The libertarian case for Biden

Jennifer

The libertarian case for Biden

Post by Jennifer »

Good article (IMO) from a lifelong libertarian explaining why he'll vote for Biden this year.

https://arcdigital.media/a-pox-on-one-o ... 97b9d6891e

Money quote: "a vote for Biden is not a vote for the particular policies he may pursue, many of which will surely be unlibertarian and ill-advised. It’s a vote to preserve the institutions that make liberal democracy and normal politics possible."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JasonL

Re: The libertarian case for Biden

Post by JasonL »

It's not far from my own take. You aren't voting for people or even policies per se, you are voting for coalitions that want certain things and are willing to do certain things to get them. If an anti immigrant, anti media animus coalition which is motivated by conspiracy and a sneering at norms as handcuffs becomes a loser coalition, we all win long run. Eventually the elephants will reform around some other thing that can win. Maybe just as bad, but probably not.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

There's Bad: Biden and Worse: Trump. 'Nuff said.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

To paraphrase what PJ O'Rourke said in 2016, explaining why he would hold his nose and vote for Hillary: as president she'd be wrong about almost everything, but at least she'd be wrong within normal parameters.

In the alt-universe where Hillary won in 2016, the last three years of alt-Gryll posts include many from me criticizing the latest bad thing she said or did ... but when covid struck, alt-President Clinton would not have done the many, many things Trump has done to make it worse. And she would not have spent the previous three years systematically trashing America's relationships with our allies, either.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

That was definitely more the libertarian case against Trump than it was the libertarian case for Biden, but he's not wrong.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:18 To paraphrase what PJ O'Rourke said in 2016, explaining why he would hold his nose and vote for Hillary: as president she'd be wrong about almost everything, but at least she'd be wrong within normal parameters.

In the alt-universe where Hillary won in 2016, the last three years of alt-Gryll posts include many from me criticizing the latest bad thing she said or did ... but when covid struck, alt-President Clinton would not have done the many, many things Trump has done to make it worse. And she would not have spent the previous three years systematically trashing America's relationships with our allies, either.
Speaking of Clinton, I'd like to see Biden appoint her Ambassador to Russia just to rub Putin's nose in it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

He'd give her Novichok as soon as she arrived. We don't need that drama.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:43 He'd give her Novichok as soon as she arrived. We don't need that drama.
Or do we? No, we don't.

I'm pretty sure we don't need that drama.

Definitely pretty sure.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:12
thoreau wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 17:43 He'd give her Novichok as soon as she arrived. We don't need that drama.
Or do we? No, we don't.

I'm pretty sure we don't need that drama.

Definitely pretty sure.
Maybe. Definitely maybe.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Well, mostly sure.

But I don't really want an international incident over an attack on an ambassador.

Now, if Trump were made ambassador to North Korea, I think I could live with that.

(Yes, I know, we don't have an embassy there. But does anyone think he knows that?)
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Yeah, I liked that article.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Best move on Biden's part would be to name Clinton to head up a Blue Ribbon Commission on cybersecurity.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:57 Best move on Biden's part would be to name Clinton to head up a Blue Ribbon Commission on cybersecurity.
See you take it too far and it gets not funny.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The "naughty little kid" part of me agrees that Russian Ambassador Clinton would be deeply hilarious, but the Boring Grownup Realpolitik part of me knows an ambassador must first and foremost be able to further her country's interests, and an Ambassador Clinton would have zero chance of that. Sigh.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Find a guy who happens to be named Jason Bourne and explain that he's the Designated Guy For Meeting Directly with Putin, Alone and with No Witnesses.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.