Drupal Rules! phpBB Droolz! lol

thoreau

Re: Drupal Rules! phpBB Droolz! lol

Post by thoreau » 24 Jul 2010, 16:55

When I try to view this site on my Blackberry, the little orange squares indicating new threads aren't showing. It was working fine until yesterday.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 26 Jul 2010, 02:10

Speaking of viewing on a phone, my biggest complaint about the new phpBB is that instead of "42 new posts" showing as a link next to the thread title, now there's just a small, teensy, tiny box. On the iphone, I have to zoom in a huge amount to be able to click on it accurately, whereas in the olden days the link was just as big as any other link. Also, you can't tell how many new posts there are. Which isn't mission critical, but it was nice to know when clicking, if you're in for a quickie or if you need to make sure you have time to read 200 posts.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 26 Jul 2010, 02:37

Dead_elvis: I feel like that last one is made up for by the fact that it keeps track of how far you've read, now. In Drupal once you opened a thread it was marked as open. In this if you don't read the last page the "new posts" will send you to it.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jul 2010, 07:55

Turns out the problem was my own dumb fault. The phone forgot my login. Doh.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Aug 2010, 00:21

Is the last site available yet? I'd check myself, except I don't remember what the address for it is. There was a backslash-drupal in it somewhere, I think.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

grylliade

Post by grylliade » 24 Sep 2010, 16:51

Jennifer wrote:Is the last site available yet? I'd check myself, except I don't remember what the address for it is. There was a backslash-drupal in it somewhere, I think.
Okay, it is now available. I forgot to put the .htaccess file in the new directory -- d'oh! I'm still getting some weird database errors, but I'm not so worried about them; I'm disabling posting and new registrations on the old boards, so I'll have time to find the problems with the database. The old site can be found at drupal. And it's a forward slash; thank God for rational people designing the web, so you don't have to go all the way over to the stupid backslash when you type in a URL. At least Windows recognizes forward slashes in filename paths now, at least in the PowerShell.
--
David L. Watkins
TANSTAAFL

v4sw4/5CRYhw5ln4/6pr5/6ck3ma7u6Lw6VWm5l6/7Gi5Ce5t6MSXb8HILOPSTen5a3Xs5IMr4p4/-5g6ACMPRS
hackerkey.com

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 24 Sep 2010, 17:03

grylliade wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Is the last site available yet? I'd check myself, except I don't remember what the address for it is. There was a backslash-drupal in it somewhere, I think.
Okay, it is now available. I forgot to put the .htaccess file in the new directory -- d'oh! I'm still getting some weird database errors, but I'm not so worried about them; I'm disabling posting and new registrations on the old boards, so I'll have time to find the problems with the database. The old site can be found at drupal. And it's a forward slash; thank God for rational people designing the web, so you don't have to go all the way over to the stupid backslash when you type in a URL. At least Windows recognizes forward slashes in filename paths now, at least in the PowerShell.
Thanks.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Sep 2010, 17:37

grylliade wrote:
Honestly, I want to claim that this sole fact is the reason I find emacs so much more uncomfortable in Windows than in Linux. Well, that and the god-awful multiword directory names.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Sep 2010, 17:44

That's been interesting to deal with as I teach myself emacs in Windows...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2010, 11:45

It's an interesting example of how very small design choices can have far-reaching influences. One random programmer decides to use the slash instead of the dash for options to commands in his newly written command shell (like "mycommand /a" instead of "mycommand -a"), so then, when he adds subdirectories to his OS, he can't use the slash as a path separator because it's already taken, so he uses backslash instead. And here I am, 30 years later, trying to explain over the phone to a user the difference between slash and backslash and why it matters.

Norbert Wronkletoad

Post by Norbert Wronkletoad » 18 Nov 2010, 11:26

passersby were amazed by the tremendous quantities of fecal matter
Last edited by Norbert Wronkletoad on 30 Dec 2011, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
passersby were amazed by the tremendous quantities of fecal matter

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Nov 2010, 12:16

Norbert Wronkletoad wrote:on the "visitors in the past five minutes" place on the login page, it says, "Baidu [Spider]".

oh the webs we weave. and it'll leave totally confused.
Oh shit, the ChiComs have made us!
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 14 Dec 2010, 15:03

All of a sudden I'm not get the info on whether or not there's new posts in a thread!?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 09 Jun 2011, 16:57

I've noticed that both of the two previous incarnations of Grylliade Dot Org have been offline for the past couple of weeks.

Not exactly an emergency, but it means we can't search/Google old posts if we have a mind to do such a thing.

For example, see what happens when you Google "not going to Pho Cue" and click on the results. (Re first version of the site.)

Then do the same thing with "I gladly dragged my balls 400 miles" (Re 2nd version of the site.)
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Jun 2011, 20:12

Stevo, it says much that you have committed both of those phrases to memory and know which incarnation of the site it was.

Says much..
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Jul 2011, 16:57

I'm sure this has been noted here before but I can't be bothered to read through all 9 pages of fluff.

Nifty feature. I just wrote out a response to a person, in the interim the thread had updated. When I hit "Submit" it refused to do so by posting the new post (not mine) at the top of the page for review. Below it was my post in the edit box. Another tap on "Submit" and it was posted.

Kind of nift that it, in essence, says, "Hey! The thread has changed. Read the changes before you embarrass yourself further."
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Jul 2011, 17:01

Kwix -- that feature was one of the big reasons I pushed hard for moving from Drupal to phpBB. I love that.

(The other feature was that if you click "reply to thread," you'll get a reply box with the most recent 15 or so posts below it. You can highlight part of a post, click the quote button on that post, and get only the highlighted portion formatted for quote in the reply box.)
Stevo Darkly wrote:I've noticed that both of the two previous incarnations of Grylliade Dot Org have been offline for the past couple of weeks.
Should be fixed now -- let me know if you're still having trouble.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Jul 2011, 17:14

Ellie wrote:Kwix -- that feature was one of the big reasons I pushed hard for moving from Drupal to phpBB. I love that.

(The other feature was that if you click "reply to thread," you'll get a reply box with the most recent 15 or so posts below it. You can highlight part of a post, click the quote button on that post, and get only the highlighted portion formatted for quote in the reply box.)
I have used that feature to great benefit, particularly when, just as you did, you want to quote multiple individuals in the same post. This was the first time I had run across the "thread update" thing and it threw me for a loop because I thought I had accidentally hit "Preview" instead of "Submit".

Zulu as Kono

Post by Zulu as Kono » 11 Jun 2013, 14:28

When I view this site on Firefox 21.0 all I see is stupid shit.
Should I switch to Chrome?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Jun 2013, 14:31

This post was made by Zulu as Kono who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
Haha!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2013, 14:46

As long as we're here. I hate not being able to search my PMs. Not that expect anything to be done about it.

EDIT
And another thing; In addition to not being able to one-click to the list of threads sorted by most recent comment, I want a direct link to the last comment in the thread.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2013, 14:51

Warren wrote:As long as we're here. I hate not being able to search my PMs. Not that expect anything to be done about it.

EDIT
And another thing; In addition to not being able to one-click to the list of threads sorted by most recent comment, I want a direct link to the last comment in the thread.
Isn't there a link to the last comment in the thread? Next to the name of the last poster there's a little page w/ arrow. That goes to the last post in a thread. I'm using prosilver theme, so if you have a different theme, it might be different.

Edit: also on prosilver, there are links on the board index (if you just go to grylliade.org/index.php, the landing page and also what you get by clicking the logo at the top) that say "View unanswered posts" "View unread posts" "View new posts" and "View active topics". Each one will give you a list of threads ordered by the most recent comment time.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2013, 15:04

Hey thanks Highway :)
All these years I never figured that out. Or maybe I did at some point. When you get to my age the first thing to go is putting. You might lose a few yards on your drive, but as long as you keep it in the fairway, you're still ahead of the game. I remember this one time we were teeing off at Cherry Hill. We had a foursome of me and Bill and uh... a couple of other guys and we umm...
What the hell was I talking about?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Zulu as Kono

Post by Zulu as Kono » 11 Jun 2013, 15:08

Warren wrote: What the hell was I talking about?
You were complaining about not having a pony. And it was riveting. Please continue.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2013, 15:19

Zulu as Kono wrote:
Warren wrote: What the hell was I talking about?
You were complaining about not having a pony. And it was riveting. Please continue.
Oh Right. So there I was standing out
HEY! YOU KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN
THIS SPACE FOR RENT