OFFS

J sub D

Re: OFFS

Post by J sub D » 17 Mar 2011, 14:01

thoreau wrote:I defer to those who know more about Japan on why they have little/no looting, but when I hear people say (and I'm not thinking about grylliaders) that there would be so much looting in the US under similar circumstances, I wonder: Would there actually be a lot of looting, or would there be a lot of reports of looting, with a few being true, many exaggerated, and many others wholesale fabrications/mistakes due to the confusion?
Based on the crackerjack reporting that came out of post-Katrina New Orleans (rape gangs running wild in the Superdome!!!), I'm going with the latter.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 17 Mar 2011, 14:11

Ayn_Randian wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Awesome:
Do you think that there should maybe be some sort of law that prohibits US news stations from reporting too heavily on foreign issues? Like, in an ideal world, would you just have no idea that there had even been a tsunami because it didn’t happen in America?
Yes. That’s the kind of world I want to live in.
To be fair, I would agree with a professional rule that US news stations not report heavily on foreign issues, usually because they have no fucking clue what they are talking about (even NPR) and they have neither the time, inclination, or attention span to accurately capture the minutiae of any given foreign situation, to the point where it is colored completely differently by the time we see it.
As opposed to their accurate reporting on science issues and domestic disasters?
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 17 Mar 2011, 16:03

peejaybee wrote:If it's Yakuza: The Explosive Account of Japan's Criminal Underworld by Kaplan and Dubro (the link is to the first edition of 1987, it was re-released in 2003) I read it as well.
I'm not sure. I thought the book I read had a "calmer" title. I did read it some time in the 1980s, though. I remember it talked a lot about "on-giri" (or was it just "giri"?). There was also some mention of a "Dark Ocean Society."
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 Mar 2011, 20:06

Kolohe wrote:
Shem wrote:Add to that the standard stigma on certain groups and types of crimes, and you have a recipe for an artificially low crime rate.
Is it really all that 'artificial', though?

My time in Afghanistan has sold me on the basic anarchist* critique that the govt and the mob are not distinguishable on the first order.**

*see also Chomsky's (& Augustine's) emperor vs pirate.

**on the second order, the govt is preferable, as long as there is mechanism design to both limit its power and a peaceful way to change senior management
Vaguely related, I came across the following Charles Bukowski quote earlier today:

“The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting.”

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2011, 22:44

Does anybody have an explanation -- preferably one using simple monosyllabic words to the exclusion of all others -- to reassure somebody who fears the Japanese earthquake was deliberately caused by the US military with its HAARP weather-manipulation machine? :roll:
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Mar 2011, 22:52

Jennifer wrote:Does anybody have an explanation -- preferably one using simple monosyllabic words to the exclusion of all others -- to reassure somebody who fears the Japanese earthquake was deliberately caused by the US military with its HAARP weather-manipulation machine? :roll:
Don't be silly—only China can control the weather.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Mar 2011, 22:55

If he would have had it, Bush would have used it a lot more when he was in charge, not just that one time it was used on the Gulf Coast in oh five.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2011, 22:59

Kolohe wrote:If he would have had it, Bush would have used it a lot more when he was in charge, not just that one time it was used on the Gulf Coast in oh five.
I actually think that might get through to him. Or maybe not -- he's one of those who still lives in the USA even though it has the kind of government that would murder 3,000 of its own citizens on 9/11 and frame someone else for it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Mar 2011, 23:10

Jennifer wrote:Does anybody have an explanation -- preferably one using simple monosyllabic words to the exclusion of all others -- to reassure somebody who fears the Japanese earthquake was deliberately caused by the US military with its HAARP weather-manipulation machine? :roll:
That's Fuck Ing Stu Pid.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2011, 23:38

lunchstealer wrote:
That's Fuck Ing Stu Pid.
Which is why I requested simple monosyllabic words to the exclusion of all others. You know that's not my usual style.

Apparently it has something to do with Obama not wanting the Japanese to cozy up to China too much. So if we trash them with a tsunami they'll -- um -- stop wanting to develop better relationships with their immediate neighbors, I guess. I already tried asking just how "electrifying the ionosphere" was supposed to shift the tectonic plates in a subduction zone, and turns out it''s because sometimes, before volcanoes and earthquakes there are electrical discharges into the atmosphere so maybe it works in reverse.

EDIT: And I just Googled "US military caused Japan earthquake" and what small shreds of faith I once had in humanity are gone.
Last edited by Jennifer on 18 Mar 2011, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Mar 2011, 23:41

Yeah, an overly-friendly relationship has always been the problem with Japan and China.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Mar 2011, 00:00

Jennifer wrote:EDIT: And I just Googled "US military caused Japan earthquake" and what small shreds of faith I once had in humanity are gone.
OTOH, I just did the same and my faith in the ability of humans to believe absolutely anything has once again been reaffirmed. :lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Mar 2011, 00:07

Any explanation yet why we sent the Tsunami to hit Indonesia in 2004? A test run, maybe?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Mar 2011, 00:17

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Any explanation yet why we sent the Tsunami to hit Indonesia in 2004? A test run, maybe?
Irawq.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 19 Mar 2011, 02:19

If they believe that, it shouldn't be too hard to convince them of whatever it is you want them to believe.
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Mar 2011, 11:40

isn't the simplest one "earthquake ain't weather"?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Mar 2011, 11:59

dhex wrote:isn't the simplest one "earthquake ain't weather"?
The pseudo science of HAARP holds that the HF radio waves aimed at the ionosphere induce ELF EM waves (which is true), which then in turn induce resonance in tectonic plates in the 0.5-5 Hz range (which is not).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Mar 2011, 13:23

ahh well. at least steel still don't melt.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2011, 13:53

I've lost interest in trying to calm the guy down. You can't reason with crazy. So, fine: the US military made the tsunami, and the US government brought down the World Trade Center, and the US government is gonna keep disappearing people who Get In Their Way, and it's just really damned lucky they haven't yet got around to disappearing the bloggers and activists who have exposed these enormous crimes and haven't even bothered removing themselves from American soil first.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2011, 16:42

Also, for some reason the military never figured its earthquake machine might be useful in Iraq or Afghanistan or countries where we are actually fighting wars of occupation; we just used it against our allies.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Mar 2011, 18:52

Protip - "resonance frequency / harmonics" is the preferred "Booga booga, science!" mechanism for both conspiracy nuts and magic device rip off artists (quantum mechanics is the booga booga science behind the universe gives you free shit, but if you have to build a device, 10-1 says it relies on harmonics). I've seen a machine that cures cancer by tuning into the resonance frequency of cancer cells, mind control devices that tune in to the resonance frequency of neurons, earthquake destroyer superweapons that tune into the harmonic frequencies of buildings, bridges, and dams and on and on.

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Mar 2011, 18:56

isn't that the idea behind therapeutic ultrasound techniques? (one of our guys does a minimally invasive kidney stone and cyst blammo routine with very high freq ultrasound)

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Mar 2011, 21:20

dhex wrote:isn't that the idea behind therapeutic ultrasound techniques? (one of our guys does a minimally invasive kidney stone and cyst blammo routine with very high freq ultrasound)
Yes. The fallacy is usually something along the lines of it works for kidney stones or for a single cell in highly controlled situations, therefore magic death mindcontrol earthquake weapon.

JD

Post by JD » 21 Mar 2011, 14:20

Oh NYPD, is there anything you don't try to stop people from doing? (I mean, other than police officers raping women, which you don't seem interested in stopping.) If Hindus want to celebrate Holi by throwing colored talcum powder, don't make up some bogus "no powders" law...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Mar 2011, 15:15

like they haven't been doing that in south ozone park for years (when i lived there in the late 90s it was the most awesome time i ever had in queens; i went looking for roti and ended up looking like i'd taken a bath in someone else's acid dream).

unrelated:
http://jezebel.com/#!5784031/parents-wa ... ed-testing

yes, i know the source and all that, but the notion that smart kids with good parents are going to make things worse for the kids who are less than that (weird in and of itself) is kinda...totally fucked?