Quotable quotes

Dangerman

Re: Quotable quotes

Post by Dangerman » 06 May 2016, 16:56

I got burned just looking in the direction of that one.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 May 2016, 22:13

Ben Carson is going to be mighty upset when President Trump screws him over by handing over the Surgeon General position to Jenny McCarthy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 May 2016, 12:09

Academia? Now, there’s a hotbed of idiocy. - Daryl Hall
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 31 May 2016, 21:05

On the subject of movie-making:

"The internet is the world's revenge for everything Hollywood has ever gotten wrong about anyone's job or hobby." — Flory.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 06 Jun 2016, 16:22

Every corpse on Everest was once an extremely motivated person.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Jun 2016, 21:31

pistoffnick wrote:Every corpse on Everest was once an extremely motivated person.
Sadly, though, being extremely unmotivated will not prevent eventually becoming a corpse.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2016, 22:31

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:Every corpse on Everest was once an extremely motivated person.
Sadly, though, being extremely unmotivated will not prevent eventually becoming a corpse.
Are you sure? I think I should test your hypothesis.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Jun 2016, 23:23

Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Are you sure? I think I should test your hypothesis.
I've got a longitudinal study going already.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Jun 2016, 00:14

Come on, you're straight, white, and rich. The world has lavished you with undeserved favor. It would be thankless to rest on your laurels.
From Casual, s2e2.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jun 2016, 01:06

My friend Alex wrote:You make political hay while the sun shines. And by sun, I mean blood.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jun 2016, 23:44

Kraut and Tea wrote:I'm German and I have a better sense of humor than you.
Youtube Channel Here

Specific item, here:

l0Vfjk0iJkk
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 25 Jun 2016, 10:19

Aresen wrote:
Youtube Channel Here

Specific item, here:

l0Vfjk0iJkk
Oh my god, that first video went off the rails so quickly. The worst thing any SJW ever did was engender awfully produced anti-SJW videos (which are so incoherent that I think that the producers thereof must be 75% of the way to a serious mental disorder).
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 25 Jun 2016, 15:41

Aresen wrote:
Youtube Channel Here

Specific item, here:

l0Vfjk0iJkk
His rants get kind of glorious. He rants only the way a pissed-off German kann.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Jul 2016, 14:20

In response to a running blogger saying they would have won the race if only their calves didn't hurt and blah blah excuses:
Seriously, that sauce is so damn weak. If I were Kanye West then I would have shit in a gold toilet this morning.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Jul 2016, 15:08

From a Vulture piece on Guns n' Roses, I thought this was amusing:
The Guns N' Roses show in Chicago had exactly the feel of a band that had been told, "Look, what part of 'Go up onstage, smile, and play the hits, and we'll give you a million dollars each' do you not understand?" On the other hand, the Gunners had watched Aerosmith's rise and fall happen before they got big, and it still didn't stop them from going through the same process. No one ever said they weren't numbskulls.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Jul 2016, 18:49

Back in the early 90s, GnR (really, Axl) was famously contemptuous of their audiences, often not going on until hours after their opening act, and routinely playing shortened sets.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Jul 2016, 19:59

Kolohe wrote:Back in the early 90s, GnR (really, Axl) was famously contemptuous of their audiences, often not going on until hours after their opening act, and routinely playing shortened sets.
Or stomping off before they played anything.

The article was actually pretty good at describing the zeitgeist of GnR, how they weren't amazingly talented, and not particularly smart or capable or caring, but managed to just hit a group feel that worked far better than the sum of the parts. And then how they fucked that all up and spent 20+ years not doing anything.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Jul 2016, 23:10

Dan Graur wrote:Wasps are more advanced th[a]n bees: They renounced monarchy and adopted instead anarcho-syndicalist principles.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jul 2016, 10:52

Highway wrote:The article was actually pretty good at describing the zeitgeist of GnR, how they weren't amazingly talented, and not particularly smart or capable or caring, but managed to just hit a group feel that worked far better than the sum of the parts. And then how they fucked that all up and spent 20+ years not doing anything.
There's some truth to that, although it was mostly Axl who spent 20 years not doing anything (worthwhile); Izzy said, "I have fuck-you money, so I'm going to say 'fuck you' and just have fun with it," Slash has been playing elder statesman of the guitar, he and Duff have spent the last 20 years playing with every and any band that struck their fancy, and Duff also writes for media outlets and founded his own wealth management firm. Steven Adler, OK, he was a mess.

Mostly I did not care for that article much. The author is way too in love with his own cleverness, and what he knows about GnR seems to have come from about 30 seconds of casual internet research.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 12 Jul 2016, 17:46

AgileCyborg wrote:The American ideal is at its flaky crusty top grandma's apple pie simmering the sweet steam of sugared apples and dreams of green valleys, free speech, Jesus, and gun oil while at its squishy baked bottom lies a volcanic stew of twisting vipers.

Citizen X wrote:while at its squishy baked bottom lies a volcanic stew of twisting vipers

Remind me never to eat your grandmother's apple pie.
From here.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Jul 2016, 12:41

Matt Taibbi wrote:The 2016 Republican National Convention to nominate Trump felt like a fallback list of speakers for some ancient UHF telethon, on behalf of a cause like plantar-wart research.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/fe ... op-w430546

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Aug 2016, 16:35

From one of Tim Cavanaugh's friends on the book of faces...
The Rembrandts weren't about "hits", they were about revolution!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Aug 2016, 16:44

Wat.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 22 Aug 2016, 14:21

“In my opinion, any adult human – and most children past a certain degree of maturity – ought to carry a knife. Otherwise you’re just a chimp with a haircut.” – Tamara K. in a comment to a post in The Adventures of Roberta X. blog
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Aug 2016, 14:47

pistoffnick wrote:“In my opinion, any adult human – and most children past a certain degree of maturity – ought to carry a knife. Otherwise you’re just a chimp with a haircut.” – Tamara K. in a comment to a post in The Adventures of Roberta X. blog
Jason Bourne and his Staples catalogue of murder would beg to differ.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex