heroes of the day

Ali

heroes of the day

Post by Ali » 25 Jan 2011, 13:46

i am following with great anticipation the events in my country today.

this video, in particularly, stands out. must see. especially ~1:20.

J sub D

Re: heroes of the day

Post by J sub D » 25 Jan 2011, 14:00

Ali wrote:i am following with great anticipation the events in my country today.

Twitter Blocked in Egypt As Protests Turn Violent
Dictators rarely go quietly. I sincerely hope all of your loved ones remain safe and Mubarak's head gets displayed on a spike chooses exile.*

* Damn! I'm getting soft.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Ali

Post by Ali » 25 Jan 2011, 14:05

J sub D wrote:
Ali wrote:i am following with great anticipation the events in my country today.

Dictators rarely go quietly. I sincerely hope all of your loved ones remain safe and Mubarak's head gets displayed on a spike chooses exile.*

everyone seems to be safe. this is quite a big moment is egypt's modern history. i have been glued to my computer all day long following the news.

i learned that there are many ways to go around blocking of twitter and facebook, and other media outlets. kudos to all those who made the internet what it is today. may it always be free!

can you guys see this photo?

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 25 Jan 2011, 14:20

Ali wrote:
J sub D wrote:

everyone seems to be safe. this is quite a big moment is egypt's modern history. i have been glued to my computer all day long following the news.

i learned that there are many ways to go around blocking of twitter and facebook, and other media outlets. kudos to all those who made the internet what it is today. may it always be free!

Not at work, where facebook is blocked! I'll try at home tonight, if I remember to!

I hope for Egypt:

1. Positive change
2. The smallest amount of bloodshed (particularly of innocents) possible to achieve that

Y'know, I'm still a little confused as to why Ben Ali left Tunisia. The narrative is the riots drove him out. Simple as that, best as this semi-avid news follower can tell. But I don't see why one would necessarily lead to the other. Tyrants can always ignore riots or squelch them in various ways. Only if a tyrant loses control of the security forces is he really up shits creek. Now, if the security forces sympathize with the rioters, refuse to fire on them, or are afraid for their own lives, then yeah, the riots will lead to a loss of control of the security forces which results in the tyrant being done with. The last of those could be a result of the sheer force of the riots. But just {riots = tyrant deposed} doesn't quite equate for me. Seems there must have been something more to it than just that.

Anyway, may that something more now apply to Egypt!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Ali

Post by Ali » 25 Jan 2011, 15:16

fyodor wrote:
Ali wrote:
J sub D wrote:

Not at work, where facebook is blocked! I'll try at home tonight, if I remember to!

I hope for Egypt:

1. Positive change
2. The smallest amount of bloodshed (particularly of innocents) possible to achieve that

Y'know, I'm still a little confused as to why Ben Ali left Tunisia. The narrative is the riots drove him out. Simple as that, best as this semi-avid news follower can tell. But I don't see why one would necessarily lead to the other. Tyrants can always ignore riots or squelch them in various ways. Only if a tyrant loses control of the security forces is he really up shits creek. Now, if the security forces sympathize with the rioters, refuse to fire on them, or are afraid for their own lives, then yeah, the riots will lead to a loss of control of the security forces which results in the tyrant being done with. The last of those could be a result of the sheer force of the riots. But just {riots = tyrant deposed} doesn't quite equate for me. Seems there must have been something more to it than just that.

Anyway, may that something more now apply to Egypt!
one speculation i have is that what drove him out wasn't really the riots, but someone else more powerful used the riots and his own power (head of the police?) to take over the country later.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 25 Jan 2011, 15:19

Awesome photo and video.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 25 Jan 2011, 15:19

This is not good, though -- this just appeared on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/Alshaheeed
Reports say Egyptian police in Suez opened fire live ammunition killing Mustafa Reda Mahmoud Abdelfattah, 20 years old #Egypt #Jan25
27 minutes ago via web
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Ali

Post by Ali » 25 Jan 2011, 15:42

there are many reports of deaths in many parts of the country.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 25 Jan 2011, 16:09

This does not look good for the Mubarak regime.
Al Jazeera wrote:The demonstrations prompted US secretary of state Hillary Clinton to assert during a press conference that "Egypt's government is stable."
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mid
dleeast/2011/01/20111251711053608.html

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Jan 2011, 16:27

J sub D wrote:This does not look good for the Mubarak regime.
Al Jazeera wrote:The demonstrations prompted US secretary of state Hillary Clinton to assert during a press conference that "Egypt's government is stable."
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mid
dleeast/2011/01/20111251711053608.html
Is that like when the owner of a sports team says that they have the utmost confidence in their head coach 3 weeks days before firing him?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Jan 2011, 16:45

The H&R squirrels seem to have gotten into the spirit too today ...
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Ali

Post by Ali » 25 Jan 2011, 19:21

a friend wrote on facebook:

"I am back and safe... I am now proud of being Egyptian and one of those men and women who stood up to injustice in an unprecedented move of at least 100 thousands in Cairo alone... Today we crossed the fear line.."

"It was such a civilized protest from the peoples' end, no swearing, no violence, no breaking of anything, even people were kind to some of the helpless police officers.. On the other end they threw very intense tear gas several times throughout the day, stones, beating and random arresting of individuals.."

other news sources said that thousands of people in the main square (tahrir square = "liberty square") were dispersed via an overwhelming show of fource by the police, special forces and police in civilian uniforms. they used taser, battons, clubs, and even live amunition, resulting in the death of some people.

Ali

Post by Ali » 26 Jan 2011, 12:06

another amazing photo.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Jan 2011, 14:51

A fairly predictible (and iianm predicted upthread) response
Egypt arrested some 500 demonstrators on Tuesday and Wednesday during two days and a night of protests seeking to end the 30-year rule of President Hosni Mubarak, an Interior Ministry source said
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE70P22C20110126
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ali

Post by Ali » 26 Jan 2011, 15:52

bin ali is supposedly now on the run internationally. he's on interpol's arrest list.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 26 Jan 2011, 16:09

Ali wrote:bin ali is supposedly now on the run internationally. he's on interpol's arrest list.
So is Roman Polanski.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jan 2011, 17:25

J sub D wrote:
Ali wrote:bin ali is supposedly now on the run internationally. he's on interpol's arrest list.
So is Roman Polanski.
Then again, so is Julian Assange.

Is bin Ali accused of a sex crime?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Jan 2011, 17:29

thoreau wrote:
J sub D wrote:
So is Roman Polanski.

No, but Silvio Berlusconi is.

Hmm, all the pieces all falling into place.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ali

Post by Ali » 26 Jan 2011, 17:57

Kolohe wrote:
thoreau wrote:
J sub D wrote:
So is Roman Polanski.

No, but Silvio Berlusconi is.

Hmm, all the pieces all falling into place.
made my laugh.

these two videos are very touching. it can probably be categorized as sensationalism, but they truly touch me. the first is very powerful.

khaled saed, the young man in whose honor these demonstrations are conducted, was (allegedly) brutally killed by the police in alexandria. for more about him and a photo of him at the time of his death can be found here:

(warning: extremely graphic)

http://www.arabist.net/blog/2010/6/14/t ... -said.html

Ali

Post by Ali » 26 Jan 2011, 21:06

more non-sensational footage of the protests in cairo. it shoes police brutality in confronting the protesters. they even used armored vehicles* to chase people in the streets.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/multimedia ... 8%A8%C2%BB

in arabic, but with english subtitles. just click the play button.

* wouldn't be surprised if those are paid for by us aid.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jan 2011, 21:22

Ali wrote:more non-sensational footage of the protests in cairo. it shoes police brutality in confronting the protesters. they even used armored vehicles* to chase people in the streets.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/multimedia ... 8%A8%C2%BB

in arabic, but with english subtitles. just click the play button.

* wouldn't be surprised if those are paid for by us aid.
Ali, we gave them those armored vehicles to defend our freedom. Why do you hate our freedom?

If we didn't give aid to Mubarak, then Egypt might be governed by some sort of illiberal and oppressive government.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Ali

Post by Ali » 26 Jan 2011, 23:50

this is just sooo... hilarious. so 1984-ish.

this article appears in the pro-government paper "el-ahram"

http://www.ahram.org.eg/424/2011/01/26/25/60407.aspx

paraphrasing:

"on the 25th, the anniversary of the police force national holiday, the citizens and the police exchanged chocholates as a way for the citizenry to express gratitude and to celebrate them. and waiting for them (the citizenry) was a large number of police leadership who, in turn, gave sweets to the citizens who raced to give flowers to the leaders."

exchange chocolate, roses and sweets my ass!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Jan 2011, 07:08

Ali wrote:this is just sooo... hilarious. so 1984-ish.

this article appears in the pro-government paper "el-ahram"

http://www.ahram.org.eg/424/2011/01/26/25/60407.aspx

paraphrasing:

"on the 25th, the anniversary of the police force national holiday, the citizens and the police exchanged chocholates as a way for the citizenry to express gratitude and to celebrate them. and waiting for them (the citizenry) was a large number of police leadership who, in turn, gave sweets to the citizens who raced to give flowers to the leaders."

exchange chocolate, roses and sweets my ass!
I can't read any arabic, but I suspect comment 61 agreed with you
HAHAHAHHAHHAA
HHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA

Ali

Post by Ali » 27 Jan 2011, 09:40

this has all the flavors of the scene of (us forces-assisted) iraqis bringing down saddam's statue in the central baghdad. except just sweeter.

Ali

Post by Ali » 27 Jan 2011, 09:45

this has all the flavors of the scene of (us forces-assisted) iraqis bringing down saddam's statue in the central baghdad. except just sweeter.