Quotable quotes

dbcooper

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by dbcooper » 31 Mar 2017, 20:12

[quote="Rod Stewart on "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy"]It was only a pop record, but you’d have thought I’d poisoned the water supply.[/quote]
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 30 Apr 2017, 07:41

"Most people know that Trump is more full of shit than the entire combined intestinal tract of the Fat Acceptance movement." -King Crockoduck, hier:
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2017, 20:33

Five out of six Russians would agree Russian roulette is safer
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 04 Aug 2017, 23:24

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen
the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by
discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the
wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting
class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away
people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently
by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves. .....
Reverend William J.H. Boetcker, (1873–1962)
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2017, 21:55

pistoffnick wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 23:24
Can I get that stitched on a pillow?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Aug 2017, 11:44

Warren wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 21:55
pistoffnick wrote:
You should etch it on some leatherwork.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Aug 2017, 12:07

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 11:44
Warren wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 21:55
pistoffnick wrote:
You should etch it on some leatherwork.
The point being that you should do it yourself rather than expect embroidered pillow handouts for the rest of your life.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Aug 2017, 00:28

Nicolas Cage’s Taken was such a Taken that it was called Stolen.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 19 Sep 2017, 13:23

“When Fascism comes to America, it will call itself anti-Fascism. My own belief, more than once set afloat from this spot, is that it will take us, soon or late, into the stormy waters of Fascism. To be sure, that Fascism is not likely to be identical with the kinds on tap in Germany, Italy and Russia; indeed, it is very apt to come in under the name of anti-Fascism.” – H.L. Mencken (1938)

JD

Post by JD » 19 Sep 2017, 13:55

"It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." -- Albert Einstein.

Ironically, this can be rephrased as, "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Sep 2017, 14:02

Even more ironically, this can be rephrased as "do not needlessly multiply entities", which is Ockham's Razor.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 26 Sep 2017, 13:14

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation. – Thomas B. Reed

JD

Post by JD » 26 Sep 2017, 16:28

In light of the Harrier Jet's well-documented function in attacking and destroying surface and air targets, armed reconnaissance and air interdiction, and offensive and defensive anti-aircraft warfare, depiction of such a jet as a way to get to school in the morning is clearly not serious...
(Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Sep 2017, 17:21

JD wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 16:28
In light of the Harrier Jet's well-documented function in attacking and destroying surface and air targets, armed reconnaissance and air interdiction, and offensive and defensive anti-aircraft warfare, depiction of such a jet as a way to get to school in the morning is clearly not serious...
I read that in law school. The court made the wrong decision.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Sep 2017, 17:29

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 17:21
JD wrote:
It would have been lit if the guy won, but got a demilitarized Harrier, which would just end up being a shitty jet.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Sep 2017, 17:32

Mo wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 17:29
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
JD wrote:
It would have been lit if the guy won, but got a demilitarized Harrier, which would just end up being a shitty jet.
Yeah, that's the thing. There's no reason Pepsi couldn't have given him the jet.

JD

Post by JD » 26 Sep 2017, 17:55

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
JD wrote:
Yeah, I can definitely see a good argument for that. I'm sort of surprised that it wasn't enough for Pepsi to point out that the jet wasn't actually in the Pepsi Points catalog and therefore couldn't technically be actually ordered, though.

I ran across Leonard while reading about Carlill v. Carbolic Smoke Ball Co., which sounded much more clear-cut. (tl;dr version: A company made a product called the Carbolic Smoke Ball and said in ads "If you use it as directed and still get the flu, we'll pay you £100, and we have £1000 on deposit to show how serious we are." A woman used it, got sick anyway, tried to claim her money, and the company basically tried to get out of it by saying, "Uh, we weren't serious about that.")

JD

Post by JD » 26 Sep 2017, 17:58

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 17:32
Yeah, that's the thing. There's no reason Pepsi couldn't have given him the jet.
Well, other than the fact that they would have been giving away a roughly $33 million jet for about $700,000. Then they might be faced with more people trying to do the same, and then the question would have been "do they have to keep doing it, or could they argue that there was only one on offer", I guess.

Also, I really wonder where Leonard found the investors willing to put up the money. "What's that? You saw a commercial, so you want us to loan you several hundred thousand dollars so you can buy a fighter jet? Sure, let me get my wallet."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Sep 2017, 18:10

JD wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 17:58
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Well, other than the fact that they would have been giving away a roughly $33 million jet for about $700,000. Then they might be faced with more people trying to do the same, and then the question would have been "do they have to keep doing it, or could they argue that there was only one on offer", I guess.

Also, I really wonder where Leonard found the investors willing to put up the money. "What's that? You saw a commercial, so you want us to loan you several hundred thousand dollars so you can buy a fighter jet? Sure, let me get my wallet."
They made the offer, he accepted, and Pepsi could have made good. Courts aren't supposed to evaluate business decisions on whether or not they are dumb.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Sep 2017, 19:15

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 18:10
JD wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

They made the offer, he accepted, and Pepsi could have made good. Courts aren't supposed to evaluate business decisions on whether or not they are dumb.
:roll:
You fucking lawyers. So no one can make a humorous advertisement ever?
Claiming that PepisCo made a good faith offer is a Shyster, Shyster, and Golddouche argument.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Sep 2017, 19:29

If they made it 7 billion, the joke would work just as well and also be unattainable.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Sep 2017, 23:00

Warren wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 19:15
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
JD wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

Claiming that PepisCo made a good faith offer is a Shyster, Shyster, and Golddouche argument.
No. Humor will be illega in lawtopia. Thebonly residents will be attorneys who know better than to make jokes and engineers who wouldn't think a huge multinational being forced to buy a multirole attack aircraft for a lunatic would be funnier than an ad aimed at kids.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Sep 2017, 23:53

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 23:00
Warren wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
JD wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

No. Humor will be illega in lawtopia. Thebonly residents will be attorneys who know better than to make jokes and engineers who wouldn't think a huge multinational being forced to buy a multirole attack aircraft for a lunatic would be funnier than an ad aimed at kids.
It's plenty funny, but it loses at 'And Then What?'
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Sep 2017, 04:25

Warren wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 23:00
Warren wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
JD wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

It's plenty funny, but it loses at 'And Then What?'
And then you have enough fuel to take off, fly to school, and land. Then hope school has a lot of JP-8.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 28 Sep 2017, 10:21

I suspect he won over investors with "you'll put up 700K, and we'll settle with Pepsi for 15 million." I'm sure they realized their miscalculation when stuff like this came out:
Among other claims made, Leonard claimed that a federal judge was incapable of deciding on the matter, and that instead the decision had to be made by a jury consisting of members of the "Pepsi Generation" to whom the advertisement would allegedly constitute an offer.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen