Random covid-19 observations

Eric the .5b

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 06:22
But it's also the case that if things start getting worse again, you'd expect to see that in case numbers well before you see it in deaths.
That's a good point, and it's what I worry about as more and more people I talk to go, "This virus thing is over, time to get back to normal" even while Texas is at the highest number of cases it's ever had.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 11:41
"Cardiac Arrest" = his heart stopped. That kinda happens when you die.
I'm reminded of an old Heinlein novel—one of his juveniles, of all things—where a kid finds out his uncle died of "cardiac arrest" in police custody. He remembers his dad talking about how that's pretty much any death.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 14:19
Aresen wrote:
I'm reminded of an old Heinlein novel—one of his juveniles, of all things—where a kid finds out his uncle died of "cardiac arrest" in police custody. He remembers his dad talking about how that's pretty much any death.
I remebered it from Heinlein, but I couldn't pinpoint the source. (Between Planets or Citizen of the Galaxy perhaps?)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 20:09
Eric the .5b wrote:
Aresen wrote:
I remebered it from Heinlein, but I couldn't pinpoint the source. (Between Planets or Citizen of the Galaxy perhaps?)
Pretty sure it's Between Planets.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Parkinson's being that high is a surprise. Like way more than "conflict"?

Highway

Post by Highway »

It's an interesting visualization, but is really just constant rates for everything except COVID, probably based on historical data. And I wonder where the other deaths are, since it states that excluding COVID it only accounts for ~7% of global deaths annually. In fact, it looks like they left out all of the Top 10 causes of death worldwide, which would probably dwarf everything that they did include on the chart.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD »

Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 20:16
Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 20:09
Eric the .5b wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Pretty sure it's Between Planets.
Yeah, not CotG, unless the memory is very garbled. In CotG, gur cebgntbavfg'f nqbcgvir sngure svther qbrf qvr va cbyvpr phfgbql, ohg ur gnxrf cbvfba, naq vg'f cerggl pyrne gurl jrer tbvat gb rkrphgr uvz naljnl, and there isn't any dad.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 11:55
Yeah, not CotG, unless the memory is very garbled. In CotG, gur cebgntbavfg'f nqbcgvir sngure svther qbrf qvr va cbyvpr phfgbql, ohg ur gnxrf cbvfba, naq vg'f cerggl pyrne gurl jrer tbvat gb rkrphgr uvz naljnl, and there isn't any dad.
Damn you, autocorrect!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Highway wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 09:29
It's an interesting visualization, but is really just constant rates for everything except COVID, probably based on historical data. And I wonder where the other deaths are, since it states that excluding COVID it only accounts for ~7% of global deaths annually. In fact, it looks like they left out all of the Top 10 causes of death worldwide, which would probably dwarf everything that they did include on the chart.
Yes, on reflection I think it's misleading in that respect and should have been noted as such. Then again, we don't know how many C-19 deaths there will be by the end of the year, so it's still possible it could overcome some of those others.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Eric the .5b wrote:
Aresen wrote:
This is correct, though. Cardiac arrest is kind of a catch-all terms in the sense that death more or less equals the heart stopping, and the heart stopping equals death. It gets more confusing because some deaths due to specific heart problems (V-fib among otherwise healthy athletes, for example) are called cardiac arrest, but not all cardiac arrests are the result of heart problems.

It does remind me of a joking line my ex-wife (also a paramedic) used to say: "All rhythms eventually become stable." And the common among ACLS types, "Shock it till you know it."
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I would guess that the Heinlein novel and the cliche both arose long before heart-lung machines were invented and brain death became the new clinical standard.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 12:31
I would guess that the Heinlein novel and the cliche both arose long before heart-lung machines were invented and brain death became the new clinical standard.
That may be the standard in ICU and inpatient settings. In the ER, and certainly in the field, we don't have the time or equipment for such niceties. There, sustained cardiac arrest after however many rounds of treatment equals death. As does DOA.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Number 6 wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 12:34
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
That may be the standard in ICU and inpatient settings. In the ER, and certainly in the field, we don't have the time or equipment for such niceties. There, sustained cardiac arrest after however many rounds of treatment equals death. As does DOA.
Understood. Question, just out of curiosity: do you typically intubate as well while using the defibrillator or whatever?

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 14:02
Number 6 wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 12:34
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Understood. Question, just out of curiosity: do you typically intubate as well while using the defibrillator or whatever?
Usually, yes. At the very least, we put in an airway adjunct of some sort. Personally, I'm usually more inclined to go to some sort of blind insertion airway, simply because that's something that my EMT partner can do while I'm working other things. Placement of an ET tube is reserved to EMTs certified at the Paramedic level. I'm a medic, and can place tubes, but in most field situations, my view is that the marginal improvement in airway control of an ET tube vs. something like a Combitube or Igel isn't worth my stopping interventions like shocks and/or medication that have a better chance of getting the person back.

That being said, placement of an airway adjunct is part of the ACLS algorithm, and there should always be some sort of advanced airway in place fairly soon in the process.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Thread

This is the kind of investigative journalism this country needs right now
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Not an "observation, but a "question" related to C-19 life: where everyday hand sanitizer is concerned, would an "alcohol free sanitizer spray" whose active ingredient is "benzalkonium chloride" (I think -- the ultra-tiny print is hard to read even with a magnifying glass) work as well as the now-standard sanitizer gel?

I ask because I just-now found a cache of what looks like eight pens (complete with clips to attach to your pocket), but according to the label each is a 10ml/.33 oz. bottle of said spray -- all branded with the "Amica" insurance logo. IIRC, I got these at a "Night Market" food festival last autumn, when I made a point of collecting free swag bags from any booth which offered them ... and apparently, when I got home that night, I put them in the almost-empty tiny plastic countertop drawer labeled "eye drops" (but containing only two tiny bottles of same) ... and neglected to add a new label, and soon forgot they were there.

ETA: A quickie search suggests the answer is "better than no sanitizer at all, but not as good as alcohol."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Heh, I remember now: the reason we have so many of those pen-bottles is because, the life insurance company giving them away, two to a swag bag, also included a reusable metal drinking straw and a wire cleaning brush in the bags, and Jeff really liked the brush because it's the perfect size to clean some vaping equipment he has. So a couple hours later, near closing time, the booth still had lots of swag bags to give away and offered us each one even after we admitted we each had one already. So we took it for the brushes and ended up with four of them, plus four metal straws and eight little sanitizer sprays.

That was also where I saw the "Miso Corny" grilled corn shack. In retrospect it all seems semi-ominous, since we had no idea that would be our last food festival because a pandemic would hit before festival season kicked in again.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem »

Jennifer wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 01:16
Not an "observation, but a "question" related to C-19 life: where everyday hand sanitizer is concerned, would an "alcohol free sanitizer spray" whose active ingredient is "benzalkonium chloride" (I think -- the ultra-tiny print is hard to read even with a magnifying glass) work as well as the now-standard sanitizer gel?
FDA was leaning toward banning it as ineffective, but they delayed to allow more time for study.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Shem wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 02:43
Jennifer wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 01:16
FDA was leaning toward banning it as ineffective, but they delayed to allow more time for study.
Aw, rats. On the bright side, those pen/spray bottles still might come in handy: about a month ago Jeff bought a pretty large bottle of alcohol sanitizer, except it is liquid rather than gel, meaning it really wouldn't work to refill the little three-ounce squeeze bottles of sanitizing gel we've been carrying in public since this started. But it sounds like that liquid alcohol sanitizer would be perfect to refill a bottle of "spray," and a spray bottle would likely be more convenient than the gel, especially a bottle in that particular "chunky pen" shape with clip attachment.

I found a ninth pen-spray elsewhere in that bathroom; I have no idea where that extra one came from. Maybe the intern charged with filling the swag bags miscounted and added an extra, and I have completely forgotten that particular discovery? Also -- not that anybody cares -- I misremembered how many swag bags we got from that particular booth: we got seconds from a different booth, as we only have the two brush-and-straw combos (still in their branded drawstring bags). I guess that company was unloading the {presumably ineffective} spray pens in its swag bags four or five at a time.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I just did a minor re-organization of the places where Jeff and I keep our various covid-19 paraphernalia: in the bathroom where we do NOT use the shower or tub, there's a sort of doorless closet (a wide, deep alcove with built-in utilitarian wire shelving): five shelves plus floor space beneath the lowest, and almost an entire shelf dedicated to holding our supply of disposable gloves, disinfecting wipes, and hand sanitizers, NONE of which we bothered keeping on hand before mid-March (except a little bit of sanitizer and a few individually wrapped disinfecting wipes just-in-case for water outages).

In the main room, off the kitchen area, the top of a certain tallish, narrow plastic storage chest of drawers used to be where we'd put things like keys and wallets when we just got in; now the just-got-in spot is elsewhere, and atop the chest is where we keep the face masks: one plastic basket for Jeff's cloth re-usables, a smaller one for mine, and the smallest holding the few unused disposable masks we still have. Also in the front room, closer to the door, is a spot on the counter where we keep the in-use canister of disinfecting wipes (those in the bathroom are unopened), for wiping down things we buy (Jeff mainly does that, since he does the bulk of the shopping these days, early, while I'm asleep). Next to that canister is a small open-top plastic box/bin holding various individually wrapped alcohol wipes, and a large spray bottle of "Microban" (Procter & Gamble's Lysol equivalent, with human coronavirus mentioned on the list of things it kills).

The kitchen part of the front room also features a utilitarian, end-table-sized wood bookcase turned into a makeshift chest of drawers via a plastic open-top bin on each shelf; one of the three bins holds only a blue and black Peruvian-weave fanny-pack, and a black leather purse with an absurdly long strap, so long I can wear the strap diagonally across my chest with the bag hanging at the perfect length to be convenient to reach down into with only one free hand (and since it hangs diagonal across my chest, rather than hanging on one shoulder like my regular purse, I can reach down into it with either hand with no fear of it sliding off my shoulder onto the floor).

These two unfashionable fashion accessories I never wore before the pandemic (well, occasionally the fanny pack for events like "a really sweaty nature hike where I don't want to carry a purse") -- I don't even remember buying or owning the long-strap purse, though clearly I would've bought it in a thrift store somewhere; I found it during my pre-pandemic de-cluttering/ clothes organization -- but now I wear them every time I must run an errand, because they hold and organize my various pandemic paraphernalia in easy-to-access ways: sanitizer bottle, unused gloves, extra just-in-case face masks, clean unused "hold this to pick things off store shelves" cloth squares, kept separate of course from the "cloth squares which are clean but presumed contaminated, because I used them to grab something" ... and if those nine swag-bag spray bottles prove useful as liquid-sanitizer spritzers (even if their current contents are worthless), I'll also need a spot for them (likely on the counter next to the disinfectant wipes, since there really isn't any more room on the storage shelves in the bathroom, and definitely isn't any atop the chest where we keep our masks).

Point being, in an apartment where space is at a premium (both table/furniture-top and shelving, "storage" and "display" spaces), and where I have made several major de-cluttering pro-organizational efforts of late, I have to dedicate something like four shelf-feet of space (counting shelf, countertop and chest/small-tabletop space), and close to another cubic foot of "plastic bin/makeshift chest-of-drawer" space, solely to two people's covid-19-avoidance supplies. That also does not count Jeff's old military-surplus black vest covered with enormous pockets (I am envious of that vest and its pocket space), said pockets stuffed with his personal pandemic supplies, and when he's not wearing it, the vest resides over the back of one of our kitchen-table* chairs.

Oh, yeah: also we had to buy a bunch of mesh laundry bags for washing our masks, one per mask per washing, and since our tiny laundry room is at a premium for any storage space I drove a nail in the wall above the little white shelving unit in there, and on it hung another of the plastic bins to hold the empty mesh bags.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

FWIW, those little spray pens work EXCELLENTLY with the liquid alcohol sanitizer. And kudos to me: not only did I remember "Hey, I think I still have some of those ultra-mini funnels I used to use to fill oil candles," I remembered exactly where they were ON THE FIRST TRY.

I dumped the useless spray out of the pens, so now all of them are empty except for the one holding the alcohol. Jeff is already so used to his little three-ounce gel bottle that he can retrieve and apply it one-handed ... but his hands are a lot bigger than mine. Next time I venture out, I think I am going to bring sanitizer in a spray bottle instead of the gel.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Captain Obvious insight: just got back from some minor errands and can confirm that carrying and using a little spray bottle is MUCH more convenient than the bottle of gel sanitizer. Especially since the clip on the cap means I can attach it to my shirt neckline rather than have to keep it in a pocket or pocket-equivalent.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Just saw people talking about needing a bra for zoom meetings and I’m...confused
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

nicole wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 21:45
Just saw people talking about needing a bra for zoom meetings and I’m...confused
Are pants still a requirement?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex