dbcooper

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by dbcooper »

LOL, god damn it.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Awesome. Truly the dankest of timelines. Truly.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Hahahaaa. You know that media accuracy chart? This has to take NPR on a journey south.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 16:48
Hahahaaa. You know that media accuracy chart? This has to take NPR on a journey south.
Meh. They'll just get a different intern to do their twitters.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Apparently the virus is still out there, and numbers of new cases are higher than ever in many states, but attention is focused elsewhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... OFCN7V0mjU
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

thoreau wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 00:05
Apparently the virus is still out there, and numbers of new cases are higher than ever in many states, but attention is focused elsewhere.

Yeah. I can believe that. Cant say I've seen an increase in cases though.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 00:29
thoreau wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 00:05

Yeah. I can believe that. Cant say I've seen an increase in cases though.
Colorado isn't on the list of states with increases, so it makes sense that you wouldn't see it.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Cases are spiking in Texas, but deaths are slowly, unsteadily descending. As I watch, Nate Silvers is going slowly mad, looking at the stats and trying to work out the reality from incomplete information.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

"Cases are spiking but deaths are declining" is easy to explain as long as it only lasts a couple weeks. It's after that two-week-or-so point that it gets really confusing.

(But it's also confusing that we're rolling the entire country together into one set of numbers.)

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

And now we've got the WHO saying you're almost certainly not going to catch the virus from someone who is asymptomatic. Which would be great if it were true and we could trust it.

My wife wants to go on a family road trip up to Wyoming for a couple weeks and at this point I'd really like to do some traveling on my own, not to mention get the rest of the family out of the house during the day.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Jadagul wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 01:28
"Cases are spiking but deaths are declining" is easy to explain as long as it only lasts a couple weeks. It's after that two-week-or-so point that it gets really confusing.
Not necessarily. If cases are spiking among low-risk groups, but high-risk groups are taking better precautions, then deaths could still decline.

Also, it appears that the WHO announcement was about people who never develop symptoms, which is different from people who have yet to develop symptoms. Those who are infected but never develop symptoms are asymptomatic, while those who are infected and will develop symptoms are pre-symptomatic. The announcement doesn't say that pre-symptomatic people are safe.
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 01:38
And now we've got the WHO saying you're almost certainly not going to catch the virus from someone who is asymptomatic. Which would be great if it were true and we could trust it.

My wife wants to go on a family road trip up to Wyoming for a couple weeks and at this point I'd really like to do some traveling on my own, not to mention get the rest of the family out of the house during the day.
Yes, but what the WHO is counting as asymptomatic in that study is not what a normal person would consider asymptomatic. The WHO specifically excludes those who are pre-symptomatic and those who have very mild symptoms (where they are not clinically asymptomatic, but the layperson would think they are asymptomatic).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote:

(But it's also confusing that we're rolling the entire country together into one set of numbers.)
You can find state numbers, but more generally, I was given to understand that had to do with the increased ability to test.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:

Or pre-symptomatic! That sounds like some bullshit!

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 05:57
Jadagul wrote:

You can find state numbers, but more generally, I was given to understand that had to do with the increased ability to test.
You can find state numbers, but people often look at national numbers, and those can hide a lot of variability.

And oh, yeah, I was forgetting about increased testing but that matters too. As does Thoreau's point about Simpson's paradox.

But it's also the case that if things start getting worse again, you'd expect to see that in case numbers well before you see it in deaths.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 06:19
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

Or pre-symptomatic! That sounds like some bullshit!
Might have misread that one. It was during breakfast.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... #dashboard

At the risk of annoying everyone with my hangup, deaths are still going up. We just arent calling it covid deaths. Which is strange to me.

Also we still arent counting New York in most numbers as well as it taking 1 to 8 weeks to get accurate numbers.

Theres a lot of wish washy stuff out there and I only believe deaths above the normal trend. And it's a lot o' death.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 08:55
Theres a lot of wish washy stuff out there and I only believe deaths above the normal trend. And it's a lot o' death.
Are killings by cops up or down?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

"Cardiac Arrest" = his heart stopped. That kinda happens when you die.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 11:03
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Honestly? Probably down.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 11:57
Aresen wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 11:03
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Honestly? Probably down.
Sometimes death by cop takes several weeks to become symptomatic, so we'll have to wait and see.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Honestly feel at this point I went really wrong in life by not just becoming this guy

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

nicole wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 11:29

The alternate conspiracy theory i read is that people didn’t think it was entirely constitutional for him to have this presidency, a third term, so this is impeachment by other means.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

That is a lot of vices to pile up.