Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

Aresen

Re: Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

Post by Aresen » 28 Jun 2016, 17:47

Kolohe wrote:That wasn't Obama's tone before the Brexit vote.
Before the vote, he was shilling for Cameron and also the Serious People®.

Now he's got to play the role of grave paterfamilias and reassure the worried children.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Jun 2016, 18:15

Aresen wrote:
Before the vote, he was shilling for Cameron and also the Serious People®.

Now he's got to play the role of grave paterfamilias and reassure the worried children.
I'm more positive about this than you are, but basically

Brexit is bad but it's bad on the scale of bad tax policy, not on the scale of World War II or something.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Jun 2016, 19:03

Ellie wrote:
Maybe he was one of the hordes googling "what is brexit" after the vote.
All ~1,000 of them?

Just going to put this article out there, though it could also go in the shitty-journalism thread.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Jul 2016, 10:46

Evidently, the truck rampage was stopped when a policewoman jumped onto the front of the truck.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Aug 2016, 20:43

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Aug 2016, 22:11

He had a slow start, but he deserves a modicum of credit, there.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Aug 2016, 05:12

MO director of public defender's office uses legal authority to order the governor, a member of the bar, to defend a client.

http://www.publicdefender.mo.gov/Newsfe ... tation.PDF
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Aug 2016, 21:29

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Aug 2016, 13:42

The Federal Bureau of Prisons will stop using private prisons. CCA and GEO stock are tanking.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Aug 2016, 13:57

Fin Fang Foom wrote:The Federal Bureau of Prisons will stop using private prisons. CCA and GEO stock are tanking.
That's an improvement, although it's not like the majority of the carceral state being "non-profit" makes it just.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Aug 2016, 14:38

Andrew wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:The Federal Bureau of Prisons will stop using private prisons. CCA and GEO stock are tanking.
That's an improvement, although it's not like the majority of the carceral state being "non-profit" makes it just.
Is the fact that they are private the problem with prisons?

I will say if it breaks up the Prison Guard Union I'm all for it.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Aug 2016, 14:44

Painboy wrote:I will say if it breaks up the Prison Guard Union I'm all for it.
And if wishes was horses we'd all be eatin' steak.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Aug 2016, 14:45

lunchstealer wrote:
Neigh, I tell you! Neigh!

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Aug 2016, 14:48

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Neigh, I tell you! Neigh!
A man can dream.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Aug 2016, 15:18

Painboy wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I agree. Though private prisons are worse than public ones. Both have the entrenched interest issue, but private ones also cut corners on training and conditions. Violence and sexual assault are much higher at private prisons than public ones.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Aug 2016, 15:27

Mo wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I agree. Though private prisons are worse than public ones. Both have the entrenched interest issue, but private ones also cut corners on training and conditions. Violence and sexual assault are much higher at private prisons than public ones.
That makes some sense. Private prison's don't really have "customers" other than the government so most of the feedback mechanisms a private company would normally get is not there and what is there is going to be politically slanted.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Aug 2016, 16:12

Yay, down with private prisons.

But...last time I checked private prisons handled something like a little under 10% of everyone incarcerated at the state and federal level.

(I don't know what the % strictly at the Fed level is, so this might be a bigger deal. Also, I wonder if this also affects the immigration detention facilties, which I think are all ICE, not DOJ BOP.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Aug 2016, 16:45

According to the ACLU 16% of federal prisoners are in private prisons and Wikipedia says 19.1%. So it's quite a bit.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Jan 2017, 11:31

Woo-hoo! My friend with all the housing problems in the violent neighborhood got into some sort of apartment and will be able to put her house on the market! She is exactly the sort of person who benefits from aid -- working hard to overcome a couple bad breaks, with a deep longing to be self-sufficient. Thank you for helping her, government! Now please don't fuck it up for her.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Jan 2017, 11:55

w00t!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 10 Jan 2017, 15:32

Biodegradable Composites with Embedded Seeds for Training Ammunition

The DoD is actually looking for biodegradable ammunition (well, "components of ammunition" anyway) with embedded seeds that will help remove contaminants and the remains of the ammunition as they grow.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Feb 2017, 17:49

Deeply Republican South Carolina Gets First Openly Gay Lawmaker
GREENVILLE, S.C. — South Carolina's first openly gay legislator hails from the unlikeliest of places: an ultra-conservative part of the state that is home to the Christian fundamentalist school Bob Jones University.
To be sure, he didn't face very much opposition in the race, but his sexuality honestly didn't seem to have been much of an issue.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Feb 2017, 21:35

A federal judge ruled that the topless ban in Fort Collins, Colorado (basically, men can go topless but women cannot, and face up to 180 days in jail if they do) violates the equal protection clause.
U.S. District Judge R. Brooke Jackson blocked a topless ban in Fort Collins, Colorado on Wednesday, holding that, by permitting men but not women to display their breasts in public, the ordinance likely violated the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. The first federal ruling of its kind, Wednesday’s decision is a sharply reasoned and incisive excoriation of the archaic, sexist stereotypes that undergird such laws. But it is also, at bottom, a fairly conventional application of settled constitutional principles—and even those critics of the ruling who dislike Jackson’s conclusion will struggle to identify any specific logical infirmities in his opinion.

As advocacy group Free the Nipple correctly stated in its lawsuit against the ordinance, Fort Collins’ focus on female breasts explicitly discriminates on the basis of sex. Under the measure, women who show their nipples in public can be arrested, fined, and imprisoned for 180 days—while men are free to flaunt their nipples wherever they wish. The Equal Protection Clause generally forbids sex discrimination of this sort unless it is bolstered by an “exceedingly persuasive justification.” So the question for Jackson was whether Fort Collins met this high bar. The city provided two justifications that it purported to be “exceedingly persuasive”: First, that the ban is necessary to maintain “public order” and “protect children”; and second, that female breasts are sufficiently different from male breasts to merit disparate treatment of each....

-snip-

“At bottom,” Jackson continued, “this ordinance is based upon ipse dixit—the female breast is a sex object because we say so. That is, the naked female breast is seen as disorderly or dangerous because society, from Renaissance paintings to Victoria’s Secret commercials, has conflated female breasts with genitalia and stereotyped them as such. The irony is that by forcing women to cover up their bodies, society has made naked women’s breasts something to see.”
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Feb 2017, 09:46

Yeah. I have no idea why boobs have such magic powers, but I can attest that they do. You could hold my eyes with a boob on a stick.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Feb 2017, 18:58

Warren wrote:Yeah. I have no idea why boobs have such magic powers, but I can attest that they do. You could hold my eyes with a boob on a stick.
In Talibanland, the same would hold true for a woman's unveiled face -- precisely because the law says "Women's faces are so inherently sexy, they MUST stay hidden from pubic view."

Even in the West, a century ago, you'd have to go to the WW1 equivalent of a strip club if you want to see a woman's bare kneecaps. But in today's America, it's NBD to see knees in public anytime the weather is warm enough to allow it. Knees haven't changed; only the laws about them did.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b