Quotable quotes

pistoffnick

Quotable quotes

Post by pistoffnick » 08 May 2010, 17:47

"Tequila and guacamole are some of Mexico's great contributions to civilization." -Flying Cat
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

dbcooper

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by dbcooper » 08 May 2010, 18:05

pistoffnick wrote:"Tequila and guacamole are some of Mexico's great contributions to civilization." -Flying Cat
Well it's not my mexican flatmate's tuna pasta ...
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 May 2010, 00:59

Is it anybody's tuna pasta ever?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Lost_In_Translation

Post by Lost_In_Translation » 09 May 2010, 23:03

pistoffnick wrote:"Tequila and guacamole are some of Mexico's great contributions to civilization." -Flying Cat
chile con queso has got to be up there.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 May 2010, 00:54

Selma Hayek.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 10 May 2010, 17:17

offhand one would suppose that paul krugman - a very big fan of government borrowing and spending - would be a bit chastened by the meltdown of greece and the potential meltdown of the world. but one doesn't win nobel prizes by being chastened.
-Crispin Sartwell

edit: Mmmm...Selma Hayek, a bottle of tequila, a bag of chips and guacamole dip. Could you ask for anything more?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2010, 17:20

Salma Hayek. S-A-L-M-A. Salma Hayek.

She is far too pretty to deserve to be confused with Marge Simpson's sister.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 10 May 2010, 17:41

Its a little game we play. I call her Selma. She calls me Nickel. And then we laugh and make passionate love in the pile of salty chips and guacamole. Sometimes she sticks her big toe in my mouth and pours tequila down her leg...or maybe I just saw that in a movie.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 May 2010, 18:13

pistoffnick wrote:Its a little game we play. I call her Selma. She calls me Nickel. And then we laugh and make passionate love in the pile of salty chips and guacamole. Sometimes she sticks her big toe in my mouth and pours tequila down her leg...or maybe I just saw that in a movie.
I'll be in Stevo's bunk
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 10 May 2010, 19:41

I Have a black pit that rests inside of me
That fuels my all consuming sense of nothingness
As if monotony and drudgery were the only compass points...
On my dark walk through life
The nipples of mother hope have run dry.
-The Kids in the Hall

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 10 May 2010, 23:08

Warren wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:Its a little game we play. I call her Selma. She calls me Nickel. And then we laugh and make passionate love in the pile of salty chips and guacamole. Sometimes she sticks her big toe in my mouth and pours tequila down her leg...or maybe I just saw that in a movie.
I'll be in Stevo's bunk
Damn, Stevo's bunk is an awful busy place. Is that the price one place one pays for owning the Internet?

As long as it's not mine. It's generally occupied.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 May 2010, 13:11

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 18 May 2010, 21:33

In the context of "the Chinese don't get to lecture anyone about human rights" in regard to the Arizona "immigration law" Hit & Run regular Fluffy* said:
If you're a wife beater and Hitler comes up to you and says, "You know, it sucks that you beat your wife," he's right. You can comfort yourself with the knowledge that he's a worse person than you are, but he's still right.
http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/18/reaso ... nt_1710632

*who I have on occasion faulted as being too much of a libertarianer-than-thou poster.

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 May 2010, 13:01

Sen Ben Nelson, D-NE on ATMs
“I've never used an ATM, so I don't know what the fees are. It's true, I don't know how to use one. But I could learn how to do it just like I've . . . I swipe to get my own gas, buy groceries. I know about the holograms.
By holograms, he means supermarket scanners. Congratulations, we now have the Democratic version of "the internet is a series of tubes."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 20 May 2010, 14:59

Lost_In_Translation wrote:
chile con queso has got to be up there.
Chile con queso is from Texas. In fact, just about any Mexican or "Mexican" food that has queso in it is probably either actually Tex-Mex, or isn't an authentic representation of the original dish. Mexicans use somewhere between little and none in their cooking. These life lessons are what one learns from driving across Mexico. That, and sometimes making a run for the border is less about fun times and gastrointestinal problems at a fast food restaurant, and more about keeping your car.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 20 May 2010, 17:36

I'm told that in Mexico city, it's sometimes done to order a "Quesadilla con queso."

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 24 May 2010, 01:15

The origins of Chile con Queso are probably northern Mexico, near the Texas border. The nacho was born of the same sort of thing. That said, Tex-Mex is my preferred bastardization of "authentic" Mexican food. In the interior you don't get the same sot of food that you do at the border, which is to be expected, and that's all right. What is authentically Mexican and is one of the greatest things to come out of any culinary tradition anywhere on the planet is mole. Mole may be the most complicated sauce I can love, and it's complicated. Every individual chef's is deeply personal, they're all different, and when done properly pollo en mole or enchiladas de mole are the sort of sublime culinary perfection that one rarely has the opportunity to enjoy. Spicy mole and cheap Mexican lager almost make South Texas summer tolerable. Almost.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 May 2010, 19:46

Me, in a debate with my overtly religious friend wrote:if man was created in the image of God, then why would man have instinct where God lacked it?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 May 2010, 20:07

Taktix® wrote:
Me, in a debate with my overtly religious friend wrote:if man was created in the image of God, then why would man have instinct where God lacked it?
Heh heh. Wait what?
Who says man has instinct? Who says God lacked it? Being made in God's image doesn't mean being exactly like God. I don't get it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 May 2010, 21:31

Well, all of our inherent instincts are generally considered sinful, so if we are created in God's image, how are we inherently sinful?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 25 May 2010, 00:00

Well ... sympathy, parent-child love, withdrawing from pain ... lots of instincts couldn't be considered sinful. (And for most of the ones that might be, it depends on context.)

But most of all, you have to define what "created in God's image" is supposed to mean.

(FWIW, I was taught that it meant "having creative ability." That might be pulled out of someone's ass, but with a modern conception of God it's pretty clear that it can't be interpreted as literally "resembling in appearance." All we can say is that some sort of similarity or commonality is meant.)
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 May 2010, 00:22

Stevo Darkly wrote:Well ... sympathy, parent-child love, withdrawing from pain ... lots of instincts couldn't be considered sinful. (And for most of the ones that might be, it depends on context.)

But most of all, you have to define what "created in God's image" is supposed to mean.

(FWIW, I was taught that it meant "having creative ability." That might be pulled out of someone's ass, but with a modern conception of God it's pretty clear that it can't be interpreted as literally "resembling in appearance." All we can say is that some sort of similarity or commonality is meant.)
This is why women are lesser creatures than men. They cannot grow a long white beard, and therefore bear less resemblance to God.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 May 2010, 00:23

Hugh Akston wrote:
Stevo Darkly wrote:Well ... sympathy, parent-child love, withdrawing from pain ... lots of instincts couldn't be considered sinful. (And for most of the ones that might be, it depends on context.)

This is why women are lesser creatures than men. They cannot grow a long white beard, and therefore bear less resemblance to God.
SHE does not agree.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 May 2010, 11:54

Aresen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

SHE does not agree.
What? She can grow a long white beard if She wants to! What part of omnipotent bitch don't you understand?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL