Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

nicole

Re: Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

Post by nicole » 07 Dec 2017, 10:48

I saw the police rough up plenty of people when I lived in Canada, of course.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 07 Dec 2017, 11:22

While I have no trouble believing that the cops in Canada are generally better than cops in the US, I also have no trouble believing that there's plenty of racism and abuse too:
While Aboriginal people make up about 4% of the Canadian population, as of February 2013, 23.2% of the federal inmate population is Aboriginal ...
(http://www.oci-bec.gc.ca/cnt/rpt/oth-au ... o-eng.aspx)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Dec 2017, 13:03

I remember a few years ago, Jeff and I went to Halifax and visited a historic old fort there. (It was also a bit weird going through the fort's military history museum and seeing that, up until World War One, the US was portrayed generally as the bad-guy country against whom our Canadian forefathers had to defend themselves).

Inside the fort, you were surrounded by green grassy walls topped with regular niches where cannon once stood guard. Today, if you climbed the walls and sat in those cannon-spots you’d get breathtaking views of the harbor and city, but you’d also be at high risk of a fatal fall, so there were regular signs posted warning people to stay off the wall.

As I wandered through the fort, I suddenly heard a man yelling “Get off the wall!” I looked in one direction and saw an elderly man who had climbed into one of the forbidden cannon spots, then in another direction and saw an annoyed Canadian police officer whose job, apparently, was to stand in the center of the fort, keep an eye on the walls and yell at people who climbed too high.

As an American woman accustomed to American authority figures, I watched and waited to see what the police officer would do next – kick the old man out of the park? Ticket him? Arrest him? Taser him for non-compliance? The answer turned out to be “none of the above”; the cop merely watched to ensure the old man climbed down. A few minutes later, I heard the cop shout “Get off the wall!” at another tourist, but again, that was all he did.

Also, here's a cut-n-paste from a blog post I wrote in 2011 during a visit to Canada:
...in Canada and America, both governments will buy TV ads or billboards encouraging their citizens to behave in certain ways. The Canadian ads I saw contained messages like “donate blood” or “volunteer your time for a worthy charity.” The American ads urged people to feel paranoia and fear, via the infamous “See Something, Say Something” messages sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security. (I had no idea sleepy little farm towns in the Massachusetts Berkshires were such hotbeds of potential terrorist activity, but the billboards assured the farmers they should feel very, very afraid.)

To get to Niagara Falls from my place in Connecticut, the best route involves taking the New York Thruway, which is well-peppered with electronic signboards flashing messages to drivers. I first saw such signboards in the mid-1980s, on a family trip to Washington, DC, and remember being impressed by how high-tech and science-fictiony they were. Back then, the signboards flashed information drivers would find useful: time, temperature, traffic and weather conditions.

The signboards on the New York Thruway last weekend wasted no electrons on such drivel; instead, they flashed constant reminders of state authority and the penalties for getting on the wrong side of it, with “Click it or ticket” being the most common phrase....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Dec 2017, 18:32

When it's legit to say 'Niger, please' at a government run account.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Dec 2017, 12:39

When the cops showed up to deal with my manic roommate, they were very calm and professional. Otoh, Portland ME.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jan 2018, 06:19

Dangerman wrote:When the cops showed up to deal with my manic roommate, they were very calm and professional. Otoh, Portland ME.
Ugh. Just had a guy in a similar situation shoot four sheriffs deputies, killing one.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jan 2018, 12:51

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 06:19
Dangerman wrote:When the cops showed up to deal with my manic roommate, they were very calm and professional. Otoh, Portland ME.
Ugh. Just had a guy in a similar situation shoot four sheriffs deputies, killing one.
Yeah, that's going to have bad fallout :(
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Jan 2018, 17:14

A mistrial for Brady violations and then a dismissal with prejudice for Bundy and company? Holy shit.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Mar 2018, 10:28

Live eagle cam
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Mar 2018, 10:43

Kolohe wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 10:28
Live eagle cam
<<Live cam of Eagle's Nest>>>
The libertarian nightmare: Government Cameras in everyone's bedroom. :P
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 28 Jun 2018, 13:56

As some cities become more populous they are facing housing crunches causing the rent to be too damned high.
It shouldn't have been implemented in the first place but rolling back planning bureaucracy that prevented backyard cottages is the right response.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Jul 2018, 14:20

Holy crap, my alderman actually got the parks people to NOT destroy a huge field by putting an unnecessary new path through it!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jul 2018, 14:38

nicole wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 14:20
Holy crap, my alderman actually got the parks people to NOT destroy a huge field by putting an unnecessary new path through it!
I always felt like the way to handle path/paving was to take whatever thing you're building, let people walk on the grass to get to it for a month, and then pave the paths they naturally make in the grass with their foot traffic. I think my mom said that this was Penn State's method for new buildings.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Jul 2018, 14:48

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 14:38
nicole wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 14:20
I always felt like the way to handle path/paving was to take whatever thing you're building, let people walk on the grass to get to it for a month, and then pave the paths they naturally make in the grass with their foot traffic. I think my mom said that this was Penn State's method for new buildings.
This is actually a very involved story/extended rant about how this rich friend of Rahm’s gave the city $10 million to separate our lakefront multituse trail into one for pedestrians and one for cyclists. This is...not a good idea, in my opinion, and we’d be better off just putting up signs that say “keep right except to pass”...which I’m sure I’ll still think are needed AFTER the trail separation...but anyway. In some areas they’re just building the two paths side by side, in others not, for unclear reasons. In this big open area near us, with lots of lawn and nice big trees, they were going to carve one of the paths right through it for no apparent reason. There was the main trail to the west and a concrete pedestrian path to the east, but for some reason they were going to split the difference and just totally destroy this huge landscape. But now the trails will be side by side in that location.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jul 2018, 20:11

I thought this was kind of funny.

Code: Select all

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/24/631811087/orrin-hatch-would-like-you-to-know-hes-still-alive
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Dec 2018, 12:49

CHP uses Autopilot to stop a Tesla Model 3 with a sleeping driver at the wheel"
Deducing that the Tesla Model 3 was running on Autopilot, the officers called for backup and prepared to employ a stratagem.

After a second unit caught up to block any traffic coming from behind, the original car sped up to get in front of the Tesla, then gradually slowed to a stop.

The cameras and computer algorithms of the vehicle’s self-driving system did their job, slowing to avoid ramming the officer’s car.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Dec 2018, 12:43

The PHIT Act (how I hate the acronyms used in legislation now) would "allow taxpayers to place up to $2,000 a year in existing Pre-Tax medical accounts for reimbursement of physical activity expenses." It has passed the house and is pending in the Senate.

I am all for the government making all of my expenses payable with pre-tax dollars.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2018, 13:42

Andrew wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 12:43
The PHIT Act (how I hate the acronyms used in legislation now) would "allow taxpayers to place up to $2,000 a year in existing Pre-Tax medical accounts for reimbursement of physical activity expenses." It has passed the house and is pending in the Senate.

I am all for the government making all of my expenses payable with pre-tax dollars.
HSAs are already a thing. I don't know what the limit is, but I'm sure it's well above $2k.
What the fuck are "physical activity expenses"? Is that gym membership? It is isn't it! Its your fucking gym membership. Son of a bitch!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Dec 2018, 14:10

Warren wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 13:42
Andrew wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 12:43

HSAs are already a thing. I don't know what the limit is, but I'm sure it's well above $2k.
What the fuck are "physical activity expenses"? Is that gym membership? It is isn't it! Its your fucking gym membership. Son of a bitch!
That's right. Gettin swole on pretax dollars...

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Dec 2018, 14:39

We need a law that you can use pre-tax money for things that are good and after-tax money for things that are bad.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Dec 2018, 16:03

Or they could just, I don't know, lower taxes.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2018, 16:10

Hugh Akston wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 16:03
No they have to lower taxes for the upper-middle-class in a way that drives up prices for the unemployed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Dec 2018, 18:45

Warren wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 16:10
Hugh Akston wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 16:03
No they have to lower taxes for the upper-middle-class in a way that drives up prices for the unemployed.
Don't forget "lets them be moralistic about how you *should* be spending your money."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Dec 2018, 11:00

I obviously have a vested interest in tax advantaged savings - but this is too goofy even for me. Health and retirement saving, MAYBE education - that's it.

I will say though, that I'm fine with the idea that there shouldn't be tax advantaged savings if I get to live in the world where nobody cries that they have no money when they get old the system is broken gimme gimme etc. My preference order would be 1) no tax incentive but nobody dips into anyone else's pockets; 2) tax advantaged long term saving for health and retirement; 3) forced savings for health and retirement (like social security); 4) fundamentally redistributive policy to hand out candy to the undisciplined whenever they want more money.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Dec 2018, 11:13

JasonL wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 11:00
I obviously have a vested interest in tax advantaged savings - but this is too goofy even for me. Health and retirement saving, MAYBE education - that's it.

I will say though, that I'm fine with the idea that there shouldn't be tax advantaged savings if I get to live in the world where nobody cries that they have no money when they get old the system is broken gimme gimme etc. My preference order would be 1) no tax incentive but nobody dips into anyone else's pockets; 2) tax advantaged long term saving for health and retirement; 3) forced savings for health and retirement (like social security); 4) fundamentally redistributive policy to hand out candy to the undisciplined whenever they want more money.
If we get to live in World of My Own Making, you do away with income tax period. It is the worst thing save war and slavery civilization has ever done to its inhabitants.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT