Groping Resistance - Pfft.

Warren

Re: Groping Resistance - Pfft.

Post by Warren » 20 Feb 2016, 19:44

D.A. Ridgely wrote:However, my best guess is that any serious movement to replace TSA flunkies en masse will result in a federal mandate to keep them there. They're a big part of Homeland Security's rice bowl, and you're only as important in Washington as the size of your budget. Plus, government's gotta govern.
I suspect you're right. The TSA was designed to create civil service union jobs more than airline security.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Feb 2017, 16:49

Eleven people boarded their planes at JFK without being screened by the TSA.
Three of the 11 were later identified through video and were believed to have boarded a flight to California, where they were to be screened upon arrival, the Port Authority said. The eight other passengers remained unidentified, it said.

The TSA said all of the passengers' carry-on bags were screened and passed by a K9 team. As a result, the agency said, it's "confident" that the incident "presents minimal risk to the aviation transportation system."
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Feb 2017, 17:51

Hugh Akston wrote:Eleven people boarded their planes at JFK without being screened by the TSA.
Three of the 11 were later identified through video and were believed to have boarded a flight to California, where they were to be screened upon arrival, the Port Authority said. The eight other passengers remained unidentified, it said.

The TSA said all of the passengers' carry-on bags were screened and passed by a K9 team. As a result, the agency said, it's "confident" that the incident "presents minimal risk to the aviation transportation system."
"Shit! Quick, make up some statement that minimizes these particular risks, so noone will start thinking that we're not necessary"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Feb 2017, 17:54

What the fuck is the point of screening on arrival? "We decided they wouldn't take the plane down"
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Feb 2017, 17:55

Highway wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Eleven people boarded their planes at JFK without being screened by the TSA.

"Shit! Quick, make up some statement that minimizes these particular risks, so noone will start thinking that we're not necessary"
Why the fuck were the three screened in CA? Does TSA have the FYTW authority over the whole damned airport?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Feb 2017, 17:59

"Screening on arrival" is the "We can't let anyone think that someone can get away without being harrassed, or the whole thing will collapse around us." There's a significant number of people (idiots) who think that the stupid rigamarole is "ok because everyone has to do it." Start letting anyone get away without the hassle, and that falls apart.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Feb 2017, 22:05

If I had to invent a figleaf justification it would be "To confiscate any contraband that they might have in the secure area, lest they pass it to someone else."

Never mind that if they had smuggled something in for nefarious purposes there would be plenty of ways to hide it in the secure area before being screened.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Feb 2017, 00:13

thoreau wrote:If I had to invent a figleaf justification it would be "To confiscate any contraband that they might have in the secure area, lest they pass it to someone else."

Never mind that if they had smuggled something in for nefarious purposes there would be plenty of ways to hide it in the secure area before being screened.
I have to assume that by "secure area" you mean "rectum".
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Feb 2017, 03:05

Muslim travelers are advised to carry an additional form of identification when they fly:
The son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained for hours by immigration officials earlier this month at a Florida airport, according to a family friend.

Muhammad Ali Jr., 44, and his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali, the first wife of Muhammad Ali, were arriving at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Feb. 7 after returning from speaking at a Black History Month event in Montego Bay, Jamaica. They were pulled aside while going through customs because of their Arabic-sounding names, according to family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini.

Immigration officials let Camacho-Ali go after she showed them a photo of herself with her ex-husband, but her son did not have such a photo and wasn't as lucky. Mancini said officials held and questioned Ali Jr. for nearly two hours, repeatedly asking him, "Where did you get your name from?" and "Are you Muslim?"

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Feb 2017, 03:38

Now the fuckers have started imposing retina scans as well.

When Americans (for the most part) agreed to let themselves and their kids have their genitals fondled and/or pose for nude-scan photography as a prerequisite for going on vacation in their own country, that let the powers that be know they'd put up with almost anything. Goddammit. I need to quit paying attention to news at this hour--it's not good getting all pissed off just before I'll be trying to get to sleep. Fuck.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 28 Mar 2017, 14:20

TSA might be the perfect job for pedophiles?
http://fusion.net/story/394006/tsa-patd ... ort-worth/

That was hard to watch.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JD

Post by JD » 29 Mar 2017, 17:37

“TSA did not set any specific size/dimensions,” a Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman told Quartz in an email. “Airlines are to use the approximate size of a cell phone/smart phone as a guideline for determining whether an item is allowed in a carry-on bag.”
(https://qz.com/944523/samsungs-005930-n ... airplanes/)

Oh, so every airline staffer/TSA agent gets to determine what device is allowed and what's not. No potential for rage-inducing arbitrariness there!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Jun 2017, 12:38

Hmm, what books to bring on my next trip...
Federal airport security officials have begun asking travelers to take books and food out of their carry-on luggage, prompting some fliers to complain about a further invasion of the limited privacy they have left at checkpoints.

Transportation Security Administration officials say they are taking the steps on a test basis at a handful of airports nationally mainly because carry-on bags are getting so stuffed that screening agents at x-ray machines are have a hard time seeing what’s in the bags.

Some everyday items, including books and magazines, can look similar to explosives when going through the X-ray machine, federal security officials said. Screeners may “fan” through books to see if anything is hidden, TSA official Carrie Harmon said, but Harmon said screeners are not checking to see what people are reading.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article153673544.html
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Jun 2017, 12:46

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Jun 2017, 13:05

I was thinking more along these lines

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Jun 2017, 13:09

How do you remove something from your Amazon history?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Jun 2017, 15:51

"The Big Illustrated Book of Dick Infections"
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jun 2017, 19:35

C'mon guys, grow a pair.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Jun 2017, 21:01

Warren wrote:C'mon guys, grow a pair.
That hasn't been risky since I was reading it on a WinNT PC in my school library.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 01 Jun 2017, 21:47

I bought my copy at the Main PX at Ft. Bragg. Government-disseminated, so it must be government-approved!

Probably doesn't work with an M-4 when you try to carry it on, either.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jun 2017, 22:06

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2017, 00:47

Ellie wrote:"The Big Illustrated Book of Dick Infections"
Wait, I mean "The Big Illustrated Book of Dick Infections" but encased in the cover jacket for "The Tasteful Illustrated Book of the Kama Sutra" just to make sure they flip through it.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jun 2017, 06:45

Ellie wrote:
Ellie wrote:"The Big Illustrated Book of Dick Infections"
Wait, I mean "The Big Illustrated Book of Dick Infections" but encased in the cover jacket for "The Tasteful Illustrated Book of the Kama Sutra" just to make sure they flip through it.
Winner

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jun 2017, 10:26

Ugh the dreaded Real ID deadline is upon we denizens of KY. Starting June 6 our drivers licences will not suffice to get us on an airplane. Have to use passport or something like global entry card. I have precheck but not global entry so I don't get a card so it's Let Me See Your Papers all up in here.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Jun 2017, 12:15

JasonL wrote:Ugh the dreaded Real ID deadline is upon we denizens of KY. Starting June 6 our drivers licences will not suffice to get us on an airplane. Have to use passport or something like global entry card. I have precheck but not global entry so I don't get a card so it's Let Me See Your Papers all up in here.
I thought it was Jan 2018 for flights.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren