:If Operation Eagle Claw wasn't such a colossal fuck up, which was not really his fault, and instead succeeded, Carter gets a second term.
But what if it had gone well? What then huh? A Mondale administration?
Oh my . . . *fans self*
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jul 2013, 23:42

Notable, my mom and aunt have been out in the streets protesting every day since at least Sunday (maybe including Saturday). They're about as Western and cushy living as an Egyptian can get without simultaneously being a kleptocrat. They're secularish (they're Muslim, but not at all conservative, no headscarves for example).

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Jul 2013, 10:11

Found this one quite amusing.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Jul 2013, 15:22

The WaPo is announcing that Morsi has been removed from office and the Egyptian military spokesperson is calling for new elections.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jul 2013, 15:26

Momomma called me after she got home from the protests. Seemed very happy with the outcome. Said the protests were much more organized this year and joked, "Maybe next year, we'll be able to pull them off flawlessly."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Jul 2013, 15:28

Mo wrote:Momomma called me after she got home from the protests. Seemed very happy with the outcome. Said the protests were much more organized this year and joked, "Maybe next year, we'll be able to pull them off flawlessly."
I think I'd like to steal that, properly redacted, of course.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jul 2013, 16:06

Go for it.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2013, 16:10

With all due respect to Mo, who is unquestionably more up on the situation in Egypt than I am, I am very dubious about a military coup.

Generals are usually worse than the Presidents they replace and I think this will just make the Islamists more obdurate and fanatical for the next time they get power.*

ETA: Remember that Nasser came to power through a double-coup.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jul 2013, 16:19

This seemed to be a mix of military, secular, clerical, and liberal overthrow. The roadmap is being developed by multiple parties, not just the military. The problem is that Morsi was flouting constitutional limits as they existed.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jul 2013, 16:23

From my FB, "Nasser, Sadat and Mubarak tried to get rid of the Muslim Brotherhood. Only Morsi succeeded."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2013, 16:37

Mo wrote:This seemed to be a mix of military, secular, clerical, and liberal overthrow. The roadmap is being developed by multiple parties, not just the military. The problem is that Morsi was flouting constitutional limits as they existed.
Shit, that's the High Road to Re-election in a certain North American Republic.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 03 Jul 2013, 17:06

I was around then and I strongly disagree. Eagle Claw turned a defeat into a landslide, but Carter was already behind. And he was around because of the largely perceived perception that he was incompetent. Eagle Claw (rightly or wrongly) only hammered home that message. But people were saying it LONG before.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 03 Jul 2013, 17:08

Well here's hoping the generals keep their promise. From where I sit, seems like it could go either way. I wonder what the reaction of Morsi's supporters will be.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Jul 2013, 18:36

stolen from fark:
Morsi was the most fairly elected leader in the history of Egypt and he was taking steps to make sure his first election would retain that distinction

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Jul 2013, 18:50

fyodor wrote:
I was around then and I strongly disagree. Eagle Claw turned a defeat into a landslide, but Carter was already behind. And he was around because of the largely perceived perception that he was incompetent. Eagle Claw (rightly or wrongly) only hammered home that message. But people were saying it LONG before.
Carter lost when he started wearing sweaters and telling voters they'd just have to get used to doing without as much. He'd have lost fewer votes anally raping a black, Jewish AARP member with the cameras running.