Random covid-19 observations

dbcooper

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by dbcooper »

Aha!

I think the low prices are due to exports for hotels and restaurants being down, combined with lack of access to alternative markets (e.g. USA retail).
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I never thought I'd say this, but: I miss crowds. Find myself feeling wistful watching crowd scenes in movies or TV -- I recently watched the Halloween episode of "Bless the Harts" (an absolutely brilliant episode which made me fall in love with the show), and much of it takes place at a big raucous rednecky Halloween party (the type which, pre-pandemic, I would not have wanted to go to), and I found myself thinking "I wish I could be there." I even felt wistful during the winter-carnival scenes in Shazam, with a supervillain plus incarnations of the Deadly Sins running around threatening everybody. And the Piccadilly Circus scenes at the end of "American Werewolf in London."

I wish I could go someplace -- at night, of course, because it's summer and I'm in Georgia -- where there are lots of people and activity. But, of course, nothing like that is going on and even if it were, I could not go.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I just don't know what to say to that, Jennigul.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm not to the point of missing working in the office, but I miss every other way of getting out of the house and vicinity. Especially seeing family.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Number 6 wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 14:39
I just don't know what to say to that, Jennigul.
Just to clarify: I wouldn't want to deal with a ravenous werewolf, or physical incarnations of the Seven Deadly Sins going on a supernatural rampage -- but, people! Activity! Colored lights driving back the darkness WITHOUT giving me sunburn!

And if I were younger, and single, there was also the additional possibility of "Who knows -- maybe I'll chance to meet somebody who turns out to be The One." But none of that is going on now (or, where it is, it's too dangerous, and if I were still looking for The One, I wouldn't want one stupid enough to go).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo »

Eric the .5b wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:59
I'm not to the point of missing working in the office, but I miss every other way of getting out of the house and vicinity. Especially seeing family.
I miss the office. It's especially stark because I have a new team.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Mo wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 07:55
Eric the .5b wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:59
I miss the office. It's especially stark because I have a new team.
Oh how the turntables.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Finally got a haircut for the first time since at least January (maybe it was right before Christmas) and it just feels so much better.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

it's the undergrowth

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

My dad had curly hair, and I didn’t realize until this year I also have curly hair to some extent.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

My hair is driving me nuts. But I haven't quite gotten to the point of having mrs lunch attack it with the dog clippers. But I'm reaching critical mass on that.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Seeing a bunch of travel ads (hotels dot com, southwest air) on the tv this evening for the first time in forever (that I have noticed)

(seen some ‘destination’ ones well before now, e.g Ocean City, MD, and Maryland overall, but with the theme ‘we’re not open now, but will be ready for you when we are’)

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I wonder how many people who work on ships are stuck on them, with no hope of returning to land?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dbcooper wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 20:02
I wonder how many people who work on ships are stuck on them, with no hope of returning to land?
You mean other than the Pirates of the Caribbean?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex

Post by dhex »

Kolohe wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 22:28
Seeing a bunch of travel ads (hotels dot com, southwest air) on the tv this evening for the first time in forever (that I have noticed)

(seen some ‘destination’ ones well before now, e.g Ocean City, MD, and Maryland overall, but with the theme ‘we’re not open now, but will be ready for you when we are’)
I wonder if ocean city regrets their big digital push given the bumps we're seeing in MD.

Probably not?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 06:26
Kolohe wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 22:28

I wonder if ocean city regrets their big digital push given the bumps we're seeing in MD.

Probably not?
Now there's a place that gets regular mentions on Cum Town.

dhex

Post by dhex »

There's a reason for that. It's beachfront people of Walmart.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Is cum town next to tent city?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

Everyone else on my video call rn is wearing long sleeves and I'm confused and angered by this.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex »

I wear long sleeves for importanter calls and roll them up like today.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I'm trying to remember to put on gym shorts and a t-shirt before my conference call, but we do ours exclusively as screen-sharing not as face-on-video things. Thank fucking god.

I do try and be wearing actual clothes though just because I think there's a psychological component to ... well not just being in your underwear.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 11:46
I'm trying to remember to put on gym shorts and a t-shirt before my conference call, but we do ours exclusively as screen-sharing not as face-on-video things. Thank fucking god.

I do try and be wearing actual clothes though just because I think there's a psychological component to ... well not just being in your underwear.
Random moaning and gasps during the call will greatly change the atmosphere.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

I basically spend the entire summer getting angry every time I see someone in long sleeves, I hate people who aren't hot all the time, I hate them so much.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex »

Totally fair. Central air fixes this issue for me tho. It's 78 all day every day.