Random covid-19 observations

Hugh Akston

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Hugh Akston »

Meanwhile:
In recent days, President Trump has seemed skeptical of the utility of tests, even though White House employees are tested for the virus every day. After Katie Miller, a member of Vice President Mike Pence’s staff, tested positive for the virus today, Trump said that the result illustrated why “the whole concept of tests aren’t necessarily great.”

“She was tested very recently and tested negative, and today I guess, for some reason, she tested positive,” the president said. “The tests are perfect, but something can happen between a test, where, it’s good, and then something happens, and then all of a sudden …” He did not finish his thought.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I mean god damn it you guys it just hurts to read that kind of shit. It's bad enough from the likes of Louis Gohmer but his idiocy is at least diluted by 535 other idiots, most of at least somewhat lesser potency. But god damn it you guys.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Exactly two months ago -- March 12 (I know the precise date via recent-ish Facebook posts), Jeff and I left home for what we *thought* would be an ordinary "run errands on Jeff's day off" afternoon ... but the Target we visited had a completely empty paper aisle, and by the time we visited Kroger a couple hours later, the county schools shut down, and we left Kroger without buying anything because the checkout lines stretched all the way to the back of the store.

Exactly two months, since I last left my home expecting things to be "normal" via pre-pandemic standards.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway »

Yeah, our last "normal" thing was going out for my birthday with friends on Thursday the 12th and Friday the 13th of March. Music Trivia and karaoke on Thursday, and Karaoke and dinner on Friday. Had a really good time, and since coming home on Saturday haven't seen them, or anything 'normal'.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Went in for surgery on Mar 4 and that was it for me.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Other than working from home my routine hasn't really changed much with everything going on. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I can't remember what normal was since I work for the weirdest hospital on the planet or some such.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Took wife for birthday dinner at our favorite gastropub on Sat. 3/14. Governor shut down the state the following week.

I think the wife started teaching online around 3/10.

Being "essential" with a job in the food industry means I'm still going to the office everyday, so much hasn't changed for me. I do miss going out to dinner at favorite spots, and seeing a few close friends in person.

I also miss grocery shopping when I get the urge to try new recipes. Not that I couldn't, but we've been doing the order & pick-up thing for the last several weeks, so most of our essentials are OK. I just really hate wearing a mask, so actually going to the store and wandering around for ingredients I normally wouldn't buy seems like a both a chore and a luxury at this point. The order & pick-up thing leaves a lot to be desired if you have favorite brands or are actually choosy about which produce you want. Plus, half the time I'm in a cooking mood, I don't know exactly what I want to do, so wandering the aisles is kinda fun. (My wife hates this about me. Groceries are definitely a chore for her even in normal times.)
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Might be different in the cities, but throughout the middle of the state MO is like, fuck this shit and moving on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole »

The lakefront has been closed for eight weeks and I am no longer part of society.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
13 May 2020, 10:30
The lakefront has been closed for eight weeks and I am no longer part of society.
But really, were you ever?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

nicole wrote:
13 May 2020, 10:30
Remind me, nicole, just when did you consider yourself 'part of society?' :P

*runs away*

(warren beat me to it)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I feel kind of bemused now, to consider how naive my two-months-younger self was: why, I remember thinking it was a big deal when the local schools announced they intended to close for an entire fortnight!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
13 May 2020, 11:00
I feel kind of bemused now, to consider how naive my two-months-younger self was: why, I remember thinking it was a big deal when the local schools announced they intended to close for an entire fortnight!
They'd have never made that announcement because neither students nor teachers likely know what a fortnight is.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 May 2020, 11:47
Jennifer wrote:
13 May 2020, 11:00
They'd have never made that announcement because neither students nor teachers likely know what a fortnight is.
It's that game where snails race to cover a furlong.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Jasper wrote:
13 May 2020, 08:28
The order & pick-up thing leaves a lot to be desired if you have favorite brands or are actually choosy about which produce you want.
I've found the occasional substitution to be enjoyably serendipitous. I would never buy "pancake and sausage on a stick" (it was substituted for corn dogs), but it turns out to be the most amazing stoner munchie food.

*Still* not possible to find flour or alcohol (the cleaning kind) among the grocery delivery businesses. Might have to venture out into stores for the alcohol, hoping places like CVS have been rationing and might have some.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jeff (who usually wakes up far earlier than I do) has done all of the shopping for the past month and more, going to stores early in the day, and overall our grocery prices have gone up because, while he doesn't do any wonky substitutions, there are a lot of things like "I always used to buy the store brand version of this staple or ingredient, but now Jeff often gets a national brand because that's all they had available."
dead_elvis wrote:
13 May 2020, 11:59
*Still* not possible to find flour or alcohol (the cleaning kind) among the grocery delivery businesses. Might have to venture out into stores for the alcohol, hoping places like CVS have been rationing and might have some.
Heh three weeks ago Jeff made what is, by pandemic standards, a great "score" including many of the coronavirus-related "wish list" items I'd added to the shopping list: two boxes of latex gloves, two canisters of store-brand disinfectant wipes, disinfectant/antimicrobial spray with "human coronavirus" included on the list of nasties it kills, a (small) bottle of bleach ... but he STILL couldn't find any rubbing alcohol.

I wonder if you could make do with Everclear or other 190 or 189-proof alcoholic "beverages" (scare quotes intentional)?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jennifer wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:25
Jeff (who usually wakes up far earlier than I do) has done all of the shopping for the past month and more, going to stores early in the day, and overall our grocery prices have gone up because, while he doesn't do any wonky substitutions, there are a lot of things like "I always used to buy the store brand version of this staple or ingredient, but now Jeff often gets a national brand because that's all they had available."
dead_elvis wrote:
13 May 2020, 11:59
Heh three weeks ago Jeff made what is, by pandemic standards, a great "score" including many of the coronavirus-related "wish list" items I'd added to the shopping list: two boxes of latex gloves, two canisters of store-brand disinfectant wipes, disinfectant/antimicrobial spray with "human coronavirus" included on the list of nasties it kills, a (small) bottle of bleach ... but he STILL couldn't find any rubbing alcohol.

I wonder if you could make do with Everclear or other 190 or 189-proof alcoholic "beverages" (scare quotes intentional)?
anyone other than alcoholics who need to know that it's poisonous alcohol to keep from drinking it should find those to be acceptable. Or if you need some very specific level of purity in the water portion. But for disinfecting and most solvent needs, everclear et al will do the trick. Hell, you can use most cask-strength scotch as a hand sanitizer as long as the proof on the particular cask is 120+.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

70% ipa is ideal but 91% ipa is fine too. Just not as good.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 May 2020, 13:06
70% ipa is ideal but 91% ipa is fine too. Just not as good.
India Pale Ale?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

The thing about using grain alcohol for cleaning is that to kill COVID reliably it needs to be at least 60% alcohol. So if you're just spraying it on a hard surface, Everclear will work. But if you want to make hand sanitizer out of it, you probably want to add aloe vera gel or else it'll dry the fuck out of your hands (also be liquid and splash everywhere). Everclear 151 won't be high enough percentage once you're done mixing. Everclear 190 probably would, although I can't get that anywhere around here -- dunno if that's a Minnesota thing.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
13 May 2020, 13:31
Everclear 151
I didn't know that was a thing. The whole point of Everclear, is that it's 190 proof.
Back in my twee twenties, I knew guys that mixed drinks with it, or set it on fire. But as far as I'm concerned the only thing it's good for is spiking fruit punch.

ETA
According to Wiki, it's bottled as low as 120 proof. And also this:
Sale of the 190-proof variation is prohibited in some states, which led Luxco to start selling the 189-proof version.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Not sure what the actual limit by law is (the higher-proof Everclear isn't legal here) but as a practical matter Bacardi 151 is the strongest thing I can get. Which gets one past the 70% mark but is not very economical.

Fun quarantine project: is it possible with only common kitchen items to take a cheapest-ass gallon of vodka or similar and distill it further to get to 70% alcohol.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

nicole

Post by nicole »

"Actually" higher proof is not necessarily better because if it's too high it will evaporate before it can kill the virus
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
13 May 2020, 13:59
Not sure what the actual limit by law is (the higher-proof Everclear isn't legal here) but as a practical matter Bacardi 151 is the strongest thing I can get. Which gets one past the 70% mark but is not very economical.

Fun quarantine project: is it possible with only common kitchen items to take a cheapest-ass gallon of vodka or similar and distill it further to get to 70% alcohol.
A tea kettle, copper tubing, rubber hose and some hose clamps and Bob's your uncle.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT