OFFS

dhex
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: OFFS

Post by dhex » 23 Mar 2011, 12:59

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/broo ... KHF0g9CWxO

the whole thing is an offs, but my particular offs point is that people still think that digital systems have no way of tracking things like "when something is edited".
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 25 Mar 2011, 08:49

JasonL wrote:I've seen a machine that cures cancer by tuning into the resonance frequency of cancer cells, ...
Holy shit, why didn't I see this before I started the radiation and chemo routines? All I need to do is develop a homeopathic malignant tumor resonant frequency generator and I'll be running the marathon in the 2012 Olympics.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

JasonL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JasonL » 25 Mar 2011, 09:24

J sub D wrote:
JasonL wrote:I've seen a machine that cures cancer by tuning into the resonance frequency of cancer cells, ...
Holy shit, why didn't I see this before I started the radiation and chemo routines? All I need to do is develop a homeopathic malignant tumor resonant frequency generator and I'll be running the marathon in the 2012 Olympics.
I may or may not be related by marriage to someone who ordered the plans online and built such a device in their basement to treat their cat.

Because I would not keep valuable Real Science from fellow grylliaders. I think the "rife machine" is the thing in question. http://www.cancertutor.com/ Cancer03/FreqGenerators.html

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Mar 2011, 10:04

J sub D wrote:
Careful with those resonant frequency generators.

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 25 Mar 2011, 13:00

Pham Nuwen wrote:
J sub D wrote:
Careful with those resonant frequency generators.
I'm more worried about causing a resonance cascade.
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Mar 2011, 13:36

Semi-off-topic: I've had one regular experience with what I guess really is "Resonance frequency." There is/was a Scandinavian death metal band called Opeth, and a few years ago they put out an album called "Damnation" which is apparently quite different from their usual fare; really cool mellow music, and when I'm alone in my car it's one of my favorite "sing-along albums."

(Side note: I've been told by many people that I have a nice singing voice; however, I have an extremely limited range, maybe half an octave if that. However, most of the vocals in "Damnation" fall into that range, which is one reason I like the album so much.)

Anyway, there's one song on the album called "In My Time of Need," which is here on YouTube:

And when I get to the chorus -- "Won't someone watch over me, in my time of NEEEEEE-EEEEEED," I guess my voice perfectly harmonizes (or something) with his on the word "need" (at least the vowel sound in it) because when I sing along -- whether in my car, or just now in my living room -- I can hear/feel this odd vibration in my ears and skull when I get to that word. I only get the vibrations when I sign with him, though; when I sing by myself it doesn't happen.

This hasn't resulted in any spectacular insights on my part, but if I make any discoveries I'll be sure to let you know. I don't know exactly what my octave or pitch is, or what musical note the song is, but I think the extended vowel when he sings "neee-eeed" is about the lowest my voice can go without straining, which might be why I get that weird resonation.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 25 Mar 2011, 14:38

resonance Mythbusters style

My second car had a imbalanced driveshaft. At certain speeds the whole car would vibrate uncomfortably. The solution was to either speed up or slow down.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 Mar 2011, 20:47

Robocop Statue News Update:
The local bird cage liner wrote:"RoboCop" springs eternal, if you look at what's happening lately.

The Web drive for the controversial statue has raised more than $60,000 -- and prompted an online RoboCharity effort that's funneled thousands of dollars more toward Forgotten Harvest and helping feed hungry people.
Detroit City Council member Kenneth Cockrel Jr. summed up the argument against the statue with this tweet: "Though the first movie is great and I'm a sci-fi geek I must say: RoboCop statue + Detroit = DUMBASS IDEA OF THE YEAR."

And then there is this: MGM is developing a "RoboCop" remake that Brazilian filmmaker José Padilha is expected to direct. Where will the revamp be set? According to the Spout blog, Padilha said recently, "It has to be in Detroit or they'd kill me."
Screw Councilman Cockrel. I am now completely onboard (to the tune of $20) the privately funded Robocop statue movement.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2011, 20:52

J sub D wrote:Robocop Statue News Update:
The local bird cage liner wrote:"RoboCop" springs eternal, if you look at what's happening lately.

The Web drive for the controversial statue has raised more than $60,000 -- and prompted an online RoboCharity effort that's funneled thousands of dollars more toward Forgotten Harvest and helping feed hungry people.
Detroit City Council member Kenneth Cockrel Jr. summed up the argument against the statue with this tweet: "Though the first movie is great and I'm a sci-fi geek I must say: RoboCop statue + Detroit = DUMBASS IDEA OF THE YEAR."

And then there is this: MGM is developing a "RoboCop" remake that Brazilian filmmaker José Padilha is expected to direct. Where will the revamp be set? According to the Spout blog, Padilha said recently, "It has to be in Detroit or they'd kill me."
Screw Councilman Cockrel. I am now completely onboard (to the tune of $20) the privately funded Robocop statue movement.
I suppose if the only thing your city has going for it is a fictional self-righteous sociopathic cyborg, you gotta make the most of it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Mar 2011, 20:57

Aresen wrote:I suppose if the only thing your city has going for it is a fictional self-righteous sociopathic cyborg, you gotta make the most of it.
But what about Emine-ah, I see what you did there.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Mar 2011, 20:58

@CouncillorCockerel You forgot to mention that the second movie was also great, asshole.

But I think every great city deserves a statue commemorating its contributions to American culture. If they ever made a movie set in Los Angeles, I would fight tooth and claw to get a statue sculpted in its honor.

EDIT: to make this post a little less great.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Mar 2011, 14:36

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 93563.html

double offs: offs you monsters and offs if this had been a white girl we'd not have heard the end of it yet. it certainly wouldn't mostly be covered in local rags.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JD

Post by JD » 28 Mar 2011, 14:39

Religious tolerance at the TSA: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41959553/ns ... _business/

Short version: if you're a member of a minority religion, like Wicca, don't bother working at the TSA, because if your coworkers make cockamamie accusations (like "she put a hex on my car") you will be expected to address them seriously.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Mar 2011, 14:53

JD wrote:Religious tolerance at the TSA: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41959553/ns ... _business/

Short version: if you're a member of a minority religion, like Wicca, don't bother working at the TSA, because if your coworkers make cockamamie accusations (like "she put a hex on my car") you will be expected to address them seriously.
Well, I will say that tbe first & second level managers did all the ass-covering things one is taught to do in these situations. And fwiw, the first admin judge ruled against her (despite having problems with managements testimony), so there is at least something to the 'other side' of this story.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 28 Mar 2011, 16:32

Kolohe wrote:
JD wrote:Religious tolerance at the TSA: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41959553/ns ... _business/

Well, I will say that tbe first & second level managers did all the ass-covering things one is taught to do in these situations. And fwiw, the first admin judge ruled against her (despite having problems with managements testimony), so there is at least something to the 'other side' of this story.
Yeah, I started thinking along the lines of a hex on both their houses after:
the witchy lady wrote:“It's not up to me to teach her my religion. I mean, would I have to go down and sit with her if I was Jewish?”
Granted, one has every reason to be pessimistic about reasoning with someone who thinks you put a hex on their car heater to make it not work (though come to think of it that might explain certain things in my life...). Still the idea that if you call your unusual belief system a religion then it automatically falls into some box that negates anyone's right to be ignorant or stupid about it is also a tad ridicuous. And seems that while the witchy lady excelled in some ways, she was lax in others (heh, typical "cultural creative"!).

All that said, I'd rather a slightly loopy lady with maybe some entitlement issues be responsible for airport security than someone who believes in supernatural forces under the control of mortals.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Mar 2011, 16:41

fyodor wrote:All that said, I'd rather a slightly loopy lady with maybe some entitlement issues be responsible for airport security than someone who believes in supernatural forces under the control of mortals.
Which one does Janet Napolitano qualify as?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Mar 2011, 16:48

fyodor wrote:Granted, one has every reason to be pessimistic about reasoning with someone who thinks you put a hex on their car heater to make it not work (though come to think of it that might explain certain things in my life...). Still the idea that if you call your unusual belief system a religion then it automatically falls into some box that negates anyone's right to be ignorant or stupid about it is also a tad ridicuous. And seems that while the witchy lady excelled in some ways, she was lax in others (heh, typical "cultural creative"!).

All that said, I'd rather a slightly loopy lady with maybe some entitlement issues be responsible for airport security than someone who believes in supernatural forces under the control of mortals.
That prompts an image of Mike Huckabee as TSA airport scanner operator abruptly beginning to 'speak in tongues' while one's carryon is going through the machine.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Mar 2011, 16:51

fyodor wrote:Yeah, I started thinking along the lines of a hex on both their houses after:
the witchy lady wrote:“It's not up to me to teach her my religion. I mean, would I have to go down and sit with her if I was Jewish?”
Actually, per the article, this same hypothetical was also brought up by the admin judge presiding over the EEO complaint hearing, and the judge (correctly imo) called the management out on that and implied ICMS mediation was not kosher* for that aspect of the case.

*rimshot
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2011, 17:08

fyodor wrote:Yeah, I started thinking along the lines of a hex on both their houses after:
Granted, one has every reason to be pessimistic about reasoning with someone who thinks you put a hex on their car heater to make it not work (though come to think of it that might explain certain things in my life...). Still the idea that if you call your unusual belief system a religion then it automatically falls into some box that negates anyone's right to be ignorant or stupid about it is also a tad ridicuous. And seems that while the witchy lady excelled in some ways, she was lax in others (heh, typical "cultural creative"!).

I would have just said, find me a scale. If I weigh more than a duck, then I can cast hexes. Otherweise, you should be good to go.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Mar 2011, 17:49

Mo wrote:I would have just said, find me a scale. If I weigh more than a duck, then I can cast hexes. Otherweise, you should be good to go.
Is that a European duck or a African duck?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Mar 2011, 19:16

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:I would have just said, find me a scale. If I weigh more than a duck, then I can cast hexes. Otherweise, you should be good to go.
I...I don't know that...

AARRGGHH!!!!!
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 28 Mar 2011, 23:39

thoreau wrote:
Aresen wrote:
I...I don't know that...

AARRGGHH!!!!!
You don't write AARRGGHH, you just say it!
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 29 Mar 2011, 10:03

Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 09 Nov 2011, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 Mar 2011, 22:10

http://www.lgbabyt.com/flirting.html

oh for fuck's sake, really? is it worse to pretend a baby is flirting or to dress your child up like a sanctimonious shithead?

(i like the harvey milk one though)

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Apr 2011, 09:20

http://www.businesswire.
com/news/home/20110331006826/en/Comic-Sans-Pro-Typeface-Family-Debut

Comic Sans gets some cred?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.