Random covid-19 observations

nicole

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by nicole »

Definitely not, why would anything be a requirement that’s not in the frame?

I have done multiple virtual events now in a blazer and shorts. Full makeup and flip flops.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Oh wow. You are the meme I want to see in this world.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lololololololol
The federal government is stuck with 63 million doses of hydroxychloroquine now that the US Food and Drug Administration has revoked permission for the drug to be distributed to treat coronavirus patients.

The government started stockpiling donated hydroxychloroquine in late March, after President Trump touted it as "very encouraging" and "very powerful" and a "game-changer."

But Monday, the FDA revoked its emergency use authorization to use the drug to treat Covid-19, saying there was "no reason to believe" the drug was effective against the virus, and that it increased the risk of side effects, including heart problems.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway »

Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 12:38
lololololololol
The federal government is stuck with 63 million doses of hydroxychloroquine now that the US Food and Drug Administration has revoked permission for the drug to be distributed to treat coronavirus patients.

The government started stockpiling donated hydroxychloroquine in late March, after President Trump touted it as "very encouraging" and "very powerful" and a "game-changer."

But Monday, the FDA revoked its emergency use authorization to use the drug to treat Covid-19, saying there was "no reason to believe" the drug was effective against the virus, and that it increased the risk of side effects, including heart problems.
I think we should give them all to Jared Kushner, since it's probably his fault they stockpiled them.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Shem

Post by Shem »

Highway wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 13:11
Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 12:38
lololololololol

I think we should give them all to Jared Kushner, since it's probably his fault they stockpiled them.
"Now Jared, you wanted me to buy all those boxes of the stuff so you could send in the boxtops. I told you we wouldn't get you a different BS snake oil remedy until you used all that up. We can't afford to waste it."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

If anyone is looking for liquid rather than gel alcohol sanitizer, and there is an Ollie's discount store convenient to you (it's a national chain, IIRC): today Jeff and I went to one in Duluth, Georgia, and they had huge bottles of sanitizer from the Faber Distilling Co. (80 percent alcohol, looks like a regular bottle of clear booze except for the huge HAND SANITIZER and DO NOT DRINK! on the label) selling for only $8 for a one-liter. IIRC, that's about the same price Jeff paid for the far smaller 16-ounce bottle he found at Publix a month or so ago.

No gel sanitizers, though. Anecdotally, it appears that the sanitizing alcohol gel remains difficult to find, though the liquid version is becoming downright easy to get hold of.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

FWIW, Colorado seems to have ended the gel sanitizer shortage. I grabbed one backup, but have also stopped being quite so paranoid about it given the 'fuck man it's pretty much all airborne transmission' talk going on these days.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 14:08
FWIW, Colorado seems to have ended the gel sanitizer shortage. I grabbed one backup, but have also stopped being quite so paranoid about it given the 'fuck man it's pretty much all airborne transmission' talk going on these days.
I dont trust that. I'll see what they say in another month.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I mean I wash my hands and don't touch my face, but I'm just not hitting the hand sanitizer quite as hard and often.

ETA also yes pretty much nothing about this thing seems to be really well nailed down other than 'its' a spiky beach ball thing named after shitty beer'.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

My sanitizer consumption is going up mainly because I'm going out more than when this started -- and by "going out more" I mean "going out for ANY reason other than 'buy necessary food' or 'discard garbage/pick up mail'." In addition to Ollie's yesterday, Jeff and I also went to a Salvation Army store (I am still looking for rayon summer shirts but, in light of covid-19, I am NOT going to try on clothes in a store ... and since buying no-return clothes without even trying them on first is very risky, I stick with the stores where most shirts sell in the $.99 to $2.99 range, rather than the pricier thrifts where the really nice shirts start at six dollars and go up from there), a local-chain thrift store, and an immigrant/foreign supermarket where we get "fun" or "luxury" foods and spices as opposed to necessary staples ... NONE of those were businesses I would've willingly patronized in mid-March, when I first went into quarantine. (Even now, I only go on weekdays during business hours.)

Also I really REALLY dislike wearing gloves, which are downright unbearable in the high heat and humidity -- if you don't even like to wear loose cotton fabric in Georgia summer, you'll LOATHE how vinyl, nitrile or latex feels -- I'd rather just go bare-handed and bugnuts with the sanitizer, plus hand lotion as necessary. Especially now that I have those super-convenient little spray-bottle sanitizer pens I can clip to my shirt neckline, rather than have to carry a gel bottle in my hand.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

In Georgia, we are supposedly re-opened with "sensible" restrictions, but there's no consistency to them I've seen. Yesterday Jeff pointed out that when we went to Ollie's (about the size of a full-service supermarket, maybe a little smaller), the sign on the door said they were limiting customers to 75 at a time, then when we stopped at QT (Quik-Trip-- a gas station/convenience store), the sign said limit 71 (that QT is only about twice the size of an old-fashioned trailer-diner). And the three QT cashiers did not wear masks. (Actually, one did -- an earloop mask dangling off ONE ear, leaving his face entirely exposed.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I suppose this counts as an admission of sorts: for years, Jeff and I have had an American Tourister bag designed to hold toiletries while traveling, and also hang on the back of a hotel-bathroom door in such a way that the toiletries are all relatively easy to access when the bag is opened. It's definitely intended for road-tripping rather than modern TSA air travel, with things like "cylindrical pockets the perfect size to hold standard, rather than travel-size, bottles of shampoo and conditioner." I always kept it fully stocked with copies of all of our toiletries and grooming items, so if we went anywhere from a sudden overnight trip to a sudden several-days-away, we'd be able to properly bathe, shave, trim our nails, brush our teeth (with a full-size tube of toothpaste), etc., and when we weren't traveling, the bag occupied an entire shelf of the (roughly) 5' tall, foot-wide metal IKEA etagere in our bathroom.

But nowadays I could really use that shelf for other purposes, what with all the extra things we've had to acquire and store since coronavirus started, so last night I went through the toiletries bag, took out all the "consumable/might leak, melt or go bad" stuff -- soap, toothpaste, conditioner, sunblock, etc. --- and left only the "permanent" items (comb, brush, tweezers and the like), then put the toiletries bag, now empty of toiletries, into the big suitcase in the storage closet. I doubt we'll be doing many overnight stays away from home again, until such time as we no longer need all those coronavirus supplies anymore, and who the hell knows when that will be.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jeff had already left for work when I got up today. Judging from what I saw in the bathroom garbage can, it looks like he gave himself a haircut this morning. I'm very curious to see the results.

ETA, one hour later: I sent him a message about it, and he wrote back: "I cut it yesterday right before my shower. You saw me with it several times. This was my third such self-trim." Urk.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 16:45
Jeff had already left for work when I got up today. Judging from what I saw in the bathroom garbage can, it looks like he gave himself a haircut this morning. I'm very curious to see the results.

ETA, one hour later: I sent him a message about it, and he wrote back: "I cut it yesterday right before my shower. You saw me with it several times. This was my third such self-trim." Urk.
Apparently he does an acceptable job!

I need to shear myself again, tonight...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

So now I'm wondering -- not specifically about Jeff and Eric, just people in general -- for those who did get regular professional short haircuts before the pandemic, got shaggy in quarantine, eventually did self-cuts out of desperation, and presumably by the time this ends (I'm estimating a minimum two years before c-19 ceases to be any threat, whether due to vaccine, herd immunity or an affordable, effective, readily available treatment) these own-hair cutters will have had enough practice to be quite proficient at it, how many will resume the (rather costly) habit of getting professional cuts again, versus how many will decide "Y'know, this is pretty easy, and doing it myself is actually more convenient than going to the barber shop or salon?"

I know for some people, the barber or salon is not merely "a necessary service," but a social experience. Especially things like the local barbershop or "beauty shop" salon in black communities, pre-pandemic. Or it's a fun indulgence you do with your friends, like "let's take a spa day." (Something I remember from my long-ago stint on the phone sex line --- though it did not make it into the resulting story, due to space limitations --- the one actually sweet guy I talked to, whose fantasy was along the lines of "first time with a woman he's loved for a long while," rather than the more down-and-dirty callers -- when he was describing the super-romantic date we'd go on before we went to bed, he said something about me going to the "beauty parlor" --not in the context of "Jesus, I need to spiffy myself up" but "I'd spend some fun time hanging out with my girlfriends/being pampered, and he's happy to pay for it because he wants ME to be happy." And I thought that was very sweet, even though in reality, the idea of spending an afternoon in a salon would drive me absolutely bugnuts with boredom.)

But for those who never viewed going to the barbershop or hair salon as a fun social thing, merely a necessary and sometimes inconvenient chore they have to do -- how many of them will resume paying for professionals to do it, after deciding doing it themselves is not just cheaper, but also easier and more convenient than going out to have it done? It's not like "changing your car's oil" or some other inherently messy, dirty job -- many people who have the space, ability and tools (or could easily get them) to change their own oil would still rather pay to have that done, not even to save time but to save themselves and their clothes getting all dirty. There's no similar incentive with cutting your own hair (especially if you're someone with a very short, frequently cut style) --- the worst mess potential you get is some very short hair clippings, easy to sweep or vacuum up, especially if you first take the minimal trouble to stand on some type of mat or towel to catch the cuttings.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

My situation is that a haircut is cheap, my barber does a much better job than I do, and I've been getting my hair cut by him for the last 34 years.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Huh. Well, if you've been getting cuts from the same guy for 34 years, that may not count as a "fun social thing" but it's definitely a relationship of a sort. I wonder how answers might be different, from people whose barber is not "same guy for the past 34 years" but "whoever's available today at SuperCuts."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I am the ultimate trend setter. I've been cutting my own hair since 2013.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I didn't answer originally because I'm not really in the category you addressed, but there's a big difference for me between a "competent" haircut and a _good_ haircut. I'm so happy I upgraded from $20/visit barber cuts to $45/visit salon cuts, makes my hair look _way_ better.

But also I'm doing a longer enhance-the-curls cut and not a generic short trim.

Highway

Post by Highway »

I'm going the other way, and haven't cut my hair since November 2018.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I'm only half-joking, possibly a quarter-joking, when I say: I'm thinking of making a new addition to my household stash of covid-avoidance supplies -- a large bottle of some extremely pungent and highly noxious cologne, so as to inspire people to respect the six-foot boundary around me. Maybe Axe? I hear consistently bad things about the smell of Axe.

Since I already made the switch from sanitizing gel to liquid spray in refillable clip bottles, all I'd have to do is add a few drops of the cologne to my current in-use 80% alcohol spritzer.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Random sciencey observation not specifically about c-19, but that's the only reason it has come to my attention: I don't know what the "spray to liquid" ratio of a typical spray bottle is -- non-aerosol pump sprays used to convert a given drop of liquid into a spray of far tinier droplets covering a wider area (such as the sanitizing spray pen I now carry whenever I leave the house) -- but it seems to be very high. The little bottle I have only holds 10 milliliters -- one third of an ounce -- according to the label; I've been using that one bottle without a refill for at least least two shopping/errand afternoons (four or five stores in all) plus a couple trips to either toss garbage in the dumpster or get the mail -- all events where I didn't even bother with gloves anymore, merely made profligate use of the sanitizer spray basically EVERY time I touched ANYTHING -- and after all that, the little bottle is still a bit more than half-full. (It's hard to say exactly how much is left without opening it, because the label/sticker obscures most of the bottle itself, but if I hope it on its side, and check the visible fluid levels on both ends of the pen where the label ends, it still appears a little over the halfway mark.

So less than one-sixth of an ounce of 80% alcohol is enough liquid for at least three or four dozen pumps, each spraying droplets over at LEAST an area of a few square inches. I checked the level in the first place because I thought "I've been using so much sanitizer lately, by now I bet that bottle needs a refill" -- nope.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I cracked up at this and then realized oh shit, she's not joking.

"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

To be fair, having dipshits like Jeffrey Tucker whine about how mask-wearers are all grotesquely obedient sheep (or whatever he specifically said) did NOT make "libertarianism" look good at ALL. And a lot of the ultra-vocal anti-mask assholes do identify as "libertarian."

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Ellie wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 23:54
I cracked up at this and then realized oh shit, she's not joking.

Using this crisis as an example that the government is better at dealing with these things is even more risible.