Random covid-19 observations

thoreau

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by thoreau »

I don't know about China Beige Book, but I know that the resume request I just got is from a Chinese company with US facilities, and their engineers are currently overworked and need help.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Shem

Post by Shem »

dbcooper wrote:
05 May 2020, 21:48
Interesting short interview with Leland Miller, CEO of China Beige Book, talking about how much China's economy can recover this year.

https://podbay.fm/podcast/326301337/e/1588610160

Some background:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/china ... 2020-04-29
Because it’s more targeted than the firm’s regular surveys, this special supplement aims to show “how corporate China is handling the aftermath of the virus,” China Beige Book CEO Leland Miller said in an interview. “The answer is, not well.”

The good news is that almost all — 91% — of the more than 500 Chinese companies surveyed had reopened by late April, and about three-quarters were working on-site again, but just 42% were able to operate at more than half their capacity.

Worse, demand for goods and services from Chinese companies has plummeted. Foreign orders have fallen more than twice as fast as domestic ones, with orders from the U.S. contracting the most among China’s major trading partners.

Crucially, 81% of executives at surveyed companies said they’re worried about a resurgence of the coronavirus in the next three months. And 69% say April’s tepid pace of economic activity may be “as good as it gets” for the next several months.

The responses to this survey suggest the economy is likely still contracting, Miller told MarketWatch. Yet the Chinese government has not yet admitted that they’re not likely to hit their 6% GDP growth target for 2020, even though “mathematically that cannot be reached in any scenario,” Miller believes.
BTW, anyone know if China Beige Book has a good track record on forecasting?
They're ok. A bit too credulous for my tastes, but I wouldn't immediately dismiss them like I would some others.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Cool. Thanks.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

MiL sent wife 20 texts with facts from Plandemic.

Shem

Post by Shem »

JasonL wrote:
07 May 2020, 09:47
Until you brought this up I had no idea what Plandemic was and I'm not gonna lie; I now kind of hate you for doing it.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Someone who works closely with Trump has just tested positive.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/politics ... index.html

Please please please please please please please let this be the thing that takes him down. Yeah, it's a 1 in 14,000,605 chance, but still.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote:
07 May 2020, 10:42
JasonL wrote:
07 May 2020, 09:47
Until you brought this up I had no idea what Plandemic was and I'm not gonna lie; I now kind of hate you for doing it.
I didn't have the fortitude to watch the 1½ hour original video. I'm kind of "another Youtube conspiracy theory about COVID-19." *shrug*
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

You guys just aren't plugged into real truth like I am.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

You people. Smh. Arguing about youtube videos and covid "facts" while I'm over here swimming in cash from being in with the illuminati big pharma new world order peeps.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 May 2020, 14:17
You people. Smh. Arguing about youtube videos and covid "facts" while I'm over here swimming in cash from being in with the illuminati big pharma new world order peeps.
I do better than that. I own shares in big pharma. (Merck, to be precise.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Oh yeah? Well I'll just say that the demand for getting rid of bodies hasn't been greater since Katrina
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

20200507_095002.jpg
20200507_095002.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 528 times
This was the meat aisle this morning at the local safeway. (They did have quite a bit of chicken, thanks Maryland)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Huh. Does Virginia have an anti-price-gauging law? Colorado is home to one of the meat packers that shut down, but stores are free to raise prices so they can pay more to restock the shelves, so maybe that's why we're good on beef. I mean, the pickings are slimmer than usual, but there are no big holes in the inventory. When I went shopping this weekend I had my choice of a bunch of different kinds of steak, plenty of options for ground beef, plenty of pork and chicken. Also bison, some lamb, lots of brats and italian sausage and a full selection in the hot dog case.

The TP aisle was mostly double packs of Brawny towels and a shitton of store-brand and Kleenex brand TP, but there was also some Cottonelle and I think Angel Soft. Didn't see Charmin or Scott. The Kleenex aisle was mostly store-brand with just a few boxes of Kleenex brand tissues. Didn't see any Puffs.

OJ selection was light, but there were still plenty of options, as well as options for dairy and non-dairy and eggs and butter and cheese and yogurt and bread and beer.

But overall if you needed a thing it was available to buy, just maybe not exactly your brand.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

lunchstealer wrote:
07 May 2020, 21:46
Huh. Does Virginia have an anti-price-gauging law?
I have no idea, but one thing I did observe is that Tostitos that normally were 2 for 7 bucks were today 2 for 9 bucks.

But also that a lot of stuff in the meat section was stacked somewhat off from where the price labels were so I’m really wondering if, in addition to a run they probably have had in the last two days with the meat news being everywhere, they also had a refrigeration issue that spoiled whatever was left of their stock. For instance, one of the shelves usually has refrigerated (but not frozen) pre packaged semi-prepared food (like pork bbq and potatoes au gratin) but that was wiped out too. In contrast a nearby bin still had a few frozen bubba burgers and some other brands, and whole lot of bubba turkey burgers.

And like I said, whole chickens for 1.99 a pound, and pieces and parts of chicken at usual Perdue prices (but not usual sale prices)

Oh yeah, today is the first day I’ve seen any paper products in that Safeway in 2 months.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I drove past a tire place today that was announcing on their electronic sign, "HOAX-19! MADE IN THE USA"

uhhhh not to be all "cancel culture" but this doesn't make me want to shop there
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Shem

Post by Shem »

lunchstealer wrote:
Huh. Does Virginia have an anti-price-gauging law? Colorado is home to one of the meat packers that shut down, but stores are free to raise prices so they can pay more to restock the shelves, so maybe that's why we're good on beef.
You're also less than 500 miles from the numbers 1 through 7 beef producing states in the US. In terms of top-10 close at hand, he's got...Kentucky, at number 8.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

A few days ago, I was scrolling through the recent deaths on wikipedia and saw this: "Kiing Shooter, 24, American rapper, COVID-19"

I thought, "that's terrible, that's very young," and didn't look into it further. However, when I refreshed the page later that day, it said: "Kiing Shooter, 24, American rapper, liver disease and COVID-19."

This prompted me to check his main wiki page, which said he died from "complications from COVID-19." I checked the linked article and it said this:
Shooter was recently hospitalized for liver problems. On April 24th, he shared a photo from a hospital bed revealing that suggested his issues with alcohol have caused major health problems for him.
That would make sense. I could certainly see how someone with liver damage from hard drinking at age 24 might be more susceptible to COVID than the average 24-year-old. It also seemed like something that should be listed on his wiki page and the summary of his cause of death, though.

Now the recent death listing again reads: "Kiing Shooter, 24, American rapper, COVID-19" with no mention of liver issues. However, his main wiki page now says he died from liver failure.

This neatly encapsulates why I have some concerns with all the deaths being attributed to COVID-19 without further details being given.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
08 May 2020, 10:19
This neatly encapsulates why I have some concerns with all the deaths being attributed to COVID-19 without further details being given.
I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend, that hospitals have a financial incentive to diagnose COVID.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Shem wrote:
08 May 2020, 00:52
lunchstealer wrote:
Huh. Does Virginia have an anti-price-gauging law? Colorado is home to one of the meat packers that shut down, but stores are free to raise prices so they can pay more to restock the shelves, so maybe that's why we're good on beef.
You're also less than 500 miles from the numbers 1 through 7 beef producing states in the US. In terms of top-10 close at hand, he's got...Kentucky, at number 8.

And fwiw I went to a different Safeway today on my way back from Alexandria, and they were fully stocked with everything. They did have signs that listed purchase limits, and more notably, nothing (except the 5 buck a pound meat special) had ‘club card’ prices.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Andrew wrote:
A few days ago, I was scrolling through the recent deaths on wikipedia and saw this: "Kiing Shooter, 24, American rapper, COVID-19"

I thought, "that's terrible, that's very young," and didn't look into it further. However, when I refreshed the page later that day, it said: "Kiing Shooter, 24, American rapper, liver disease and COVID-19."

This prompted me to check his main wiki page, which said he died from "complications from COVID-19." I checked the linked article and it said this:
Shooter was recently hospitalized for liver problems. On April 24th, he shared a photo from a hospital bed revealing that suggested his issues with alcohol have caused major health problems for him.
That would make sense. I could certainly see how someone with liver damage from hard drinking at age 24 might be more susceptible to COVID than the average 24-year-old. It also seemed like something that should be listed on his wiki page and the summary of his cause of death, though.

Now the recent death listing again reads: "Kiing Shooter, 24, American rapper, COVID-19" with no mention of liver issues. However, his main wiki page now says he died from liver failure.

That’s fair enough, but everything else I have seen shows that deaths overall are way way up for the particular time of year we’ve been in. So yeah, some deaths may be technically miscategorized, but it definitely seems like people are dying at a rate that they wouldn’t have been absent the Coronavirus.

Eta one thing about ‘juking the stats’ that The Wire talked about (but I believe I had read about it earlier) is that it was always much harder to do with homicides, because at the end of the day, there is usually a dead body to point to that would not be otherwise there. So those stats were generally the most reliable to get trend lines and differential comparisons between administrative units.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

It may end up being impossible to untangle COVID-19 deaths from deaths caused by overwhelmed medical systems. Especially when a lot of the dead aren't tested.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Shem

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote:
08 May 2020, 12:08
Andrew wrote:
I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend, that hospitals have a financial incentive to diagnose COVID.
Is your friend REO Speedwagon?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I had a sudden bout of coughing yesterday -- dry coughing, no less -- and had a moment of minor freakout (y'all know exactly what had me so worried) ... until I realized "I'm going through and removing items from a box I haven't touched since packing it in Virginia almost four years ago now, and as a result I'm displacing and inhaling a LOT of dust."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Comparison of antibody test kits from the FDA, based on info submitted to it:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/eme ... erformance

Independent testing of Abbot's laboratory ELISA test against RT-PCR results looks like it confirmed test quality.

https://jcm.asm.org/content/early/2020/ ... M.00941-20
Slip inside a sleeping bag.