Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

nicole

Re: Surprise! It's Government's Good Side

Post by nicole » 20 Jun 2017, 11:19

Asset forfeiture benchslap from the DC circuit court:

Who the fuck taught the district court judges how summary judgment was supposed to work?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Jul 2017, 21:59

nicole wrote:Asset forfeiture benchslap from the DC circuit court:

Who the fuck taught the district court judges how summary judgment was supposed to work?
Rule 56, Fed. R. Civ. P.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Aug 2017, 20:51

When you've lost Jeff Sessions...
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Aug 2017, 21:10

Mo wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 20:51
When you've lost Jeff Sessions...
This, the repudiation by the Boy Scouts, and the memo by the DEA director are actually what make me think impeachment can happen. There seems to be a pretty broad consensus that Trump is simply not someone that anyone wants to really be associated with. It's going to take time for Mueller to get something substantial, but by that point the Senate will be so tired of holding confirmation hearings for a revolving-door of replacement Cabinet members, and every institution in America will be so tired of issuing public apologies for what the President said, that the impeachment and conviction will take 12 hours, and that's with snack breaks.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Aug 2017, 23:12

Ironically, this was not a nut punch.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Aug 2017, 20:14

A bunch of mostly black NYPD officers and Serpico are standing up for Colin Kaepernick.

(Of course, maybe they just want him for the Jets.)
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2017, 21:34

Mattis bureaucrats the transgender ban into limbo, at least for the moment.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Aug 2017, 21:46

Which is what Mattis was trying to do before the tweet (he had just signed a memo extending the due date of the report on the subject by six months when that twwet came out).

And the written order that the White House gave apparently said ' study and implement' so he's doing one of the oldest tricks in following orders - follow them *exactly*.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Aug 2017, 21:46

Between that and Tillerson saying "The President speaks for himself", Trump has basically no authority in the government.

That's a good thing. I think.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Aug 2017, 16:07

re: Stingrays. Getting cell location info is a 4th Amendment search.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Sep 2017, 13:11

Not as good as Mo's post, but a benign to beneficial government activity:

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2017/08 ... pplication

No idea how well it works. I don't use it myself.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Sep 2017, 15:00

The house defunded Sessions' civil forfeiture program.

Also, fuck Jeff Sessions.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Nov 2017, 21:43

The guy just elected as DA in Philly is a civil rights and criminal defense attorney who has never worked as a prosecutor.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Nov 2017, 13:48

This is one for the record books, a city that won't build a stadium to get a sports team:

Halifax CFL team an ‘exciting opportunity,’ but city won’t lead effort
Savage says there has been a long-standing interest in the city for a football franchise and a stadium — Halifax currently does not have one suitable for a CFL team.

But he says a stadium is not a capital priority for the municipality, and any proposals would need to be led by the private sector
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Nov 2017, 17:44

I spent an enjoyable evening in Halifax once.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 17 Nov 2017, 17:49

Aresen wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 13:48
This is one for the record books, a city that won't build a stadium to get a sports team:

Savage says there has been a long-standing interest in the city for a football franchise and a stadium — Halifax currently does not have one suitable for a CFL team.

But he says a stadium is not a capital priority for the municipality, and any proposals would need to be led by the private sector
Good for them.

Of course if I lived in a city that actually paid for a CFL team to come in I'd probably burn down city hall.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Nov 2017, 17:59

Painboy wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 17:49
Aresen wrote:

Good for them.

Of course if I lived in a city that actually paid for a CFL team to come in I'd probably burn down city hall.
I find the CFL fun to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed the season we went to all of the Stallions games in Baltimore (when they won the Grey Cup).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 17 Nov 2017, 19:37

Highway wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 17:59
Painboy wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Good for them.

I find the CFL fun to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed the season we went to all of the Stallions games in Baltimore (when they won the Grey Cup).
That wasn't a dig at the game itself. It was more in reference to the comparitively small amount of revenue they would bring in. It would be like a city paying money to woo a minor league baseball team.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Nov 2017, 22:29

Painboy wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 19:37
Highway wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 17:59
Painboy wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Good for them.

That wasn't a dig at the game itself. It was more in reference to the comparitively small amount of revenue they would bring in. It would be like a city paying money to woo a minor league baseball team.
But they do, and municipalities frequently build minor league stadiums.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Nov 2017, 23:10

I wonder if smaller towns can get more economic value out of a small stadium than a big city can out of a major league one. Big cities have lots of large venues that can do what a stadium can and major league stadiums are crazy expensive. Whereas minor league stadiums are relatively cheap and the only large venue in the area. I don’t think this is true, but it’s a hypothesis.

Jake

Post by Jake » 17 Nov 2017, 23:25

Warren wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 17:44
I spent an enjoyable evening in Halifax once.
Unfortunately, Warren was there for eight months. ;)
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Dec 2017, 19:42

Couldn't find another place for this:

I was at the local food bank making my annual Christmas donation this afternoon. There was a man having some kind of paranoid panic attack when I arrived. The cops were there to help the ambulance people.

The cop was extremely professional and helped calm the man so he could be transported to hospital.

I know we complain a lot about officer misconduct, but I think it is only fair to compliment them when they act professionally and do a good job in a difficult situation. (Yeah, I know it is in the job description, but give credit where it is due.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Dec 2017, 22:34

Aresen wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 19:42
I know we complain a lot about officer misconduct, but I think it is only fair to compliment them when they act professionally and do a good job in a difficult situation. (Yeah, I know it is in the job description, but give credit where it is due.)
*points to your location*

Radley Balko's made some observations about the contrasts between Canadian and American cops. Mind you, I still agree, kudos to that officer.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Dec 2017, 08:05

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 22:34
Aresen wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 19:42
*points to your location*

Radley Balko's made some observations about the contrasts between Canadian and American cops. Mind you, I still agree, kudos to that officer.
My understanding is that American prisons make Canadian prisons look like holiday resorts as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 07 Dec 2017, 10:43

Apparently all my local PD gets training on handling the mentally ill. Our domestic violence shelter, which is part city-run, takes in men as well (though puts them up in local hotels, with whom they have agreements).
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren