Quotable quotes

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12934
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Highway » 28 Dec 2015, 18:22

From Jordan Weissman's evenhanded discussion of minimum wage and the NYT's advocacy of a 15 dollar minimum:
Slate writer wrote:...nobody ever built a labor movement on econometric analysis.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Aresen » 29 Dec 2015, 00:09

Highway wrote:From Jordan Weissman's evenhanded discussion of minimum wage and the NYT's advocacy of a 15 dollar minimum:
Slate writer wrote:...nobody ever built a labor movement on econometric analysis.
The NYT never turned down an employee due to innumeracy.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18007
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jan 2016, 21:12

Russia is so lastingly humiliated by their failure to globalize that they've become a "troll state."
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10330
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by JD » 03 Feb 2016, 14:23

David Frum on monetary policy:
The modern currency float has its problems. There is no magical monetary cure, monetary policy is a policy area almost uniquely crowded with trade-offs and lesser evils.
If you want a classical gold standard, you get chronic deflation punctuated by depressions, as the U.S. did between 1873 and 1934.
If you want a regime of managed currencies tethered to gold, you get regulations and controls, as the U.S. got from 1934 through 1971.
If you let the currency float, you get chronic inflation punctuated by bubbles, the American lot since 1971.
System 1 is incompatible with democracy, because voters won’t accept the pain inherent in a gold standard.
System 2 is incompatible with the free market economics I favor.
That leaves me with System 3 as the worst option except for all the others.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Aresen » 03 Feb 2016, 22:30

JD wrote:David Frum on monetary policy:
The modern currency float has its problems. There is no magical monetary cure, monetary policy is a policy area almost uniquely crowded with trade-offs and lesser evils.
If you want a classical gold standard, you get chronic deflation punctuated by depressions, as the U.S. did between 1873 and 1934.
If you want a regime of managed currencies tethered to gold, you get regulations and controls, as the U.S. got from 1934 through 1971.
If you let the currency float, you get chronic inflation punctuated by bubbles, the American lot since 1971.
System 1 is incompatible with democracy, because voters won’t accept the pain inherent in a gold standard.
System 2 is incompatible with the free market economics I favor.
That leaves me with System 3 as the worst option except for all the others.
I say we should crowd-fund a gold brick, tie it to a noose around David Frum's neck and toss him into the Pacific at the Marianas Trench.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6673
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by tr0g » 04 Feb 2016, 12:47

Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:David Frum on monetary policy:
The modern currency float has its problems. There is no magical monetary cure, monetary policy is a policy area almost uniquely crowded with trade-offs and lesser evils.
If you want a classical gold standard, you get chronic deflation punctuated by depressions, as the U.S. did between 1873 and 1934.
If you want a regime of managed currencies tethered to gold, you get regulations and controls, as the U.S. got from 1934 through 1971.
If you let the currency float, you get chronic inflation punctuated by bubbles, the American lot since 1971.
System 1 is incompatible with democracy, because voters won’t accept the pain inherent in a gold standard.
System 2 is incompatible with the free market economics I favor.
That leaves me with System 3 as the worst option except for all the others.
I say we should crowd-fund a gold brick, tie it to a noose around David Frum's neck and toss him into the Pacific at the Marianas Trench.
Can we just spray-paint a cinder block?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10330
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by JD » 04 Feb 2016, 13:23

I knew there was a reason I liked Werner Herzog.
I've never seen a single tweet that I found interesting at all. What does impress you about 100,000 tweets, 100,000 times stupidities in 140 characters?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by the innominate one » 24 Feb 2016, 23:28

The one human thing about Cruz seems to be that his movie impersonations are troublingly solid, a consistent B-plus to A-minus.
He's against everything all at once. Welfare! Corporations! Special Interests! Government! The Establishment! He's that escort who'll be into whatever you want, for an hour.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... e-20160224
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by the innominate one » 09 Mar 2016, 11:22

Sun-Sentinel Editorial Board wrote:The Sun-Sentinel Editorial Board is not going to make an endorsement in Florida's March 15 Republican presidential primary because the kind of person who should be running is not in the race.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6673
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by tr0g » 09 Mar 2016, 12:54

the innominate one wrote:
Sun-Sentinel Editorial Board wrote:The Sun-Sentinel Editorial Board is not going to make an endorsement in Florida's March 15 Republican presidential primary because the kind of person who should be running is not in the race.
Like Mittens, Johnny Mac, or Hillary?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15980
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Mar 2016, 12:57

Has JEB! actually dropped out yet?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6673
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by tr0g » 09 Mar 2016, 13:00

lunchstealer wrote:Has JEB! actually dropped out yet?
One doesn't drop out until the campaign money is spent. He has suspended his campaign, which is functionally (but not technically) the same thing.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Aresen » 14 Mar 2016, 12:41

On a H&R thread about police abusing warrants:
Leo G wrote:NOBODY EXPECTS THE NEW PROFESSIONALISM
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Aresen » 15 Mar 2016, 22:09

Lindybeige wrote:We don't actually envy the people running the Mordor tourist board, because that's a tough sell
Here, at 2:00:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6177
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Andrew » 16 Mar 2016, 21:46

Well, now she's got the retarded vote.
My girlfriend upon seeing Hillary's ad with Gabby Giffords.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15980
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Mar 2016, 15:14

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26280
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by thoreau » 17 Mar 2016, 15:24

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Aresen » 25 Mar 2016, 18:25

A NYC police detective wrote:I have had psychics tell me lots of things, but not one ever told me I was a cop on the bunco squad about to arrest them.
This is third-hand and unverified, but I thought it was funny.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by the innominate one » 29 Apr 2016, 20:13

In a response to an intelligent design idiot. IC = irreducible complexity.
Diogenes Friday, April 29, 2016 12:06:00 AM wrote:Stupid man can't figure out that IC systems can be produced by natural processes even after being told twice. Must talk to stupid man slow and simple. Make cave man understand.

Consider natural arch. If man remove piece of arch, arch break. Arch is IC. Arch have function: mammoth use arch cross river. Same as bridge man make. How arch form? Sediment collect on soft rock. Sediment get harder. Now has more pieces than it need. If man remove part, system not break. System redundant.

Then big river come. River erode soft rock below, leave hard rock above. Make natural arch. Mammoth use as bridge. If man remove big part, bridge collapse.

Natural process make it. Great Spirit not needed. High Priest say Great Spirit make arch. Him shake bones, say Great Spirit want him have all women and mammoth meat. Me think mammoth stepped on head when baby.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17906
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Apr 2016, 18:26

John Cleese quoting an acquaintance on the topic of political correctness:
People who can't control their own emotions try to control other people's behavior.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10330
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by JD » 02 May 2016, 12:48

"A cynic is a person searching for an honest man, with a stolen lantern." -- Edgar A. Shoaff
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18007
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by dbcooper » 02 May 2016, 20:25

As I’ve mentioned in a number of contexts, people who are not very bright have this terrible tendency to pick a side in major intractable geopolitical conflicts, and support it as if it was a football team.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by the innominate one » 02 May 2016, 20:44

Yep.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by pistoffnick » 06 May 2016, 09:38

Jordan|5.6.16 @ 9:05AM|#

Funny how the affirmative consent crowd will be the first to tell you that merely breathing is consenting to the social contract.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22535
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by JasonL » 06 May 2016, 09:39

Ho ho ...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests