Groping Resistance - Pfft.

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Groping Resistance - Pfft.

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Feb 2014, 18:09

How well does it work if you try to convert the border patrol agent to Islam?

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 May 2014, 20:46

The TSA has been testing an approach called "managed inclusion" which uses behavior-detection agents, bomb-sniffing dogs, and an application that randomly assigns you to either the normal security lane or the precheck lane where you can have your rights violated in half the time.

If you're not limiting the precheck lanes to people who have signed up for the precheck program, aren't you basically admitting that the whole background check rigamarole is basically bullshit?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 May 2014, 20:51

Not to mention dicking the people who pay for Pre.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 May 2014, 21:00

nicole wrote:Not to mention dicking the people who pay for Pre.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 May 2014, 21:46

I think they're fools, but it's still more BS
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 May 2014, 22:00

They've let people with high status on Pre for a while based on seeing unsuspicious travel patterns
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 May 2014, 09:11

We never had to pay. Now that wife is home, we'll see if that sticks.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 May 2014, 12:28

I'll be amused and perturbed if this program isn't stopped or reformed, but just collapses out of fatigue.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD » 27 May 2014, 15:25

Now they can resist groping in the Beijing subway too:
"This week brought a new woe: airport-style security at some subway stations, which created massive lines and long waits to get on trains in the first place."
http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/05/h ... ay/371611/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 02 Jun 2014, 17:15

Now here I do wonder how effective an environmentalism appeal would be. Look at what security does to the planet -- more people are going to drive cars!
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jun 2014, 17:21

Ayn_Randian wrote:Now here I do wonder how effective an environmentalism appeal would be. Look at what security does to the planet -- more people are going to drive cars!
And cars cause more fatalities per passenger-mile than aircraft do, even with terrorism. So we're killing people and killing the planet for security!

But no, it won't work because humans can't handle risk assessment for big spectacular rare things, the environmentalists will just respond by saying, 'more security AND more taxes on cars!' Or worse, checkpoints on highways to stop terrorists and drug runners and also to make long lines in the highways at state borders so cars are as inconvenient as air travel.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Jun 2014, 13:01

I was trying to find out what the procedure is for going through airport security with a babe in arms (after having visions of being forced to hand Admin Baby off to a TSA agent or something horrible) and learned this important fact from tsa.gov:
Passengers cannot leave babies in an infant carrier and attempt to put it through the X-ray machine.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 09 Jun 2014, 13:26

Ellie wrote:I was trying to find out what the procedure is for going through airport security with a babe in arms (after having visions of being forced to hand Admin Baby off to a TSA agent or something horrible) and learned this important fact from tsa.gov:
Passengers cannot leave babies in an infant carrier and attempt to put it through the X-ray machine.
So much for free medical care.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Jun 2014, 13:35

GinSlinger wrote:
Ellie wrote:I was trying to find out what the procedure is for going through airport security with a babe in arms (after having visions of being forced to hand Admin Baby off to a TSA agent or something horrible) and learned this important fact from tsa.gov:
So much for free medical care.
Thanks Obama!

JD

Post by JD » 12 Jun 2014, 10:28

On one of my recent trips, I went through the hands-up scanner, and then the TSA guy wanted to feel up my armpits. Rarely have I ever encountered a clearer example of "policy requires us to randomly search a certain percent of people". I was wearing a lightweight, fitted, short-sleeved shirt with nothing underneath it, and I had just gone through the scanner; there is no way I could have realistically been carrying anything in my armpits.

Then the TSA staff at the X-ray machine pulled my bag aside. The staffer there asked me if there was anything sharp in my bag, and then opened it. She pulled out my safety razor and had me take out the blade and dispose of it, after which I went on my way...with the package of ten more razor blades which they completely missed.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Jun 2014, 10:43

JD wrote:On one of my recent trips, I went through the hands-up scanner, and then the TSA guy wanted to feel up my armpits. Rarely have I ever encountered a clearer example of "policy requires us to randomly search a certain percent of people". I was wearing a lightweight, fitted, short-sleeved shirt with nothing underneath it, and I had just gone through the scanner; there is no way I could have realistically been carrying anything in my armpits.

Then the TSA staff at the X-ray machine pulled my bag aside. The staffer there asked me if there was anything sharp in my bag, and then opened it. She pulled out my safety razor and had me take out the blade and dispose of it, after which I went on my way...with the package of ten more razor blades which they completely missed.
A guy I know flew to Germany with a .308 round in his bag that he had inadvertently left there. The Germans found it on the return flight and took it from him. Our fabulous TSA missed it entirely.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 12 Jun 2014, 11:35

I made three or four round trips out of DTW with a pocket knife in my kit. When a DTW agent finally found it she acted as though she had just caught bin Laden.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jun 2014, 12:45

did the knife have a picture of bin laden on it? because in that case it would mean she kinda did.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Jun 2014, 15:06

Every once in awhile, I'll think "Maybe I should lighten up and fly again; I know Jeff would be happier if we could fly on vacations and stuff," and then I read anecdotes such as the most recent ones here and I realize I could never do it. I would have been arrested, or at least punished via being forced to miss my flight -- not even for assault or threats or anything that might remotely count as badassery, not even for "obscene" language, most likely just for lese majeste -- I could possibly put up with some useless dumbass fondling my armpits, but I could not go along with the polite fiction that this is anything other than a worthless dumbass fondling my armpits. At the very least, I'm sure I'd have been angry enough to ask if he/she really expected to find anything dangerous in there, or just enjoys the clammy feel of strangers' armpits in the summer.

(Note to self: if I do fly under TSA regimes, especially in hot humid weather, do not use antiperspirant. Two people will be involved in any TSA encounter; damned if I'll be the only one revolted by it.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2014, 16:58

Better charge your cellphone before flying to America.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... s-us-bound
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Groping Resistance - Pfft.

Post by Mo » 06 Jul 2014, 20:22

Good thing no one would be smart enough to develop a fake lock screen to pretend it's a working device.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Jul 2014, 21:10

I am almost certain that "turning on your electronic device" has been a thing.since I was flying regularly over 10 years ago. (Drtfa past the headline and lede)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2014, 22:04

Kolohe wrote:I am almost certain that "turning on your electronic device" has been a thing.since I was flying regularly over 10 years ago. (Drtfa past the headline and lede)
I was flying regularly over 20 years ago and it was a thing then.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jul 2014, 22:10

That was the rule for laptops in pre-911 air travel.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 06 Jul 2014, 22:21

The scientific advisory committee keeps trying to get the FAA to nix that "keep shit off until X time" nonsense, but much like the FDA and birth control, science has no place in policy.

Also, when will our allies stop letting us dictate to them what they have to do in their airports? Why the fuck should we get to tell Belgium how to run airport security?
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper