Random covid-19 observations

dead_elvis

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by dead_elvis »

Highway wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 15:39
or whatever other terrible flavors they have.
There are probably multiple security videos out there over the years of me angrily chucking an almost-full bottle of vanilla coke at a sidewalk garbage can. I don't know how anyone can drink that stuff but if they have to sell it they should please make the bottle *much* more different than it is because at least once a year I buy one thinking it's regular.

I've never understood why they don't make ginger coke as a product, I occasionally make it myself via infusion overnight and it's delish!
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 17:34
Painboy wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 16:58
As I understand it a surprising amount of cola products, including the big ones, are actually handled by local bottling plants. So my WAG is that it may be just local supply chain issues.
Used to be the case that pretty much all such sodas were distributed by "your local [Coca-Cola / Pepsi Cola] bottler." I think especially with the rise of canned drinks and disposable plastic bottles that's mostly a thing of the past, but I always imagined as a kid some Brinks truck pulling up in the dead of night to our "local X bottler" to drop off a supply of the secret formula syrup.
They've actually moved back to that model, though even before 2017, they had bottling plants around the country. We've had one in my town for at least twenty years.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

dead_elvis wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 18:24
Highway wrote:
There are probably multiple security videos out there over the years of me angrily chucking an almost-full bottle of vanilla coke at a sidewalk garbage can. I don't know how anyone can drink that stuff but if they have to sell it they should please make the bottle *much* more different than it is because at least once a year I buy one thinking it's regular.

I've never understood why they don't make ginger coke as a product, I occasionally make it myself via infusion overnight and it's delish!
This is exactly how I feel about sparkling water in Italy.

I don't think I've ever had vanilla Coke, and I'm morbidly curious. I do genuinely like Cherry Coke, even though I like very few other soft drinks.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 18:32
dead_elvis wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 18:24
Highway wrote:

This is exactly how I feel about sparkling water in Italy.

I don't think I've ever had vanilla Coke, and I'm morbidly curious. I do genuinely like Cherry Coke, even though I like very few other soft drinks.
I assume it's like how lime + Coke is delicious, but "lime Coke" is disgusting.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Oh my God, ginger Coke sounds sooooo good.

I actually really love the lime Diet Coke, even though it's true that it tastes nothing like putting a lime in a Diet Coke. It's a weird fakey taste, but one I can't get enough of.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

They actually test-marketed Ginger Coke in the Upside Down.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Speaking of carbonated ginger beverages.
Ginger Beer used in the making of Moscow Mules and its variants, or even just simply over ice, needs to have significantly more bite than your bog standard Ginger Ale. They put some weak-ass shit in bottles and call it Ginger Beer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

There are now, as one might have guessed, craft, small-batch soft drink companies springing up to meet a previously nonexistent demand. My guess is that anything that starts to get real market penetration is snapped up by one of the major companies, the rest are happily scraping by at inflated prices in niche markets. Back in the day, Nehi, now owned by Dr Pepper, used to offer unusual flavored sodas: peach, watermelon, etc. I never see Nehi any longer, but then I don't shop much for soft drinks.

Oh, and given the topic, let me once again assert that as ginger flavored drinks go, Vernors sucks ass.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I was at the store the other day, and they had a big sale on 2L Coke products - $0.79, so like '80s prices - and had clearly JUST restocked the shelves because there weren't any empty slots or even slots where the bottles had fallen over.

There were all flavors available.

Coke
Cherry Coke
Diet Coke
Cherry Coke Zero
Caffeine Free Coke
Caffeine Free Diet Coke

wait wtf no Coke Zero? Like it's not even sold out just you guys never put it there?

Also Mtn Dew Zero has never made an appearance in greater Frontrangia that I have seen. As a guy who self-medicates with Caffeine but can't really afford to be drinking two liters of corn syrup per day, I have to make do with Diet Mtn Dew, and ... I'd really like for there to be an equivalent to Coke Zero in that space.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Mountain Dew Zero was only out for a few weeks in the Before Times, but it was a step up from Diet Mountain Dew. I saw that at someone who has been known to plow through 5 or 6 diet dews a day.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I just bought Mountain Dew Zero for the first time last week (I guess that explains where it all went -- diverted up north to the land of the Lutherans) and did not enjoy it. Every sip initially tastes like regular Dew but then a second later tastes like diet Dew. It's schizophrenic soda, I tell you!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I once had a Coke Zero handed to me on the Strip in Vegas. (I think they were just rolling it out.) I thought it was gawd-awful & could not finish the can. I prefer Coke Classic, but honestly couldn't tell it from Pepsi most of the time.

Schweppes Ginger Ale is my soft drink of choice, followed by Canada Dry.

I do not drink 'Diet' soft drinks of any kind.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway »

I just cannot drink non-diet sodas now. They're far too clingy and sweet. I don't really drink the Coke Zero even. I stick with a can of Diet Coke in the morning (around 9), and then maybe a can of Caffeine-Free Diet Coke in the afternoon.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Highway wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 14:35
I don't know if anyone else drinks enough 'fringe' Coke products to notice, but all of the stores around here have only 4 Coca-Cola branded sodas available: Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, and Sprite. No flavors, no caffeine-free colas, no anything besides those 4. And since my wife mainly drinks Cherry Coke Zero and Caffeine-Free Coke Zero, she's pretty annoyed about it. There was a similar, but not as bad, contraction in availability back in late March, early April, but that seemed like more of a general shortage / lack of inventory. This is full shelves of those 4 items.
We have notices a shortage of caffeine free colas (both coke & pepsi) in 12 oz cans cause that’s what my wife drinks, but we have found 2 liter bottles.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

At the Safeway grocery store the last couple of weeks, plenty of beef and pork available, but not a thing is on it’s normal club card ‘sale’.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The good news: the Kroger nearest me has one employee on staff whose job is to sanitize the handles of shopping carts before passing them on to customers.

The bad news: when I ventured out to that Kroger a couple days ago (my first visit to a grocery store since ... um ... I honestly can't remember), the staff member in question wore his earloop mask suspended off one ear, exposing his entire face, while he loudly laughed and called out to various friends of his some distance away.

(Fortunately, since I was only there for one item Jeff couldn't get at what is now our "usual" store, I was able to bypass him and the entire cart corral altogether.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The only non-diet soda I ever have is little bottles of Dr. Pepper with sugar. But then, I don't drink much soda, anymore.
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 05 Jul 2020, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Son of a bitch!! You're all hopped up on The Dew!! No wonder you people are so strange!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 09:14
Son of a bitch!! You're all hopped up on The Dew!! No wonder you people are so strange!
Anarchy! I don't know what it means, but I like the way it sounds!
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Kolohe wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 15:23
At the Safeway grocery store the last couple of weeks, plenty of beef and pork available, but not a thing is on it’s normal club card ‘sale’.
Yeah, ground beef has been 1.5x its normal actual buy-with-card price, but a pretty good choice rib was $7.89/lb so my 4th of July involved good food.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Currently paying the equivalent of $6.25/lb for well marbled, grass-fed striploin here.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:40
Currently paying the equivalent of $6.25/lb for well marbled, grass-fed striploin here.
Oh yeah? What is dry ice going for there? See if you can get it priced by the skid.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 00:03
dbcooper wrote:
Oh yeah? What is dry ice going for there? See if you can get it priced by the skid.
I'm going to have to ask you to explain the joke.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Oh wow. Tread carefully there db. Hes a bitcoin baron. That guy could cyber you so hard.

I assume bitcoin peeps use the word cyber from time to time. I may have misused it above.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 00:10
Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 00:03
dbcooper wrote:
I'm going to have to ask you to explain the joke.
I thought I spotted an arbitrage opportunity.

ETA
Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 00:14
I assume bitcoin peeps use the word cyber from time to time. I may have misused it above.
We do. Maybe not as much as we use the word crypto. As in, I'm going to encrypt your face. Notice how it's conjugated as a verb there.
Last edited by Warren on 07 Jul 2020, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT