Random covid-19 observations

Aresen

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Aresen »

nicole wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 12:00
I basically spend the entire summer getting angry every time I see someone in long sleeves, I hate people who aren't hot all the time, I hate them so much.
On bright sunny days, I wear light long sleeved shirts to keep the sun off my arms if I have to be outdoors. It may be warmer, but it reduces total exposure to the sun. I learned the hard way the more exposed skin, the greater the likelihood of sunstroke.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

dhex wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 12:07
Totally fair. Central air fixes this issue for me tho. It's 78 all day every day.
78? You just may be a monster.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole »

Number 6 wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 13:25
dhex wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 12:07
Totally fair. Central air fixes this issue for me tho. It's 78 all day every day.
78? You just may be a monster.
Yeah I'm like lol the existence of temps as high as 78 is a war crime
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

Aresen wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 13:14
nicole wrote:
I basically spend the entire summer getting angry every time I see someone in long sleeves, I hate people who aren't hot all the time, I hate them so much.
On bright sunny days, I wear light long sleeved shirts to keep the sun off my arms if I have to be outdoors. It may be warmer, but it reduces total exposure to the sun. I learned the hard way the more exposed skin, the greater the likelihood of sunstroke.
Yeah, light colored cloth that's breathable is much better than going sleeveless if you need to be in the sun. It feels a little warmer until you're used to it, but not having the sun heating all the blood that's under your exposed skin is much better for regulating core temperature. There's a reason Bedouins dress that way in the desert.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dhex

Post by dhex »

I dunno I wear a lot of linen. And when it's one hundo outside 78 feels like 44. It's glorious.

I do wear jeans in the summer because of horse flies. It sucks but horse flies suck more. Literally. Figuratively.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yeah, I've taken to wearing a fair amount of loose fitting linen in Summer, too. I probably won't put on a pair of long pants or jeans until October. But then I'm basically spending all my time either out by the pool or in my office or driving somewhere to pick up something with roadside service.

Both my wife and younger son have very light, sun sensitive skin, so they wear lots of Columbia and similar brand SPF shirts and such. My wife seems to be a magnet for insects of all sorts, so she gets the insect-repellent stuff, too. It's not anywhere close to 100% effective, but it seems to work well enough to be worth the cost.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I do t-shirts all year long (adding layers in winter). I use to do the short pants, but for the past couple of summers I've been more concerned about stuff getting on my legs that makes me scratch them so I've been wearing the jeans even in the heat.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Shem wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 13:47
Aresen wrote:
nicole wrote:
Yeah, light colored cloth that's breathable is much better than going sleeveless if you need to be in the sun. It feels a little warmer until you're used to it, but not having the sun heating all the blood that's under your exposed skin is much better for regulating core temperature. There's a reason Bedouins dress that way in the desert.
The cloth also wicks your sweat very effectively which is very nice.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Clearly, the solution is to extinguish the sun.
Can we get some guys on that?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 13:47
Aresen wrote:
nicole wrote:
Apparently even dark colored cloth can be advantageous, because while the part that's in sunlight will absorb more sunlight energy, the part that's not won't reflect your body heat back at you. Wanna say Mo mentioned something about that, so he may want to weigh in.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Number 6 wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 17:57
https://frinkiac.com/video/S06E25/dFtzb ... LOocM=.mp4
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Number 6 wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 17:57
Some scientists believe that the sun could pose a direct threat to the oil industry. There are ecoterrorists who have declared their support for the sun.

What's the point of having a Space Force if it isn't attacking this direct threat to our vital national interests?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

IMO, even linen clothes are too hot for local (Georgia) summers (though muy, muy better than cotton fabric of equal weight); when I have to go outdoors (or if the AC were to break) I wear rayon, which holds no body heat at ALL. So in direct sunlight, long legs and long sleeves made of rayon actually keep you a tiny bit cooler than if those limbs were bare, because you're wearing your own portable source of shade. (Right now, I'm actually wearing linen -- but I am inside and it is extremely unlikely I'll be going outdoors today.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

nicole wrote:
Even a little bit of hair on my ears or neck bothers me, so I spend every summer having a similar knee-jerk annoyance anytime I see someone wearing their long hair loose. TIE THAT SHIT UP IN A PONYTAIL, I'M GETTING SWEATY JUST LOOKING AT YOU
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Mo

Post by Mo »

I’m going to a country where the record low since 1929 is 66 degrees. Not looking forward to that.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway »

Ellie wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 19:16
nicole wrote:
Even a little bit of hair on my ears or neck bothers me, so I spend every summer having a similar knee-jerk annoyance anytime I see someone wearing their long hair loose. TIE THAT SHIT UP IN A PONYTAIL, I'M GETTING SWEATY JUST LOOKING AT YOU
I wear a ponytail more and more frequently now because of this. "ugh, the back of my neck just won't dry out!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

This gets quoted around our house frequently.

SoCal is too damn sunny.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote:
I’m going to a country where the record low since 1929 is 66 degrees. Not looking forward to that.
Lol yeah every time you mention that I’m just like “lol places I would never live due to weather.”

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

Ellie wrote:
nicole wrote:
100%

Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 19:33
Ellie wrote:
nicole wrote:
I wear a ponytail more and more frequently now because of this. "ugh, the back of my neck just won't dry out!"
Get a haircut hippie!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Remember less than a month ago, when Herman Cain had to be hospitalized for covid-19 barely 20 hours after another one of his idiotic anti-mask tweets?

He's dead now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/former- ... bMUjmw2mKY
Last edited by Jennifer on 30 Jul 2020, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I predicted his death. I feel bad about being correct.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I've seen a lot of tasteless comments about his death but few mention the pizza.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

It's a shame that, being black, he never got close enough to the president to cough on him.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

For real though I think the best evidence that Covid-19 isn't that contagious is that Trump hasn't gotten it yet. (Also the best evidence that you can't influence reality by "putting your intentions out to the universe)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD