Corona Capitalism

JasonL

Corona Capitalism

Post by JasonL »

That stuff you tried and love or hate while living the 'rona life.

Do Like: Factor prepared meals. Especially while i'm doing surgical recovery, it is a high quality way to do portion control and eat not bad food. Just do microwave, the oven over cooks everything.

Love: my online butcher. I use Porter Road. I get a recurring order but they allow them to spread out to 8 weeks, which is better for only 2 people. Can customize each order. Great meat. My only complaint is they don't allow you to specify thicker cuts for premium steaks. They are typically 1".

Love: MasterClass. Ever expanding content and I find much of it interesting.

No Bueno: Imperfect Foods - they do food waste reduction by delivering "ugly" produce. Sounded great. 2 boxes received. Rotten vegetables like fully liquified cukes in both.

No Bueno: i related my Hello Fresh experience in another thread. Was gifted 8 meals and they wouldn't let me use 8 meals without signing up for a paid subscription, then the food arrived and everything was saturated. Food was ok but not great. I quibble with their methodology too, they don't really allow you to "learn to cook" it's more like assembling their mystery packet of this into the bowl with that other thing and magic sauce appears. It probably is useful for learning to sear things. Overall, if you cook at all, I don't get this at the price point. Factor serves a purpose for me because it's 2 minutes in the microwave.
Highway

Re: Corona Capitalism

Post by Highway »

The "ugly" produce thing is bullshit / a scam. As recounted by multiple people on twitter, the idea that there is produce that is just left to rot unused solely because it doesn't look good enough for a produce display is complete bunk, because there are multiple processed uses for everything. It doesn't matter how they look. If there's someone trying to sell 'ugly' produce, they're basically trying to set up a vertical integration / sell directly to customers for higher margins, rather than sell on the more commodified market. And they're doing it with a lame emotional appeal. If that produce was "wasted" before, it was because the growers were fucking up.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Highway wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 09:48 The "ugly" produce thing is bullshit / a scam. As recounted by multiple people on twitter, the idea that there is produce that is just left to rot unused solely because it doesn't look good enough for a produce display is complete bunk, because there are multiple processed uses for everything. It doesn't matter how they look. If there's someone trying to sell 'ugly' produce, they're basically trying to set up a vertical integration / sell directly to customers for higher margins, rather than sell on the more commodified market. And they're doing it with a lame emotional appeal. If that produce was "wasted" before, it was because the growers were fucking up.
I should not have been taken by this but I was. Sigh.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Good for us: We've been using Hello Fresh for over a year, and have actually quite enjoyed it, recent shipping issues notwithstanding. We actually increased our amount of meals from them to 5 per week since very early in the pandemic, and have not failed to make any of them. I do like that there are flavor combinations that I would not have known about, thought of, or even considered, but because of the source I'll go along with it. Like last night we had chicken breasts with a breading of panko, walnuts, cinnamon, and paprika, and it was really good. I just wouldn't have ever gone there without that kind of push.

Good: Drizly - deliveries from liquor stores. Have always been reliable, do a good job with presenting available items from multiple local stores, allows you to set up deliveries from multiple stores, or limit to just one store. Deliveries at set times, very on time.

Meh: Instacart - Used during the height of the pandemic stay-at-home in MD, so a lot of the impressions are hurt by inconsistent store stock. But it was sometimes difficult to communicate what you want, especially in the case of a replacement item. And other times, they just pull the wrong thing. For instance, we ended up with 9 dollars of unreturnable Kraft Mac and Cheese microwavable cups because they misunderstood what we wanted. Inconsistency in delivery times was also a problem, as your order goes into a queue and will be delivered sometime in the next... few days? Maybe? Maybe early in the day, or late. One time it was done while we were out, and sat on the porch for a couple hours (thankfully before it was super hot). Haven't used them since stores here have been less restrictive about entrance.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Highway wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 09:48 The "ugly" produce thing is bullshit / a scam. As recounted by multiple people on twitter, the idea that there is produce that is just left to rot unused solely because it doesn't look good enough for a produce display is complete bunk, because there are multiple processed uses for everything.
Do you have a link for this? Because I've seen the 'ugly produce can't be sold' claim made by farmers in a couple if different places.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Highway

Post by Highway »

Highway

Post by Highway »

Dr. Sarah Taber does have her own axes that she frequently grinds, but when Imperfect Foods (one of the sellers of Ugly produce) comes out and says "She's right, but farmers lose money if they have to sell as livestock feed" to me, that's giving the game away: It's not about food waste, it's capturing more profit for some farmers.

ETA: One of the things she is frequently talking about on twitter (and in that article) is ways that individual farmers can work together to increase their markets and marketing power, but they don't do it because most "farmers" are just landowners who want to put the least amount of effort into their operations and don't mind the "oh we're struggling so much, don't you feel guilty about it?" impression.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Interesting stuff. I always sort of suspected that ugly produce had potential in processing and wondered why it wasn't going that way.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JD

Post by JD »

We've been getting deliveries of "ugly" produce from Misfits, and we like it. I was under no particular impression that this stuff was getting wasted, but I like having the fruit and vegetable deliveries because it's making me eat more of them. Left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't buy some kale and garlic scapes and oranges, but if it gets delivered to us we're going to eat it.

And speaking of delivery stuff, we're trying out Pretty Litter, which is a kind of cat litter that supposedly indicates certain health conditions through a pH-sensitive color change. It's a non-clumping silica type; we didn't like the last non-clumping crystal type we used, because it didn't absorb for shit, no pun intended, so you ended up with still-moist poop and a gross urine-sodden layer at the bottom. But the Pretty Litter seems really good at absorbing moisture, so the poop is dried out and the urine is thoroughly absorbed. Having it automatically delivered is kind of nice too, not that we couldn't get that with any other kind of litter. It's very light, which is nicer than having to heave heavy boxes of the old stuff around, although the slight downside to that is that it's easier for them to kick out of the box. Seems pretty dust-free so far.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Shem

Post by Shem »

I go with grocery delivery from Safeway specifically because InstaCart seemed to suck. Safeway uses actual stock clerks to fill the orders, so they know where everything is and what alternatives are available.

I also have been using a meal delivery program called Hungryroot. It's almost like a mix between a meal service and a grocery delivery; they send you a bunch of stuff that's almost like the sorts of premade stuff you can get from the grocery, along with a suggestion on how to mix them to make a full meal. They also offer snacks to go along with the meals, which is good since fiancee does a lot of "eating small stuff several times a day" because work doesn't really allow for a full meal.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Warren

Post by Warren »

Life has not changed for me at all really. I live in the middle of nowhere and never leave the house except to shop for necessities. Even though my SO is an accountant, and could do her job from home, her office stayed open because nobody out here got the rona save a handful of people living in institutional housing.

I don't know how many people don't wear masks because MAGA. I notice more people are in the past couple of weeks. And everybody working retail is. Though it really annoys me how many don't keep it over their nose or even on their face but still have it on. Like I wouldn't care if you weren't wearing it, but if you have to wear it for the job, why haven't they fired you yet?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:08Though it really annoys me how many don't keep it over their nose or even on their face but still have it on. Like I wouldn't care if you weren't wearing it, but if you have to wear it for the job, why haven't they fired you yet?
Jesus yes. Like, if you don't want to wear it go full commando. If you're gonna wear it wear it.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Mo

Post by Mo »

Hugh Akston wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 12:06 Interesting stuff. I always sort of suspected that ugly produce had potential in processing and wondered why it wasn't going that way.
Yeah it’s kinda like how shredded cheese isn’t wasteful, but just the use of leftover cuts of blocks of cheese.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

lunchstealer wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:20
Warren wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:08Though it really annoys me how many don't keep it over their nose or even on their face but still have it on. Like I wouldn't care if you weren't wearing it, but if you have to wear it for the job, why haven't they fired you yet?
Jesus yes. Like, if you don't want to wear it go full commando. If you're gonna wear it wear it.
Confession: If I'm outside but not close to anyone, you'll probably see me with a mask half-on. I hate having my glasses fogged up. So I'll walk around half-covered, but once I'm within 20 feet of a person I'll cover up and keep it fully on until I'm a suitable distance from them again.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

thoreau wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 19:11
lunchstealer wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:20
Confession: If I'm outside but not close to anyone, you'll probably see me with a mask half-on. I hate having my glasses fogged up. So I'll walk around half-covered, but once I'm within 20 feet of a person I'll cover up and keep it fully on until I'm a suitable distance from them again.
That's totally reasonable and in fact is basically the guideline.

In an indoors (public) space, it's different, and you should wear the mask continuously.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Well, yeah. It stays on inside. Unless there's two of us in a big ventilated room and we're far apart and near different open doors. (Which is a common situation in a certain lab that I have to spend time in because reasons.)

But for some Karens it might not be enough to be unmasked outside, even far from others.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
JD

Post by JD »

We got another Misfits delivery today. I like it but they're going to have to make some adjustments. For example, it is of no use to send me one sweet potato about the size of a duck's egg.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I honestly cant believe how much easier life seems with Amazon. Traveller and I arent going to supermarkets as much anymore. We have a .... different... way of communicating so just looking at the Amazon list from the other is really helpful. And I'm debating about taking up some farmers market delivery app thingie to get more produce in the household.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
dhex

Post by dhex »

i bought a five pound bag of coffee from my favorite MD roaster in may, which is a fair amount of coffee. that's about it. we're doing the same amount of pickling as other summers.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 20:22 Well, yeah. It stays on inside. Unless there's two of us in a big ventilated room and we're far apart and near different open doors. (Which is a common situation in a certain lab that I have to spend time in because reasons.)

But for some Karens it might not be enough to be unmasked outside, even far from others.
And those karens should be lightly immolated.

Can't speak for elsewhere, but Colorado's mask order covers indoor spaces, public transit, ride-sharing/taxis/etc, and train platforms and bus stops.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Yeah no outside masks. It's fcking 93F and 95,000% humidity. If anyone is going to insist on that they are going to get rebellion.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I'm not sure it counts as capitalism when it's government money, but I think it's awesome that the pandemic finally pushed a lot of places into accepting EBT for online orders.

Sadly, I only have WIC right now so I still have to go into the stores just as much as ever, but oh well, maybe one day.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD