Revealed preferences time

If a COVID-19 vaccine comes out, when would you take it (assume covered by insurance and available)?

Day 1
35%
After a month
35%
After 6 months
18%
After a year
6%
After 2 years
No votes
Longer
No votes
Only if required
No votes
I wouldn’t even if required
6%

Total votes: 17

Mo

Revealed preferences time

Post by Mo »

I think our regulatory system for drugs is messed up, but I wouldn’t take the vaccine for at least a year or two after it came out because I’m worried about the slapdash regulatory process around it. Though admittedly, the fact that I had it before colors this. I am, however, concerned about it being required for my kids on day 1.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Highway

Re: Revealed preferences time

Post by Highway »

I'm all for as soon as possible, but I definitely have concerns about the level of care that's going into testing and certification of any vaccine. I think so much of the confidence is going to come from the reputation of the group making it, and supporting information about the testing processes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I'm waiting a few months. 3 min/max. Should see the immediate effects on some people who are going to not tolerate it well. Should give you an idea of long term risk.

Luckily the EU is going to try that stuff out first.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

The other thing I would note is that a lot is dependent on my risk profile. If I was DAR/RSN’s age I would move much closer to day 1. If I was 25 and healthy, I would wait a couple years. Things like working in a hospital (I.e. Pham) would also change my calculus
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I'm debating trying to sign up for the trial GW is running.
Warren

Post by Warren »

No way I'm letting them put that shit in me.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Day 1. If you can't trust Big Pharma, who can you trust?
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

...Isn't this literally declaring preferences?

I have no idea. Not first day, and I'd be following the news closely.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I'm a procrastinator, especially when it comes to non-critical medical matters. Plus I'm pretty sure I've already had the virus. So I would probably only get it if it were required to see a movie or a concert.

Also this thread should be called "Stated preferences time".
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Day one. TBF, I'm a first responder who doesn't want to infect his family.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Just don't cancel me for choosing the wrong preference!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I'd like to sign up for clinical trial. An experiment gone horribly wrong is my best shot at supervillain powers.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

My GF and my boss are both vulnerable, so I'd get it after one month, just to make sure there weren't any Day 0 bugs.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Dangerman wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 15:57 My GF and my boss are both vulnerable, so I'd get it after one month, just to make sure there weren't any Day 0 bugs.
Team Dangerman. If the vaccinated aren't dropping like flies within the first 30 days, I'll accept it as sufficiently safe. I can keep up the present levels of precautions for that bit of extra time.

Edit to add:
thoreau wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 14:43 I'd like to sign up for clinical trial. An experiment gone horribly wrong is my best shot at supervillain powers.
If there are mutant powers available, Team Thoreau. I want the ability to vaporize politicians tracelessly.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Aresen wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 16:50
thoreau wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 14:43 I'd like to sign up for clinical trial. An experiment gone horribly wrong is my best shot at supervillain powers.
If there are mutant powers available, Team Thoreau. I want the ability to vaporize politicians tracelessly.
I just want to smash observatories.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Relatively few people are gonna get to be vaccinated within the first thirty days anyway, probably.

I think they're trying to preemptively scale production up, but there are still limits.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jadagul wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 17:19 Relatively few people are gonna get to be vaccinated within the first thirty days anyway, probably.
Not counting, assuming they want to be vaccinated, politicians and their families, the wealthy and their families, celebrities and their families and, oh yeah, maybe first responders (but not their families) as well.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 18:04
Jadagul wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 17:19 Relatively few people are gonna get to be vaccinated within the first thirty days anyway, probably.
Not counting, assuming they want to be vaccinated, politicians and their families, the wealthy and their families, celebrities and their families and, oh yeah, maybe first responders (but not their families) as well.
Those are relatively few people!
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

There's no way that ER staff and paramedics will get vaccinated before politicians, celebrities, and other rich people. OK, maybe the paramedics who serve Martha's Vineyard and whatnot, but there's no fucking way an ordinary ER nurse is getting dibs on vaccinations.
--Mo
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I'd be expecting something on the order of 10-20m vaccines in the first month? Which is way more than just "rich people and celebrities", but way less than everyone who wants one.

But I only have a vague sense for those numbers, and a lot of details matter.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

As soon at it's convenient for me and I'm not bumping someone else who has a greater need for it. That should also be after a enough time has gone by that they are fairly confident there are no serious side effects.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I've never bought the Version 1.0 of any technology, preferring to wait for later models after the initial bugs have been worked out. (Granted, that's also in part because Version 1.0 of any tech is always considerably more expensive than later "established technology" versions, which I doubt will be the case with a vaccine.) Still, unless for some reason I absolutely HAD to suddenly start going out in dense crowds again, or start working in a hospital or similar setting, I'd rather not get the vaccine right away even if it were immediately available to me; I'll wait until a few rounds of other people went first, without problems.

ETA: Plus what Painboy said.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Mo

Post by Mo »

Hugh Akston wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 14:18 I'm a procrastinator, especially when it comes to non-critical medical matters. Plus I'm pretty sure I've already had the virus. So I would probably only get it if it were required to see a movie or a concert.

Also this thread should be called "Stated preferences time".
Well the underlying preference it shows is regarding drug approvals and if you think an accelerated process is worth about the same as the normal one.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 18:46 I've never bought the Version 1.0 of any technology, preferring to wait for later models after the initial bugs have been worked out. (Granted, that's also in part because Version 1.0 of any tech is always considerably more expensive than later "established technology" versions, which I doubt will be the case with a vaccine.) Still, unless for some reason I absolutely HAD to suddenly start going out in dense crowds again, or start working in a hospital or similar setting, I'd rather not get the vaccine right away even if it were immediately available to me; I'll wait until a few rounds of other people went first, without problems.
That's a very good point. One thing that is not at all clear to me is whether there is just going to be one vaccine or many. The news reports seem to indicate that just about every country/company is working on its own vaccine. I don't know if the information is being shared or if the work is at all collaborative.

[A choice of vaccines would probably be a good thing.]
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

There are six distinct vaccines currently in Phase III trials. And like a few dozen more in earlier stages in the pipeline.