When life gives you Yemens

Hugh Akston

When life gives you Yemens

Post by Hugh Akston »

...you give Yemen Aid.

The only good thing in this article is that no-one mentions the word "invasion."

But there are these gems:
CNN wrote:Officials describe the plan, which will be run by DHS but paid for by the State Department, as a program to train, equip and assist Yemen with aviation and maritime security in a more effective way.
CNN wrote:As part of the plan, TSA will have a long-term presence in Yemen for the next few years, the officials said. In addition to providing more equipment and coaching of Yemeni authorities on how to screen cargo, the U.S. personnel will also be working with the Yemen's interior ministry to vet new hires.
CNN wrote:However, any decision to pursue such an action would most likely require the approval of Yemen's president, who this past weekend indicated his country would not accept foreign intervention in tracking down al Qaeda.
CNN wrote:There is also concern that Yemen President Ali Abdullah Saleh will use U.S. weapons against his political enemies and further destabilize the country.
Like that's ever happened before.

The money quote:
CNN wrote:Officials warn that unless the United States helps develop Yemen, the country risks becoming a failed state, which would allow Al Qaeda to operate with complete impunity.
Because our previous efforts at nationbuilding have been such rousing successes.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

J sub D

Re: When life gives you Yemens

Post by J sub D »

Hugh Akston wrote:The money quote:
CNN wrote:Officials warn that unless the United States helps develop Yemen, the country risks becoming a failed state, which would allow Al Qaeda to operate with complete impunity.
Because our previous efforts at nationbuilding have been such rousing successes.
As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, I just can't let that go by without a little reality check.

Dear CNN,
This may come as shock to you but I must point out that Yemen has been a failed state for years.
R/
J sub D
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Doesn't "failed" more or less entail a time prior to failure?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

And in it's current incaration as a state, it's younger than any poster here.

But apparently it was the shiznit during the heyday of the spice trade, and has one of the oldest continuously inhabitted cities in the world.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

J sub D

Post by J sub D »

Kolohe wrote:And in it's current incaration as a state, it's younger than any poster here.

But apparently it was the shiznit during the heyday of the spice trade, and has one of the oldest continuously inhabitted cities in the world.
Grylliade trivia - I received a Navy Expedionary Medal* for steaming back and forth off the coast during the North Yemen vs South Yemen civil war.

* It is one of those "showed up for work" medals.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo »

Kolohe wrote:But apparently it was the shiznit during the heyday of the spice trade, and has one of the oldest continuously inhabitted cities in the world.
Desert nation. Large spice trade. Arabic speaking desert folk. Are we sure Yemen isn't actually Arrakis?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

"When life gives you Yemens" is even better than my pun of "Yemenemies."
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:"When life gives you Yemens" is even better than my pun of "Yemenemies."
So it is, now that Yemention it.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
thoreau wrote:"When life gives you Yemens" is even better than my pun of "Yemenemies."
So it is, now that Yemention it.
And DAR with the layup.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Listen up haters! If you thought this whole War on Terriers was just a scare tactic/payoff to the military-industrial complex, and that deploying the TSA to Yemen was the dumbest shit ever, I have some bad news for you: they just got one!

They have quotes from unnamed intelligence officials, sitting members of Congress saying what a badass this guy was, and even a scary picture of a brown guy in a high-collared shirt. Are they gonna tell you the name of the guy they got? How about where they're keeping him or what they're doing to him? Maybe when the war is over, plebes! Is the media even gonna ask? Not if they want to keep getting DoD press releases on their fax machine!

Bu trust us, this whole never war on everything is totes justified, just like we said before! Why would we lie? So the next time you go to the airport, you can bend over and spread 'em with a smile, knowing that the firm, sanitized finger of freedom is always probing for threats to American security!

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, said...
I still can't believe that an active IRA supporter chairs the Homeland Security Committee.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

thoreau wrote:
Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, said...
I still can't believe that an active IRA supporter chairs the Homeland Security Committee.
+10^9
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Hugh Akston wrote:Listen up haters! If you thought this whole War on Terriers was just a scare tactic/payoff to the military-industrial complex, and that deploying the TSA to Yemen was the dumbest shit ever, I have some bad news for you: they just got one!

They have quotes from unnamed intelligence officials, sitting members of Congress saying what a badass this guy was, and even a scary picture of a brown guy in a high-collared shirt. Are they gonna tell you the name of the guy they got? How about where they're keeping him or what they're doing to him? Maybe when the war is over, plebes! Is the media even gonna ask? Not if they want to keep getting DoD press releases on their fax machine!

Bu trust us, this whole never war on everything is totes justified, just like we said before! Why would we lie? So the next time you go to the airport, you can bend over and spread 'em with a smile, knowing that the firm, sanitized finger of freedom is always probing for threats to American security!
Catching that guy in Yemen totally justifies spying on all Americans!
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I know, I know, zombie thread. But I hate to waste a good title.

Besides, Saudi Arabia is bombing Yemen now.
Gulf broadcaster al-Arabiya TV reported that the kingdom was contributing as many as 150,000 troops and 100 warplanes to the operations and that Egypt, Jordan, Sudan and Pakistan were ready to take part in a ground offensive in Yemen.
Yemen's slide towards civil war has made it a crucial front in mostly Sunni Saudi Arabia's rivalry with Shi'ite Iran, which Riyadh accuses of stirring up sectarian strife throughout the region and in Yemen with its support for the Houthis.

The crisis now risks spiraling into a proxy war with Iran backing the Houthis, and Saudi Arabia and the other regional Sunni Muslim monarchies supporting Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The White House said in a statement late on Wednesday the United States supported the operation, led by the Arab Gulf Cooperation Council countries, and that President Barack Obama had authorized U.S. "logistical and intelligence support".
CNN has (autoplay) video of a very nervous-sounding Saudi ambassador making the announcement and name-dropping the US a lot.

Two related questions:
1) Is this going to be the thing that finally ignites the Sunni-Shi'ite cold war and drags the whole region into a decades-long deathmatch?

2) Is Obama going to use this to strike a (proxy) blow against Iran's (proxy) regional ambitions? And if not, will the Team Red empty suit in the White House in 2016 do so? (the answer to that last one is yes)

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

Hugh Akston wrote:I know, I know, zombie thread. But I hate to waste a good title.

Besides, Saudi Arabia is bombing Yemen now.
Gulf broadcaster al-Arabiya TV reported that the kingdom was contributing as many as 150,000 troops and 100 warplanes to the operations and that Egypt, Jordan, Sudan and Pakistan were ready to take part in a ground offensive in Yemen.
Yemen's slide towards civil war has made it a crucial front in mostly Sunni Saudi Arabia's rivalry with Shi'ite Iran, which Riyadh accuses of stirring up sectarian strife throughout the region and in Yemen with its support for the Houthis.

The crisis now risks spiraling into a proxy war with Iran backing the Houthis, and Saudi Arabia and the other regional Sunni Muslim monarchies supporting Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The White House said in a statement late on Wednesday the United States supported the operation, led by the Arab Gulf Cooperation Council countries, and that President Barack Obama had authorized U.S. "logistical and intelligence support".
CNN has (autoplay) video of a very nervous-sounding Saudi ambassador making the announcement and name-dropping the US a lot.

Two related questions:
1) Is this going to be the thing that finally ignites the Sunni-Shi'ite cold war and drags the whole region into a decades-long deathmatch?

2) Is Obama going to use this to strike a (proxy) blow against Iran's (proxy) regional ambitions? And if not, will the Team Red empty suit in the White House in 2016 do so? (the answer to that last one is yes)
Well, if a Team Red would join the game in progress, then to prevent war we'll have to elect Hill... BWAH HA HA HA! (Sorry, I couldn't keep the straight face anymore)...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Seriously with this shit guys
A Saudi-led coalition air strike hit a hospital in Yemen's northern Hajja province on Monday, residents and local officials said, killing at least seven people and wounding 13.

A Reuters witness at the scene of the attack in the Abs district said medics could not immediately evacuate the wounded because war planes continued to fly over the area and first responders feared more bombings.

The facility is run by aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres, which confirmed on its Twitter account that an air strike had occurred there but said the number of deaths and injuries remained unclear.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I'm sure they all died with smiles on their faces, knowing their deaths were caused in the name of Stopping Terrorism™. I just hope none of them mistakenly thought they were killed by terrorists, because then they'd be saddened by the thought that they died for bad reasons. As the late Don Marquis noted, it's awful to be killed by the wrong kind of people.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:Seriously with this shit guys
A Saudi-led coalition air strike hit a hospital in Yemen's northern Hajja province on Monday, residents and local officials said, killing at least seven people and wounding 13.

A Reuters witness at the scene of the attack in the Abs district said medics could not immediately evacuate the wounded because war planes continued to fly over the area and first responders feared more bombings.

The facility is run by aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres, which confirmed on its Twitter account that an air strike had occurred there but said the number of deaths and injuries remained unclear.
Maybe Medecins Sans Frontieres should just replace their Red Cross symbol for this one:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

Government is just another word for the hospital we choose to bomb together.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy »

nicole wrote:Government is just another word for the hospital we choose to bomb together.
win.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one »

Win-win.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Time to bump this thread again.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This seems like a pretty good summary
The US military initially said an estimated 14 militants were killed and that one Navy commando also died.
But days later it acknowledged that a number of civilians were also "likely killed", after photographs of several dead children emerged on social media and the family of Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical Yemeni-American cleric killed in a 2011 drone strike, said his young daughter had been shot dead.
Medics at the scene told Reuters news agency that about 30 people were killed, including 10 women and children, while a Yemeni official told the New York Times that at least eight women and seven children aged between three and 13 years old had died.
Among the reportedly children killed was Nawar al-Awlaki, the eight-year-old daughter of the AQAP ideologue Anwar al-Awlaki, according to her grandfather.
Fortunately the government already has a response ready to go in the case of a dead kid:
Nawar al-Awlaki's 16-year-old brother, Abdulrahman, was killed in a US drone strike two weeks after the death of their father in September 2011.
Asked about the boy's death at the time, then White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said: "Maybe he should've had a more responsible father."

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Asked about the boy's death at the time, then White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said: "Maybe he should've had a more responsible father."
Ew, is that real? Uggghhhhhh dude.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

If I could count on one fucking person to be pissed off about the Yaklaa Yemen operation, it would be Justin Raimando.

But no, he's still on the god damned Trump Train too.

(This is a guy who thought the USS Greeneville conducting local ops off Pearl Harbor in 2001 was just the worst.)