Groping Resistance - Pfft.

dead_elvis

Re: Groping Resistance - Pfft.

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Feb 2019, 11:39

I seem to recall that the 2010 census was funded through "emergency" funding. Even though we've known for over 200 years we would have to budget for that.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Feb 2019, 23:26

dead_elvis wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 11:39
I seem to recall that the 2010 census was funded through "emergency" funding. Even though we've known for over 200 years we would have to budget for that.
Heh. I remember when we use to budget for stuff or, you know, have a budget. What a quaint simple people we once were.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 02 Feb 2019, 06:04

Damn, you're old.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Feb 2019, 13:42

Congressional budgets were kind of polite fictions anyway, weren't they? What was the penalty for going overbudget?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2019, 13:48

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 13:42
Congressional budgets were kind of polite fictions anyway, weren't they? What was the penalty for going overbudget?
Penalty? No it was more a a reward. They got more money to spend. But the budget process was a fun little dance the Congress did where they called each other names and made speeches about what the national priorities should be.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 01 Mar 2019, 16:35

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Mar 2019, 17:49

I do have to raise a glass to her determination.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 Mar 2019, 10:38

She's just trying to have it all! /Liz Lemon

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Apr 2019, 16:40

TSA scanners are more likely to return false positives on black or overweight passengers
More specifically, the report, by Brenda Medina and Thomas Frank, indicates that certain hairstyles common with members of the African American community such as afros, braids, and dreadlocks, tend to set off false alarms.
The story cites a 2014 report by the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) that indicates the scanners also "had a higher false alarm rate when passengers wore turbans and wigs."
"The false alarm rate for passengers with a normal Body Mass Index was less than the false alarm rates for overweight and obese passengers," The GAO report said.
Love the button on this story
According to the GAO report, the TSA did not include the rate of false alarms as a key performance requirement when it evaluated which scanning system to deploy. However, the agency did admit in the report that "systems' current false alarm rate could produce an increase in annual staffing costs in the field."
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 21 Apr 2019, 06:20

Every fucking time. "We fucked up, so we're going to need more money."

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Apr 2019, 09:56

Tuco wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 06:20
Every fucking time. "We fucked up, so we're going to need more money."
Don't bother wrapping it up, I'll just wear it out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Apr 2019, 15:43

If I had the courage -- and also the requisite amount of "not giving a damn about the sensibilities of anyone in smell-range of me" -- I would be tempted to buy round-trip tickets and fly somewhere ... in the summertime. After about three weeks of not-bathing. If snagging your fingers in my snarled salt-encrusted hair makes you feel like you're doing something useful with our life, go nuts, honey!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 22 Apr 2019, 06:24

Go for it. Bathing's overrated anyway.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jul 2019, 18:40

Something I hadn't thought of. Now, I want to do something I saw in a long-gone Saville Row cutter's blog—get a bespoke suit made out of sequin cloth—if I ever fly again under the TSA regime.

Maybe really flashy sequin boxers, too, if they make me take that off.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jul 2019, 10:40

Texas man checks missile launcher in luggage, still caught his flight, TSA says: The TSA stopped a man who was trying to bring a missile launcher on a plane as checked baggage. He said he was active duty military, returning from Kuwait, and wanted to keep it "as a souvenir".

...except that if you actually read the whole story, buried near the end is "The TSA said that the device was not live and was turned over to state fire officials for disposal". So this would be better described as "TSA detains man who is carrying something that is not an actual missile launcher, and state fire officials destroyed something completely harmless." (Can anyone tell if this was a training dummy, an already-expended launcher, or just a carrying case? The news, of course, is of no help.) I'm not saying the guy was smart to bring it on, or even that he should have been allowed to, but the TSA is trumpeting complete non-news, and the news media is uncritically helping them.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 30 Jul 2019, 13:26

First of all, military weapons are allowed in checked baggage. There's paperwork involved, and something like a missile launcher, which would have an explosive component, would not be allowed on a commercial flight. But people deploy with personal weapons all the time, and do send them via checked luggage.
I can't tell what the object actually is, but it doesn't even look like a launcher. First off, it's not big enough. Second, it looks like the case something else came in. While I'm not up on what the Army has these days, it doesn't look like any missile launcher I've encountered or even heard about.
The news story is disgusting. Journalists are supposed to ask questions, not just puke back what some PR flak has handed them. Yes, even TV "news."
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 30 Jul 2019, 13:43

It looks like a spent (empty, used) case from a TOW missile, or similar system. They are loaded onto launch platforms, then discarded like a spent shell casing once the missile is fired. So, no more harmful or dangerous than a used case from a rifle or such, but it's probably completely coated in a bunch of chemicals that set off all kinds of explosive detectors.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 30 Jul 2019, 13:47

Dangerman wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 13:43
It looks like a spent (empty, used) case from a TOW missile, or similar system. They are loaded onto launch platforms, then discarded like a spent shell casing once the missile is fired. So, no more harmful or dangerous than a used case from a rifle or such, but it's probably completely coated in a bunch of chemicals that set off all kinds of explosive detectors.
If the TOW is roughly the size of the AT4 (the tank killer I'm familiar with), then that case doesn't look large enough. Those are roughly 4 feet long, IIRC, and the object looks a little smaller than that. I'll happily stipulate that I could be wrong. I'm not, however, wrong in being certain that whatever the hell that is, it's not dangerous and it's not in any meaningful sense a missile launcher, any more than the tube left after a roman candle has been shot off is a firework.

ETA: An image search (hello, FBI friends) suggests that the TOW is way too big. It might be an AT4, but is so, it's only part of one.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 30 Jul 2019, 13:50

That case is halved, you can see the other half in the right side of the picture. IIRC they break down. TOW is now a class of weapon, you can see the man portable units being used in videos from Syria and a person can easily carry one. The oldest generation were vehicle mounted and larger I think.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 30 Jul 2019, 13:53

Dangerman wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 13:50
That case is halved, you can see the other half in the right side of the picture. IIRC they break down. TOW is now a class of weapon, you can see the man portable units being used in videos from Syria and a person can easily carry one. The oldest generation were vehicle mounted and larger I think.
Sure, I noticed the second half. But do the TOW cases even break down like that? TBH, I'm seen them from a distance, but have almost no familiarity with that weapons system. I'm still steadfast that not only is it not a missile launcher, it's obviously not a missile launcher. What's more the TSA knows damn well it's not a missile launcher, and did at the time, since they let him on the plane.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 30 Jul 2019, 14:11

I don't know for sure if they break down, and I agree that it's obviously not what they said it was. I'll also defer to both your experience and the fact that you did a search while I'm going off of memory of videos and stuff.