Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

fyodor

Re: Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

Post by fyodor » 27 Feb 2017, 19:04

Jennifer wrote:
Warren wrote:Yeah. I have no idea why boobs have such magic powers, but I can attest that they do. You could hold my eyes with a boob on a stick.
In Talibanland, the same would hold true for a woman's unveiled face -- precisely because the law says "Women's faces are so inherently sexy, they MUST stay hidden from pubic view."

Even in the West, a century ago, you'd have to go to the WW1 equivalent of a strip club if you want to see a woman's bare kneecaps. But in today's America, it's NBD to see knees in public anytime the weather is warm enough to allow it. Knees haven't changed; only the laws about them did.
I'd guess attitudes changed more than laws. Did any law every specifically outlaw kneecaps?

(If you didn't mean it that literally, apologies!) (I suppose the the application of indecency laws might have changed....)
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Feb 2017, 04:04

NYC has had a similar ruling. IIRC there's one woman who just kind of wanders around on nice days with her tits out just to exercise that right.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Feb 2017, 10:27

lunchstealer wrote:NYC has had a similar ruling. IIRC there's one woman who just kind of wanders around on nice days with her tits out just to exercise that right.
Here's a pic of her (sfw)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Feb 2017, 10:37

I lived upstate NY when women were protesting for equal bare chest rights. The first year they announced they were going to go topless at a park on a date certain. A large crowd showed up, along with the media and the cops. A woman took her shirt off and was arrested. After that they held their protests out of town in campgrounds. The media still covered it, but there weren't crowds of people and the police let them be. I remember a march across the Niagara Falls bridge too. Eventually a law was passed and women have the right to go topless where men are topless. And nothing changed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Feb 2017, 16:43

I have no interest in walking around topless (indeed, between the ferocity of Georgia sunlight and my own tragic melanin deficiency, I don't want to expose any skin if I can avoid it), but I definitely support the pro-equality principle behind allowing it: if it's legal for men to walk around bare above the waist, it should be legal for women too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Feb 2017, 16:57

Jennifer wrote:I have no interest in walking around topless (indeed, between the ferocity of Georgia sunlight and my own tragic melanin deficiency, I don't want to expose any skin if I can avoid it), but I definitely support the pro-equality principle behind allowing it: if it's legal for men to walk around bare above the waist, it should be legal for women too.
In either event, it's seldom the ones you want to see who take advantage.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Feb 2017, 17:03

Sandy wrote:
Jennifer wrote:I have no interest in walking around topless (indeed, between the ferocity of Georgia sunlight and my own tragic melanin deficiency, I don't want to expose any skin if I can avoid it), but I definitely support the pro-equality principle behind allowing it: if it's legal for men to walk around bare above the waist, it should be legal for women too.
True, but -- going back to my earlier reference to women's faces in Talibanland -- they'd likely say the same thing there. "A few liberal areas are letting women go out unveiled, but damn! Seems like the ugly women are the only ones who ever want to." The majority of people of both sexes fall far short of perfect-10 appearance (or even a respectable 8.5+).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Feb 2017, 21:28

Sandy wrote:
Truth. I remember when I told my friend that the beaches in Barcelona were nude and he responded, "Awesome, I've gotta go!" I responded, "I never knew you had a thing for large hairy Spanish men."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Feb 2017, 21:30

Mo wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Truth. I remember when I told my friend that the beaches in Barcelona were nude and he responded, "Awesome, I've gotta go!" I responded, "I never knew you had a thing for large hairy Spanish men."
Well, shit, when you put it that way...hubbabubba.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Mar 2017, 12:02

Genuinely shocked to see they won:
Arlington, Va.—Late today, in a major victory for free speech, a three-judge panel from the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that it is unconstitutional for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) to ban Ocheesee Creamery from honestly labeling its all-natural skim milk as “skim milk.” Today’s ruling means that the Florida Panhandle-based creamery and its owner, Mary Lou Wesselhoeft, are one step closer to being able to stock their shelves with milk bottles with a label that describes what exactly is in the bottle: skim milk.

In its decision, the court said “The Creamery’s use of the words ‘skim milk’ to describe its skim milk is not inherently misleading.”
http://ij.org/press-release/victory-och ... t-appeals/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Mar 2017, 21:15

Cops honored for honoring basic firearms safety by not shooting someone who pointed loaded gun at them in a crowded mall:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html
"Asked if receiving a Medal for Valor award made them heroes, the veteran detectives predictably scoffed and said they were just doing their jobs."
"We just did what every other cop would have done."
Uh, no. That's pretty demonstrably untrue.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Mar 2017, 21:55

dead_elvis wrote:Cops honored for honoring basic firearms safety by not shooting someone who pointed loaded gun at them in a crowded mall:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html
"Asked if receiving a Medal for Valor award made them heroes, the veteran detectives predictably scoffed and said they were just doing their jobs."
"We just did what every other cop would have done."
Uh, no. That's pretty demonstrably untrue.
The amazing part is that they weren't sanctioned by their peers and disciplined by their superiors.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Apr 2017, 13:24

Fewer than 200 people in Connecticut are now caged for simple possession of drugs.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Apr 2017, 17:39

nicole wrote:Fewer than 200 people in Connecticut are now caged for simple possession of drugs.
But how many people are incarcerated for all drug crimes? Because I'm thinking LEOs and prosecutors adjusted to the change in the law by tacking on a couple trumped up charges to people who would have formally been charged with simple possession.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Apr 2017, 16:53

NSA is ceasing 702 collection of US persons' emails due to compliance issues. And they're deleting shit that they collected. That's huge.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Apr 2017, 18:37

Mo wrote:NSA is ceasing 702 collection of US persons' emails due to compliance issues. And they're deleting shit that they collected. That's huge.
That's cute
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Apr 2017, 04:02

Mo wrote:NSA is ceasing 702 collection of US persons' emails due to compliance issues. And they're deleting shit that they collected. That's huge.
"Collection" being an NSA term of art/doublespeak that means "actually looking at files we previously gathered and have filed away", IIRC.

As to deleting, that's just horseshit.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Apr 2017, 10:31

Eric the .5b wrote:
"Collection" being an NSA term of art/doublespeak that means "actually looking at files we previously gathered and have filed away", IIRC.

As to deleting, that's just horseshit.
The Caligula precedent.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Apr 2017, 10:42

Julian has good analysis here. It's a welcome change, but also likely due to changes in the internet since then.

https://www.justsecurity.org/40384/ado- ... more-40384

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Apr 2017, 12:33

Any time an intelligence agency says it's not doing something or has stopped doing it, the smart money is always on the agency lying through its teeth.

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Apr 2017, 14:06

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Any time an intelligence agency says it's not doing something or has stopped doing it, the smart money is always on the agency lying through its teeth.
I was figuring they had already found something a lot better that they weren't telling anyone about, so they publicly say "We'll stop doing this thing that nobody likes" (and is redundant anyway but you don't know that).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Apr 2017, 15:37

That, too.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 May 2017, 08:31

We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 May 2017, 09:45

Yeah but OTOH he put Chris Christie in charge of a White House commission on drug abuse, and Jeff Sessions wants to give the DEA its own prosecutors separate from the DOJ.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Jun 2017, 12:28

I love this video