Random covid-19 observations

Pham Nuwen

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Pham Nuwen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 12:37 It's a shame that, being black, he never got close enough to the president to cough on him.
Brutal.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

Ellie wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 12:43 For real though I think the best evidence that Covid-19 isn't that contagious is that Trump hasn't gotten it yet. (Also the best evidence that you can't influence reality by "putting your intentions out to the universe)
Between the fact that Trump is a massive germophobe and the fact that his behavior suggests he doesn't actually have much contact with his staff, I'm not sure it demonstrates that.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 13:04
Ellie wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 12:43 For real though I think the best evidence that Covid-19 isn't that contagious is that Trump hasn't gotten it yet. (Also the best evidence that you can't influence reality by "putting your intentions out to the universe)
Between the fact that Trump is a massive germophobe and the fact that his behavior suggests he doesn't actually have much contact with his staff, I'm not sure it demonstrates that.
Also, he'd been wearing PPE for some time off-camera.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 11:00 Remember less than a month ago, when Herman Cain had to be hospitalized for covid-19 barely 20 hours after another one of his idiotic anti-mask tweets?

He's dead now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/former- ... bMUjmw2mKY
Nein! Nein! Nein!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Eric the .5b wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 17:44
What? Really?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:21
Eric the .5b wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 17:44
What? Really?
Yeah, it first came up in May at a Ford plant tour. Basically, whenever he was out of the White House and not actively speaking or in front of cameras, he had on a mask.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Any links to stories? I'm not being an ass. I'm just genuinely curious.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm mobile right now, but Google provides, especially if you restrict results to before June.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Valis is not 2020 lit. PKD doesn't go NEARLY far enough.

SuburbanWhitestyleDreamHat

Our local family Mexican place, which is serving NC on the patio, is big on table side guacamole. Now they do it by zoom.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dhex

Post by dhex »

lunchstealer wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 02:03 Valis is not 2020 lit. PKD doesn't go NEARLY far enough.

SuburbanWhitestyleDreamHat

Our local family Mexican place, which is serving NC on the patio, is big on table side guacamole. Now they do it by zoom.
Hmmmmmmmm yes fair point.

Valis is also more emotionally honest than 2020 which is impressive considering pkd was literally insane.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Warren

Post by Warren »

IDK I have only limited experience with the literally insane but they seem more emotionally honest than most sane people I know.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Dammit, Ken buried the lede on that one soooooo bad, too.

Click through to see the full picture of the hand sanitizer.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

Efforts on getting people to wear masks during the 1918 pandemic: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/m ... -1918.html

tl;dr: it was exactly the same as now, with a lot of people not wearing them out of laziness, people claiming they didn't actually work, there were anti-mask movements, etc.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 14:40 Efforts on getting people to wear masks during the 1918 pandemic: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/m ... -1918.html

tl;dr: it was exactly the same as now, with a lot of people not wearing them out of laziness, people claiming they didn't actually work, there were anti-mask movements, etc.
I'm reminded of the people tutting and going on about how Londoners complied with blackout rules during the Blitz. Because nobody remembers how they had to have air raid wardens patrol neighborhoods and threaten people with arrest in order to get them to turn off their lights when bombs were falling on their city.
Mo

Post by Mo »

I’m a week in but quarantine in a small hotel room in Singapore suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Especially on the weekend. At least during the week work kept me busy and distracted.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

FWIW, in my part of the country (suburban Atlanta), it appears the hand sanitizer shortage is over. I had to go to the CVS pharmacy yesterday to fill some prescriptions; on the actual pharmacy counter itself, where the health-related impulse purchases were, they had small-ish bottles of sanitizer in various colors, branded with various Disney characters and presumably aimed mainly at children; when you turn to leave the pharmacy counter the endcap of the aisle directly across from it was entirely sanitizers -- liquids and gels, in a variety of brands and sizes.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Still holding out for an end to the shortage of clorox/lysol wipes. They aren't the prime way I clean, but there are certain applications where they are superior to all the other options in the room.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 12:24 Still holding out for an end to the shortage of clorox/lysol wipes. They aren't the prime way I clean, but there are certain applications where they are superior to all the other options in the room.
as long as you're not flushing them
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Makes sense. We've had enough time to scale up sanitizer production, people have gotten less careful, and also we've learned that contact isn't the/a primary mode of transmission. So hand sanitizer is way less important than we thought it was back in March/April.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 13:29
lunchstealer wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 12:24 Still holding out for an end to the shortage of clorox/lysol wipes. They aren't the prime way I clean, but there are certain applications where they are superior to all the other options in the room.
as long as you're not flushing them
Oh herll no. TP and liquids/colloids are all that go down our drains if we can help it*. Flushable wipes aren't, and these are for house/kitchen cleaning, so they get treated like paper towels, not TP.

*And the odd spider/moth/whatever that's too dumb to get out of the tub when the two-legs are present.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Not sure if this would help, but: while Jeff and I have yet to find any actual Clorox or Lysol-branded wipes, we HAVE had much luck getting grocery store-brand; right now, in addition to the one already-open Publix canister we keep in our "sanitation station" just inside our front door, we also have three or four unopened ones in our bathroom storage closet/alcove. And a couple of smaller, pricier canisters from some small company whose name I don't recall, and at the moment I'm too lazy to get up, go into the bathroom and see what brand it is.

ETA: massive typos. Holy shit.
Last edited by Jennifer on 10 Aug 2020, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I make a pass down that aisle and neither safeway nor off-brand Kroger have had even store brand in stock. TP and paper towels are almost always in stock although the Kroger was always cleaned out for a couple weeks recently, but what brands are available and in what sizes has been wildly fluctuating.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Yeah, everyone and their brother that could come up with a source of alcohol got on the hand sanitizer train. That's easy to put together. The disinfectant wipes are a lot harder.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 13:45 I make a pass down that aisle and neither safeway nor off-brand Kroger have had even store brand in stock. TP and paper towels are almost always in stock although the Kroger was always cleaned out for a couple weeks recently, but what brands are available and in what sizes has been wildly fluctuating.
Same here. I thought it was because Victoria was at the far end of the supply chain.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Another possible variable -- besides the obvious differences in where I live and where you-all do -- what time have you been visiting the stores, relative to their opening? Due to Jeff's second shift schedule, even on the days he works, he has plenty of time to visit the store relatively early in the morning, within an hour or two of their opening (especially since most businesses in our area, anecdotally speaking, are keeping reduced hours compared to pre-pandemic norms, opening later and closing earlier). As for me, I rarely do the shopping since this started, but the only time I did and came back with a relatively "good score" -- large pack of national-brand toilet paper, when the TP shortage was going on -- it so happened I was there relatively early for me -- around two in the afternoon, compared to my usual shopping hours of "just before 5 p.m. and the accompanying after-work rush hour," and even THEN, the TP pack I grabbed was the very last one in the aisle (except for one which had been torn open, and had one roll missing).

Point is, Jeff's fairly impressive track record of finding disinfectant wipes -- I just checked, and our storage closet contains one 75-count of Publix store brand, a 75-count of Kroger "Home Sense" brand, and two 35-count canisters of a brand called "Second Generation," plus the already open canister we keep near the front door (by now it's likely less than half-full).

Thought: if liquid alcohol hand sanitizer is easy for you to buy, perhaps you could use that plus paper towels, or even washable reusable rags, to make DIY wipes, at least for home use?