Quotable quotes

Eric the .5b

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2018, 17:55

Aresen wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 16:01
The Bible would have been sooooo much better if Stan Lee had written it.
Pfft. Philistine.

Jack Kirby or GFTO.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Sep 2018, 18:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 17:55
Aresen wrote:
Pfft. Philistine.

Jack Kirby or GFTO.
To each his own, but the prayers to St. Hulk to SMASH would have been great.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 04 Sep 2018, 17:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Pfft. Philistine.

Jack Kirby or GFTO.
For writing?

I actually thought Garth Ennis already wrote the Old Testament.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Sep 2018, 18:27

Aresen wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 18:15
Eric the .5b wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Pfft. Philistine.

Jack Kirby or GFTO.
Well, textural analysis by scholars would probably indicate he wrote those, anyway. :D

And his depiction of Jesus vs. the moneylenders would be pretty cool.

(And really, given that spread is pages 2 and 3 of a comic, with the setup being a standing OMAC being told to leave by some private security goons, Kirby would have been perfect for the abrupt violence and other craziness of the Bible.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Sep 2018, 22:22

Eric the .5b wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 18:27
Aresen wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 18:15
Eric the .5b wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Pfft. Philistine.

Jack Kirby or GFTO.
Well, textural analysis by scholars would probably indicate he wrote those, anyway. :D

And his depiction of Jesus vs. the moneylenders would be pretty cool.

(And really, given that spread is pages 2 and 3 of a comic, with the setup being a standing OMAC being told to leave by some private security goons, Kirby would have been perfect for the abrupt violence and other craziness of the Bible.)
The depiction of Samson slaying 10,000 with the jawbone of Trump would have been epic.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Oct 2018, 01:18

David read me Patton's speech to the Third Army, and I don't know if I'm more in love with, "I don't want any messages saying 'I'm holding my position.' We're not holding a goddamned thing. We're advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding anything except the enemy's balls" or "We're going to murder those lousy Hun cocksuckers by the bushel-fucking-basket."
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2018, 10:06

Ellie wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 01:18
David read me Patton's speech to the Third Army, and I don't know if I'm more in love with, "I don't want any messages saying 'I'm holding my position.' We're not holding a goddamned thing. We're advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding anything except the enemy's balls" or "We're going to murder those lousy Hun cocksuckers by the bushel-fucking-basket."
I'm gonna haff to go with "enemy's balls". How many Hun cocksuckers can you fit in a bushel-fucking-basket anyway?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 01 Oct 2018, 17:16

Ellie wrote:
The book I'm reading has a fair number of mentions of Patton (since the 95th Division was attached to his Third Army), and while I don't have the book in front of me, a couple of quotes attributed to him were along the lines of (spoken to some soldiers who'd recently been in combat), "The Germans you met today are good Germans. They are good Germans because they are dead Germans, and they cannot reproduce."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Oct 2018, 17:30

JD wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 17:16
Ellie wrote:
The book I'm reading has a fair number of mentions of Patton (since the 95th Division was attached to his Third Army), and while I don't have the book in front of me, a couple of quotes attributed to him were along the lines of (spoken to some soldiers who'd recently been in combat), "The Germans you met today are good Germans. They are good Germans because they are dead Germans, and they cannot reproduce."
Patton was never much for nuance.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Oct 2018, 18:31

Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 10:06
Ellie wrote:
I'm gonna haff to go with "enemy's balls". How many Hun cocksuckers can you fit in a bushel-fucking-basket anyway?
You don't need an exact answer; just use something close enough - a Hun sucker proxy.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Oct 2018, 10:07

In an article on Slate about London "Basement Wars", where rich people in posh neighborhoods complain to stop their rich neighbors from building gigantic basement complexes:
“There’s a kind of polite racism going on here,” observed Roger Burrows, the professor of cities at Newcastle University who undertook the study of West London basements. “The people who have been complaining the most are what we call the merely wealthy—it’s a battle between the haves and the have-yachts. There’s an awful lot of snobbery, because these things are very vulgar.”
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Oct 2018, 01:53

“They’ve found the bomber’s vanifesto.”
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Nov 2018, 09:07

This is a high quality comment.
Josh Barro wrote:(I should note — when we talk about how New York “used to be better,” we mostly mean that we used to be younger. Unfortunately, this problem cannot be addressed through a rent-control policy or any other public policy. But I digress.)
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Nov 2018, 09:53

Mo wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 09:07
This is a high quality comment.
Josh Barro wrote:(I should note — when we talk about how New York “used to be better,” we mostly mean that we used to be younger. Unfortunately, this problem cannot be addressed through a rent-control policy or any other public policy. But I digress.)
I recently heard someone say that NYC use to be better before Uber ruined the subway. I was all "bwaaa?" But now it makes sense.
Although, several years ago this same person moved from NYC to LA and bitched about the public transportation because it consisted of "a thousand busses". So apparently she has some genuine affection for the subway.

Full disclosure. The few times I've passed through NYC, reinforced my inclination to avoid/flee as fast as possible. I've never ridden the subway.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Nov 2018, 10:56

The subway system has gotten notably worse in the past ten years.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Nov 2018, 18:49

It's basically since Sandy flooded the whole fucking place and fucked up the signals.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Nov 2018, 18:53

Dammit sandy

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Nov 2018, 21:51

JasonL wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 18:53
Dammit sandy
I never did like the guy.

What are we talking about?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Dec 2018, 22:06

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with the TSA grabbing your junk.”